Hacking a Mainframe

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

tynan
level1
level1

Hacking a Mainframe

Postby tynan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 pm

I have been having some trouble hacking into a Mainframe. Here's what happens: I connect to the Mainframe, run the Proxy/Monitor Bypassers, Break the Password, then realize "oh crap, I forgot the Voice print", then have to Disconnect. Even though I ran a Monitor/Proxy Bypass, they still run active Traces on me (and they are 30 second traces...). Here's where the problem is: When I go to re-connect to the Mainframe, I already have "Access Granted" from before, so they Immediately start Tracing me? Before I can even hit them with Monitor/Proxy Bypassers, or the Voice print, I am already being Traced. There is no "Log Out" button. All I can do is disconnect. So it seems that a Monitor Bypass (even V5) is useless on a Mainframe?
I'd like to be able to get in without resorting to a million bounces just to get me enough time (my system really bogs down when all those links are showing).
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Logging in as admin automatically initializes a trace.
Logging in as readwrite does not initialize a trace.
Logging in as readonly does not initialize a trace, but doesn't let you do anything malicious.

Monitor Bypass just lets you run Password Breaker and Decipher without any trouble while you're doing it.
Proxy Bypass lets you commit changes to accounts and, IIRC, logs without any trouble while you're doing it.
Firewall Bypass lets you take files and, IIRC, run programs without any trouble while you're doing it.

You'd be surprised how useful a monitor bypass is when you're trying to crack and decipher.

This is the order you should sift through security:
- Voice Print First, always. The 4 block program is more than sufficient, and using it first lets you free up your CPU.
- Decypher, this one takes the longest. With Monitor Bypass, you can use the lowest version without fretting about getting traced.
- Password Breaker, this one is the only one that will initialize a trace when completed.

Once you're in, do your damage.
Last edited by Axoren on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:42 pm

But that's just it....how do I Log Out from Admin? Whenever I connect it just automatically Logs me in as Admin.
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:47 pm

You can't log out. You just don't log in until everything else is done, first. Read my edited post.

Edit: Wait, automatically logs you in as admin? Like as soon as you connect, it logs you in? It shouldn't do that unless you click on the user login data for admin.

Edit again: I see what you mean, when you crack the password, it automatically picks admin as the username. If you pick another username before running the Password Breaker, if the username exists, it will crack that username.

Note: readwrite and readonly may not exist on some machines.
Last edited by Axoren on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Right, I tried using "readwrite" username and it didn't exist...
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Your best bet is to just do things in the order I posted and act fast when you get in there. If you can't do everything, do it in segments.

Hack, Attack, Retreat, Repeat.
tynan
level1
level1

Postby tynan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:08 pm

Yeah lol. I am finding out how maddening hacking Mainframes are. Trying to get all the files deleted while watching the ticker go down...15 secs....10....8.....5.....4....!expletive!
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:14 pm

Use the console.

Admin -> Console :

cd usr
delete
cd sys
delete
shutdown

^
I do that whenever I'm doing a delete-entire-system mission. I'm not sure if it makes the logs unreadable or not, but I'm pretty sure it gives you bonus points to your score at the end of the game.

Also, when doing the delete by hand, you're already being tracked, x-out of the Monitor Bypass and increase the CPU usage of File_Deleter. This makes the delete happen faster than it normally would.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Axoren wrote:I'm not sure if it makes the logs unreadable or not

The commands you listed didn't delete any logs, but even if you did, deleting the logs using the console is similar to using a version 1 log_deleter and is pointless doing as passive traces continue from where the active trace was cut off.
Last edited by Montyphy on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Yes, however, the system is fried. You can't log onto it to read the logs, can the NPC's?

As in for future bounces through that machine?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:22 pm

Axoren wrote:Yes, however, the system is fried. You can't log onto it to read the logs, can the NPC's?

The system doesn't stay down forever and I believe the logs will still be there.

Axoren
level1
level1

Postby Axoren » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm not sure if this should continue in another topic, but as I'm saying. Will using it as a bounce point while it's down make NPC's unable to read it?

Even if this should continue in another topic, the answer may prove useful to the topic creator.

New Post: To avoid more topic clutter in someone else's topic, I'm just adding onto this post:
Well, that clears up some things. You can still get traced through a downed system. So it doesn't delay the admin from finding out who you are.
Last edited by Axoren on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Axoren wrote:I'm not sure if this should continue in another topic, but as I'm saying. Will using it as a bounce point while it's down make NPC's unable to read it?

Even if this should continue in another topic, the answer may prove useful to the topic creator.

They can trace you once it comes back up. No problems at all.

In short people, read the FAQ and the guide mentioned therin in the Hints and Tips forums.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Axoren wrote:I'm not sure if this should continue in another topic, but as I'm saying. Will using it as a bounce point while it's down make NPC's unable to read it?

I very much doubt it as you can be traced through phone systems and personal machines which have been used as bounce nodes.

Return to “General”