A simple Uplink mod

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Surfpup
level2
level2

A simple Uplink mod

Postby Surfpup » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:02 pm

I recently decided to dive into the Dev CD and make a few changes here and there. I figured it would be nice to have a mod that works with the newest version of Uplink. Also, I've got both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries built for Linux users. I can do a 64-bit binary for Windows as well, if anyone wants me to. You can download it here: http://adf.ly/1liw1s or http://bit.ly/2ndoQz6

I have not extensively tested the Windows version; just let me know if there are any problems.

Here's what I've got so far:
-Based on version 1.55
-Created version 2.0 of filecopier which automatically places the downloaded file on your harddrive where space is available

-New software - EasyBounce - Automatically creates a bounce path for you using your links - with InterNIC being the first bounce.
-Takes an IP as input, to be the final destination of the bounces.
-Made it so that when the player has version 2.0 on their harddrive, the links interface automatically does this when you click on a link.

-Some difficulty balancing:
-Got rid of the "want all money now" option in contacts screen for missions
-Reduced amount of money transferred in balance-transfer missions
Last edited by Surfpup on Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dist7action
level0

Postby dist7action » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:49 am

could u make a 64 bit version and also how does the ip bouncer work, could you explain it ? not programing wise just how to use it in game.
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Basically, EasyBounce 1.0 takes an IP address as input, and the program itself looks exactly like the IP Lookup program. When you input an IP address, it connects to it, after automatically building a bounce path using all of your links on your links screen. If you use version 2.0, then it will automatically do this when you click on a link, and you won't even have to run any software - it's very convenient! I also figured inputting an IP address is a bit of a hassle.

It uses InterNIC as the first bounce, so you can always go there to clear your logs. That's how I've always played the game, so it only made sense to implement it this way.

I made EasyBounce because I realized that the most tedious part of the game is clicking on dots on a map. This software reduces that tediousness by a lot. I am a bit concerned that it makes it too easy to make a huge bounce path and increase your trace-time by a lot, so I think I'm going to try to come up with a way to limit this software or change the way you get links in the game. But I still think it's really nice to not have to mess with the map as much.

I'll do a 64-bit Windows build when I release the next update, probably sometime this weekend.

Some stuff to look forward to in the next release:

I've changed the CPU priority programs start with. Now, it automatically reduces the CPU priority of programs that don't need it, such as the Trace Tracker or Security Bypassers.

I'm also currently working on adding mouse-wheel scrolling support into the game. The fact that you can't scroll up and down with the mouse-wheel has always bugged me, since the first day I played it, so I'm pretty excited to be able to add in this functionality.
astanix
level1
level1

Postby astanix » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:30 am

Easybounce is amazing. Thank you so much for this.
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm glad you like it!

I've updated the mod to include mouse-wheel scrolling support and the CPU priority stuff I mentioned earlier. I still haven't made a 64-bit build for Windows, as I've run into some unexpected problems.
Bladeron
level0

Postby Bladeron » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi there! I hope your progress is going well--I'd love to see this for 64-bit windows. If there's anything I can do, just ask.
xptical
level0

Postby xptical » Tue May 03, 2011 2:06 am

Another vote for 64-bit Windows.

Also, the site doesn't seem to be resolving ATM.

Thanks for the work.
Nixitur
level1
level1

Postby Nixitur » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 pm

This looks really interesting and I would really like this to work, but I can't download it for some reason. Just says it takes too much time to load the page.
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Sorry, it's been a while since I worked on this. I have updated the link - you should be able to download it now.

If I do manage to create a 64-bit Windows build, I will of course post an update here.
benpowerman
level2
level2

Postby benpowerman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:55 pm

surfpup good job i wish i can find in the svn i trying to add software in the good too a lan spike. use on main server than admin cannot kick off until after trace you back to the gataway. i put my novice try on svn
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:49 am

benpowerman wrote:surfpup good job i wish i can find in the svn i trying to add software in the good too a lan spike. use on main server than admin cannot kick off until after trace you back to the gataway. i put my novice try on svn

The thread was last posted in over two years ago. Surfpup hasn't posted on this forum since December 2011.
TheXWolf
level2
level2

Postby TheXWolf » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Ya it's a pitty, I remember seeing that post when it started, too bad he never got around to an x64 version.
Or at least throw some of the modified files out there so another one of us crazies who've been around could update it.
Now that there was that humble bundle there's so many more uplink owners out there.
Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun. - P.J. Rourke
Surfpup
level2
level2

Re: A simple Uplink mod

Postby Surfpup » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:46 pm

This is broken, the new one is in the link.

Also, I am done. I had an aneurysm on my brain: https://www.surfpup.net
Thanks.
Last edited by Surfpup on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvrht
level0

Postby mvrht » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:42 pm

hi! sorry, this isn't working for me, what do i need to do?
Surfpup
level2
level2

Postby Surfpup » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Dropbox. If you don't have it, then: No thanks, continue to view.

Here is the picture: http://imgur.com/a/f6AXb

If this is not working, then let me know...

Return to “General”