Good god i love this game.

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Juno
level0

Good god i love this game.

Postby Juno » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Bought it from steam totally randomly the other day. Easily spent 5-6 hours on it daily since.

I have a pretty decent home rig, so i could be playing something crap like black ops, but the real strength of this game is that i can just kick back with winamp on shuffle and theres virtually no load times for anything. couple clicks and your in the game makin credits and tryin to beat that trace clock (even tho i only have the tracer open as i start and then close it and just guess how much time is left).

When i first started playing i was kinda turned off by how dissimilar it was to anything else i have played of recent. The learning curve sure is a little steep, even with my limited network security background, but not being spoon fed was fresh and unpatronising(?). I've only just started hacking LAN and i've barely got into the story but so far its definately been worth the few pounds i paid for it.

The console feature on some servers was sooo much genius. I actually knew a bit of old UNIX/dos syntax, bit of a pity only some of it was supported, the moment i typed "I:>who" i was soooo hoping for the sysadmin to be present so i could write cmnd him. Maybe just a nice little Question and Answer script or something easteregg like that. While i'm on this, is there anyway to return to root dir? i've tried cd [no arguement] and cd:\ and even just I:>, i bet i'm missing something obvious =/

Reading the FAQ's was pretty hilarious. I mean, on the whole, the game is very intuitive, with a bit of work and thinking about it sensibly, the info you have at your disposal usually points you to one conclusion for most challenges the game throws at you. The voice rec is a perfect example of that, you discover a phone numbers as you play, and can buy a voice recorder... not exactly rocket science. That said, there was a couple things i hadn't quite figured out yet myself, like the bank xfer hack, but tbh its slightly counter-intuitive i thought. I was giving bank hacks a shot for a while, but after a couple times of running 10+ proxy chains and clearing atleast 2 log stacks after every connection to a bank (not even console del log, actually clicking them individually...), creating john doe accounts, and moving the money several times never connecting to the bank servers directly or putting the money anywhere near my real account, i found it a bit strange how i'd get shutdown anyway. I might have considered deleting the account logs aswell if i didn't think that would be pointless without also being able to clear the admin file access logs. Bit frustrating how the punishments are either really light (1000cred fine) or end the game, nothing in between.

Anyway, rant over. But yeah, dang, i like this game. alottt. No sequel is fine by me. game is pretty much awesome as is, just more content would be cool. Few more faces in the registers, couple more voice recs, higher res world map, movable popup boxes (passcrack window), that kinda thing. If i could code worth a sausage i'd put some hours in and add the content myself. Speaking of that, I think i saw some alt gui skins floating around, is there a database of that sorta thing anywhere?

Sorry for the essay. Yo, i dig your game. Think i'll give darwinia a shot.

Edit: Promise i'm not another kid trying to tell you what to do with your game. I think Bungie pretty much taught us all that pandering to the fans is a bad idea. Just meant to say i like the game, but got a little carried away. Been uplinked too much recently i guess.
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 am

Nice to see a new person to uplink, as for returning back a directory, its the windows command, you were close, its

cd ..

that will take you back one directory a time, I think there is one for going straight back to the root file but I dont know what it is.

As for a database of new skins, theres an entire website called modlink that has skins, lans guides and tons of other stuff, not sure what will work though as it was a while since it was updated.
Juno
level0

Postby Juno » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:32 am

thanks alot man!

...this just happened -.-

orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

and it will happen a lot,

kind of why I like the game, old school style of if you mess up tough, none of this nancy check point every 2 yards.
xxxCoolGuyxxx
level0

Re: Good god i love this game.

Postby xxxCoolGuyxxx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 am

Okay, if you like this game so much, I don't see the problem here. There is only one pitfall - you spend a lot of time playing this game. It is harmful to your college performance. Of course, you can get the best assignment help but don't draw out this process! Your future depends only on you, so don't mess it up.
Ailee
level0

Postby Ailee » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah, I love playing computer games so much that I often don't have time and desire to do my home assignments. Happily, this company of AssignCode knows how to achieve an excellence in every technical task. They always make every work very fast and good. You may call up them too :)
Jostren
level0

Postby Jostren » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 am

I don't have much time to play because I am working hard on my writing skills now. Experienced a lot of problems with essay writing and I want to get rid of those problems. So I am writing essays and using https://paperap.com/grade-my-paper/ to find out if those are good or not.

Return to “General”