Question about porting legality and Dev CD

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

NESnero
level0

Question about porting legality and Dev CD

Postby NESnero » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Hello, I come from the Open Pandora forums, the Open pandora, for those of you who don't know, is a very neat little mini computer running Linux, capable of many emulators and games.
http://openpandora.org/

Now, we're always looking for great games to port and play on the Pandora, and I just though Uplink would be such a great agme to have on there. Now anyway, onto business.

Now, with porting from the source on the DevCD, as I understand it you're willing to let people port it, but the distribution of the port can only be done with your permission and on a commercial basis, with you getting your fair cut.

Now, the way we share our games around on our Pandora community, consists of usually compiling a game, putting it into PND format, then uploading it to a community site where it is available for all to play. However in your case, we would make it so people who want to play uplink would require the PND file, as well as original files from the Uplink game itself, requiring people to have a bought copy of the game beforhand. We of course, would not host these game files.

So, tell me your stance on this, people having to have the game files before they can play the port, would this still be in breach of your DevCD contract or whatnot?
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:40 pm

I would think that you would be better served by contacting IV directly. You might try the Contact Us page.
NESnero
level0

Postby NESnero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:37 am

mr_anonymous wrote:I would think that you would be better served by contacting IV directly. You might try the Contact Us page.

Just sent them a message!
NESnero
level0

Postby NESnero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 am

If anyone else would know this however, a response would be good.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:26 pm

From the DevCD license:

2.3) Without the express written permission of Introversion, you will not distribute, in any format any version of the program targeted on "PocketPC", "PalmOS", any other PDA Operating System, "GameCube", "Gameboy" (including "Gameboy Advanced"), "Microsoft X-box", "Sony Playstation", any other game console, Macintosh or any other platforms other than Microsoft Windows (for the PC) or Linux.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
NESnero
level0

Postby NESnero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:45 pm

frenchfrog wrote:From the DevCD license:

2.3) Without the express written permission of Introversion, you will not distribute, in any format any version of the program targeted on "PocketPC", "PalmOS", any other PDA Operating System, "GameCube", "Gameboy" (including "Gameboy Advanced"), "Microsoft X-box", "Sony Playstation", any other game console, Macintosh or any other platforms other than Microsoft Windows (for the PC) or Linux.

The Pandora does run Linux, its a fully functioning computer, just an obscure type of linux. And this thread was kinda asking for their permission in the first place, as well as the message I sent them.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm

NESnero wrote:

The Pandora does run Linux, its a fully functioning computer, just an obscure type of linux. And this thread was kinda asking for their permission in the first place, as well as the message I sent them.

I don't think that you really understand what I said in the first place. You need written permission, and the forums are not a place to ask for it. You need to communicate with IV directly, the first step of which is the form I linked to above.
NESnero
level0

Postby NESnero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:
NESnero wrote:

I don't think that you really understand what I said in the first place. You need written permission, and the forums are not a place to ask for it. You need to communicate with IV directly, the first step of which is the form I linked to above.

I did!

Return to “General”