Bounce Line

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

markhyder
level2
level2

Bounce Line

Postby markhyder » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 pm

is there way to change th ecolour for the bounce line?
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:55 pm

<EDIT>

let me rephrase that, its probably in the code somewhere, so it would be possible to change it with the source code and programming knowledge, but if your having a hard time seeing what you are doing try using the default world map in the game options. i think you have to start a new agent though
markhyder
level2
level2

Postby markhyder » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm

ok thanks, I find it hard to tell what server name that I have not Bounce yet
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm

you should only really need to connect once then use the save route function, takes out all the guess work
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:59 pm

orillian wrote:you should only really need to connect once then use the save route function, takes out all the guess work

This. When I start a new game, the first thing I generally do is create an account at every bank (having an account on a server slows down traces), then create a bounce path that starts at InterNIC, goes through all of the banks and the Uplink ISS, and finally goes through the Uplink Test server. I then save that path, and use it for the rest of the game. This particular route does a couple of nice things for you:
  1. you can delete logs at InterNIC without worrying about being traced;
  2. you can modify logs at the Uplink Test server in order to frame others; and
  3. the path is long and slow enough to complete just about any hack you would ever need to do.
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:48 pm

mr_anonymous wrote:
orillian wrote:you should only really need to connect once then use the save route function, takes out all the guess work

This. When I start a new game, the first thing I generally do is create an account at every bank (having an account on a server slows down traces), then create a bounce path that starts at InterNIC, goes through all of the banks and the Uplink ISS, and finally goes through the Uplink Test server. I then save that path, and use it for the rest of the game. This particular route does a couple of nice things for you:
  1. you can delete logs at InterNIC without worrying about being traced;
  2. you can modify logs at the Uplink Test server in order to frame others; and
  3. the path is long and slow enough to complete just about any hack you would ever need to do.

I usually use InterNIC to list all of the Public Access Servers in the game, and then use those as bounce points, starting (of course) with InterNIC. This creates a path of about 30+ bounces and is usually enough to where the audible "pings" of a trace are very far apart.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:04 am

tynan wrote: I usually use InterNIC to list all of the Public Access Servers in the game, and then use those as bounce points, starting (of course) with InterNIC. This creates a path of about 30+ bounces and is usually enough to where the audible "pings" of a trace are very far apart.

Whatever works for you. However, you will get about the same trace time through the banks as you will through 30+ public access servers (having an account on a bank increases the trace time), and the map will be less cluttered. And having the banks on the map has other advantages.

xander
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:47 am

mr_anonymous wrote:
tynan wrote: I usually use InterNIC to list all of the Public Access Servers in the game, and then use those as bounce points, starting (of course) with InterNIC. This creates a path of about 30+ bounces and is usually enough to where the audible "pings" of a trace are very far apart.

Whatever works for you. However, you will get about the same trace time through the banks as you will through 30+ public access servers (having an account on a bank increases the trace time), and the map will be less cluttered. And having the banks on the map has other advantages.

xander

Yes, I tacked on a few banks to my bounce line, and noticed it took a bit longer for those red lines to be filled in...
And I do plan on doing an Account Balance Transfer hack just as soon as I find an Account with at least half a million credits in it.
As a side note (somewhat related to trace paths....) I noticed when I use a HUD Analyzer I sometimes see a red-dotted box appear around Proxies/Firewalls/Monitors. Do these appear at regular intervals? I suspect they are there to alert the Admin that something is wrong, because when I used a Bypass on the Proxy (latest version of course), a trace didn't start happening until right after a red-dotted box appeared around it. Then the trace started. Was wondering if I can expect the same results from Monitors/Firewalls?
Thanks!
orillian
level4
level4

Postby orillian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:55 am

When does the red box appear? because usually a trace starts as soon as you start cracking the system password unless your running a moniter bypass and then it does not start until after you cracked it
r4ndomstrik3
level0

Postby r4ndomstrik3 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 am

orillian wrote:When does the red box appear? because usually a trace starts as soon as you start cracking the system password unless your running a moniter bypass and then it does not start until after you cracked it

It appears periodically. To the best of my knowledge it represents a facet of the system's security performing a "check" to be sure there is no illicit activity going on. Frankly, it's foreplay. If you connect to Uplink Internal Services machine and fast forward the time, you can see the red boxes blinking away (doesn't matter with a proper log-in).

tynan wrote:Was wondering if I can expect the same results from Monitors/Firewalls?
Thanks!

You bypassed the proxy but you left the monitor wide open, meaning that as soon as that little red dotted box appeared, the sysadmin presumably "saw" that you were going around the proxy/generally screwing around, and started to run a trace. Monitors engage traces. Firewalls/Proxies deny accesses.

Return to “General”