DRM? Humble bundle?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

pzPat
level0

DRM? Humble bundle?

Postby pzPat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I just got the humble bundle for android to play uplink on my tablet. I have been waiting for this for a long time! Loved this game on PC years ago wanted to revisit it. After a while I was playing on my tablet, working great... but then it told me I had an illegal copy and it won't let me play anymore. What's the fix for this?
Apportable
level1
level1

Postby Apportable » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:19 am

Hi there,

I'm a representative of the company that ported Uplink for Android. We're working on this issue and will have a fix out soon. There's just some anti-piracy legacy code left in the app that wasn't scrubbed for the Humble Bundle launch. Thanks for your patience.

Christina
The Apportable Team
pzPat
level0

Postby pzPat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, since I am talking about bugs I noticed that if I have a lot of connections avaiable on the map and start linking them on the 1st or second link the game crashes.
pzPat
level0

Postby pzPat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Ok, I figured it out. It happens when I fast forward anytime too much. Please hurry with a hotfix! I want to play
Apportable
level1
level1

Postby Apportable » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:49 am

Hi again,

We completed the fix for this issue and it should be live on the Humble Bundle site now. Please download the update and let us know if it doesn't resolve the problem. Thanks for your patience!

Christina
The Apportable Team
mattpedigo
level0

Postby mattpedigo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:46 am

Apportable wrote:Hi again,

We completed the fix for this issue and it should be live on the Humble Bundle site now. Please download the update and let us know if it doesn't resolve the problem. Thanks for your patience!

Christina
The Apportable Team

I have been experiencing the same problem. The game crashes a lot and I got locked out of an account I had worked on for hours (as I'm writing a review for the app in the next few days).

I updated through the Humble Bundle app and that account is still listed as illegal. I cleared the cash and it's the same thing.

I'm using an unrooted Nexus 7.

I'd love to give this game a great review as it has always been one of my favorites. But deadline may not allow it if I can't play the game correctly.

Any ideas?
Apportable
level1
level1

Postby Apportable » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 am

It appears that save files which were being modified when an anti-piracy lock-out occurred then become disabled even with the new version. So, with version 1.0.3 you can play the game forever without being locked out, but only if you start a new game. We're investigating this issue right now to see whether this can be changed.

Christina
The Apportable Team
Last edited by Apportable on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattpedigo
level0

Postby mattpedigo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 am

Apportable wrote:It appears that save files which were being modified when an anti-piracy lock-out occurred then become disabled even with the new version. So, with version 1.0.3 you can play the game forever without being locked out, but only if you start a new game. We're investigating this issue right now to see whether this can be changed.

Thank you for investigating. If there needs to be any coding or changing of game files, let me know. I am pretty adept.

Another thing to note (and I'm not sure it's a bug or not) is that when I load the game with the 1.03 update, it still displays as 1.01.

Again, thank you for your time.
Stonebot
level0

Postby Stonebot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:53 am

Christina,

I've been in contact with you a bit via E-mail a bit and I'm having a problem even creating a new account with the new update. This is after my initial account was locked out off. The app crashes while trying to connect to the new gateway created after typing in your account info.

Ethan
Stonebot
level0

Postby Stonebot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 am

So I was able to get it to create a new account after redownloading the apk and installing it. Unfortunately, after playing for a bit, it locked out my account again saying illegal copy. It happened while I sped up time in the mission list. This was the cause both times.
Apportable
level1
level1

Postby Apportable » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:17 am

@Stonebot - Thanks for reporting this. We'll look into it right away.

Edit: Could you type the exact text of the anti-piracy message you received?
Apportable
level1
level1

Postby Apportable » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:53 am

So, our theory right now is that people who are on 1.0.3 and find their agents "locked out of the game" are actually just dying/being neutralized in an in-game way. A good way to check for this is to try to log in using a dead/locked agent and look at the obituary, i.e. the explanation line right under the agent's name. If it says something like "worked for such and such company," then you died of "natural causes." If it says something about an illegal copy of Uplink, then that happened because of the anti-piracy software. Another good way to check is to look at your final score - if it's above 0, then you died of "natural causes."

It's confusing because accounts that get "killed" as part of the game receive a message which sounds like they were caught hacking, which is how you would actually "lose" a game that's built around being a successful hacker. Unfortunately, it can be confusing in a real-life sense if you think that it's anti-piracy code.

Anyway, if anyone who's still experiencing this issue could screenshot their obituary screen or let us know what the text under the name says, that would be super helpful. Thanks!

Christina
The Apportable Team
Stonebot
level0

Postby Stonebot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:29 am

Hey Christina, it said it was a illegal copy and to purchase the full version of uplink, final score of 0. However something weird just happened. It allowed me to connect to the account that had the anti piracy message and then about a minute later it said I was caught hacking by a corporation...
Stonebot
level0

Postby Stonebot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:37 am

So I just tried to creates new account and now it's crashing before it can fully create the account. Seems to be a repeat of what happened with me earlier. If the account is disabled via the anti piracy message it crashes before a new account van be fully created.
Stonebot
level0

Postby Stonebot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:55 am

Here is a screen shot of the screen it always locks up on. It's pretty random for which item it freezes on

EDIT: it continues to do this even after redownloading and installing over. Had to delete and then install at this point.

Return to “General”