Am I being framed?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

xRUSSx
level0

Am I being framed?

Postby xRUSSx » Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 am

Hi,

In Uplink I have accounts at each bank (to slow down tracing), and while playing I noticed that someone deposited over 600000 credits to one of my accounts (@ Electronica Corp Intl Bank). Am I being framed? Is this some game glitch, where my account number was just just randomly used in some event that took place in the game, and if so, what does it mean for me?

I have not done any bank hacking missions myself yet... I wasn't sure what to do, so I transferred the money to my uplink bank account and deleted the transfer info from the account statement (I wrote down the IP of the bank where the money came from but unfortunately forgot to write down the account number before deleting it).

Just wondering if I am about to be busted for something I didn't do or what...

BTW: This happened right after I completed 7 (I did 7 all at once) "Removal job" type hacks, sending 7 hackers to jail, which seems like a strange coincidence...
xRUSSx
level0

Postby xRUSSx » Wed May 16, 2012 7:11 am

I did a little digging and was able to figure out which account the transfer came from.
It was Christopher Bennet. No idea who this is... He does not have transactions with Uplink, but had a large (1100000c ) deposit from an account owned by Christopher Gulliford. Gulliford appears to be an Uplink agent (has monthly fee deductions), but I am not sure who he is. His statement shows that the 1100000c was deposited into his account from a Matt Darley, who appears to be Uplink agent "Bully" and happens to be one of the 7 people I helped send to jail in one of the "Removal job" missions. Not much else (relevant) in Matt's bank statement other than a log of another 1100000c deposited to another account...

I still have no idea what this is all about, but I have not been busted (as of yet anyway)...

In any case I am probably going to have to start over anyway, as I think I am way behind on the story-line mission (it really hasn't started yet... I got the email from the dead agent, but held on to it without doing anything till I had enough money to get the software, etc I wanted to use to investigate, and I think I waited too long there).
---
the guide suggests skipping lower software versions and saving up for the highest versions, which I was trying to do, but it was taking a long time (too long? (game time) to do this). The problem is that the early missions do not pay much and there are not that many low-level missions listed on the BBS, so you have to fast forward the game-time until more low-level missions appear, etc, and I think doing this made the game time go by too quickly? Paying full price for each software upgrade does not seem to be the way to go either, but if it lets you do higher paying missions sooner, in the long run it may be better? or maybe I should have taken out more loans at the beginning of the game?
--
In any case, I have since tried to log onto the ARC server using the info from the email and it says the account does not exist, and I have never been contacted by anyone else. Judging by the news reports and the types of missions listed on the BBS, it seems that I am (way) behind where I should be in the story-line, but at the same time, I am ahead of the game in other areas (i.e. this deposit game me enough money to get the top gateway (fully loaded) with all top level software etc which makes things too easy now (before this I was still on the starter gateway)). All in all, I have only been playing the game for 1 day, but I think I already missed the story-line mission(s), but now have all the hardware and software needed to do any hack in the game (which I think takes away some of the fun).

Return to “General”