Install help for Uplink on Ubuntu 10.04

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Lidmith
level0

Install help for Uplink on Ubuntu 10.04

Postby Lidmith » Wed May 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Hello. I purchased this game several years ago, and I am trying to install it on my computer. I can run it under windows just fine, but I spend most of my time in Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

I extracted the zip file from the linux folder on the cd to my home directory, and then I went into that uplink directory which was extracted, and made sure that the file called "uplink" was executable.

Then I went to the terminal, went to that directory, and typed ./uplink

The following printed to the screen:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 ./libfreopen-override.so.0.0.0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
./uplink.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm fairly new to Linux, could anyone explain an easy to understand way to correctly install this? Thanks!
resdev
level0

libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 issue

Postby resdev » Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

It would seem that it doesn't have the necessary libraries installed.

Try this:
Open up a terminal window and type the following line.

sudo apt-get install libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

or

I believe Ubuntu has a package manager GUI that you can use to search for and install it as well.
Most likely in System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

p.s. Uplink also works under Wine as well.
Lidmith
level0

Re: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 issue

Postby Lidmith » Fri May 07, 2010 9:49 pm

It would seem that it doesn't have the necessary libraries installed.

Try this:
Open up a terminal window and type the following line.

sudo apt-get install libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

This gave:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

or

I believe Ubuntu has a package manager GUI that you can use to search for and install it as well.
Most likely in System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager

Yeah, I tried searching there, but no such luck. I also searched online, and found a few things to try:

I used something called getlibs, and followed the directions to install the library, but it couldn't find it. I also went to a debian site and found that they have it available, and followed their instructions, including updating my sources.list, but that didn't find it either.

p.s. Uplink also works under Wine as well.

I haven't tried Wine yet. I wondered if there were any problems with it. I think I remember some more knowledgeable computer people saying that I shouldn't use it, but I don't remember why. Is it pretty safe? Secure?

Thanks for trying to help (and if Wine works, thanks for the help).
resdev
level0

lib error

Postby resdev » Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 pm

I would suggest the Ubuntu forums with help regarding the dependency error that you are getting. They have a generally helpful community.

Debian Lenny (Stable) is using 6.4. It could be a version configuration error that you are running into.

If you want to remove what was previously done then use:
sudo apt-get remove

As for Wine, the only negative feedback that I have personally gotten about it is the frustration with configuring apps. Although, it is conceivable that running a Windows app that looks for internet access could pose some issues. Just don't run it as root. It is not sand-boxed.

Wine has come a long way, but there is still a learning curve. Take a look at:
http://www.winehq.org/site/documentation

I have used Wine to run Uplink in Debian, Linux Mint, and Backtrack.

Cheers.
Quilan
level0

Postby Quilan » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 am

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 can be found: http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libxmu6

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 can be found: http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libxi6

and

libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 can be found: http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/i386/ ... 2/download (pick your fave location!)

once you've downloaded the i386 packages, open up Downloads folder, right click each in turn and extract; that'll give you a folder with the same name.

enter the folder and look for the data.tar.gz package and, again, extract that. now you'll see a folder named data.

enter the folder named data / lib / and there you'll find your libraries /insert cheesy grin smilie/

open up a terminal and type: sudo mv lib* /usr/lib32/ then press enter and type in your root password.

rinse and repeat for all the others ^^

run uplink (if you have no more dependency problems) and have fun /another smilie/

chance are you'll hit some other issue.. it's an old prog with outdated library dependencies but you've enough info above to help you limp through how to go about getting those
MakotoSFG
level0

Little update...

Postby MakotoSFG » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:22 pm

For a lot of users out there running the newer versions of Ubuntu, I just wanted to give the only fresh archive I could find for the required libraries:

http://archive.debian.net/sarge/i386/li ... 2/download

Took me a bit of searching, but I finally found this place had a working link. Ironically all the North American links didn't work, ended up getting it from one of the Asian mirrors. This shit is SCARCE man! Now I know what Neo was dealing in the Matrix... sheesh.

Anyway, just click one of the mirrors and open with the GDebi Package Installer. Works like a charm afterwards.

Best of luck.... MakotoSFG.

Return to “General”