iHacker - Gameplay Video Released

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:25 am

Making the point abundantly clear is only one registration and C&D away...

What did you mean by that?

Well the video was a taster, it wasn't a trailer or a final piece. It was a small video showing the interface. Hopefully, you'll change your opinion once the game is released. :)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:33 am

Indeed, hence my comment that a demo would have been more effective then just the video. Once the demo is ready do shoot me a pm though, I wouldn't mind getting a hands on look.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Needs more cowbell.
Rycr
level1
level1

Postby Rycr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:59 am

Hmm, that does look REALLY good, and it's not just a clone of Uplink like so many other games I've seen. Even though I'm a little skeptical, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until I actually play it. It definitely looks great, and the Alpha testers seem to like it.

Who knows what will happen? Until I play a demo or something, I'll reserve judgement.
I may have a paltry number of posts, but I've been around since the Pre-Nakatomi days.
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:39 am

TrueADM wrote:Yeah, I only registered for it last week, but I've got a letter through already. Maybe ring back next week? I'm sure the status for the trademark will have changed by then.

Personally I think the name is appropiate and quite catchy. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but it's too late now. :(

Also, it sounds like you're out to get me? I'm a developer trying to make a decent game, I'm doing the best I can in the time I have (I'm a student at University of Kent and that demands enough time already).

I don't mean this offensively TrueADM, I am merely explaining my own opinion but rkiver is not out to get you with those comments. I felt that way at first with my own project in development, but rkiver has pointed out faults, weak spots and general stupidity on my part in the not too distant past and I am thankful for that and have used that to resolve any issues with my own development. As a slight suggestion, make use of rkivers points to identify and resolve issues or weaknesses in your project.

As rkiver pointed out to me, in truth your marketting your game through another development teams forum, don't expect too much.

Bear in mind TrueADM ( and I assume you know this already ) many promises have been made in the past regarding uplink sequels, uplink online etc etc and rkiver has been here for a lot longer than I have therefore he ( I assume your a "he" rkiver :P ) has seen many projects coming and going as have many others so as was suggested to myself, provide evidence of your development using screenshots, videos and any other medium you can think of, that way a bigger impression can be made.

Rkivers comment regarding borrowed sounds from Uplink is quite a major issue. I know its only sound and isn't as major as the issue of all the promises made regarding iHacker but its not going to do you any favours by taking content in any way, shape, or form from Uplink directly.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, as I said it was merely my own humble opinion not an attack against yourself or your development.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:16 am

64 Byte Killer wrote:-- snip --
provide evidence of your development using screenshots, videos and any other medium you can think of, that way a bigger impression can be made.

Rkivers comment regarding borrowed sounds from Uplink is quite a major issue.

There's already a video and a few screenshots available.

Additionally;
TrueADM wrote:
Rkiver wrote:-- snip --
2) Video sounds.....lots appear "borrowed" from Uplink. Connection sounds etc. Did you get permission to use them?
-- snip
-- snip --
2) Yep I do for the 4 sounds.
-- snip --

Anyway, I agree with you on the sounds, 64 Byte Killer - borrowing content is not the way to go, even with explicit permission.

---

As for feedback on the actual game, well - a demo would say much more, it's very hard to say anything about the mechanics when you don't know them.
For now, it really just looks like a polished version of Uplink. Visually well-executed, however - good job on that.

And here's a secret for you; a steady beep is not a tenth as stressing as a beep increasing in frequency.
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:33 am

I realise screenshots and a video are available for iHacker zanzer7, I was merely stating that the more evidence available the better.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:10 am

Well, I can't argue with that :roll:. Four screenshots aren't a lot, either, not when you have a video out, too.

But, as I've already stated, it looks sleek.
TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:10 pm

I know what you guys mean, I removed all the Uplink sounds weeks ago - got some nice new sounds that I've made now. Also regarding that annoying bleep, I've changed it to play be dependent on the time remaining (so it doesn't hurt the ears now).

iHacker has progressed alot since the video, already theres an online account system built into the iHacker website (for alpha testers only) and it all connects to the iHacker dedicated server so everything is going well. The alpha testers have all played the game and the feedback is very positive.

Also there are about 50 screenshots on the forum of the gameplay, including feedback from the testers (that's if your interested).
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:03 am

Hey, I couldn't find this on the site, and I was wondering if you could tell me what you still have to complete?
TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I'd say 45-50% finished. The game should be fully online by next week.
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 am

Will you have to know lots of computer things, or will it be more like Uplink, where you can just kinda pick it up after awhile?
TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:50 am

Like Uplink, although knowledge of computer things will help understand it all.
TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:56 am

The iHacker Account System is now online.

Visit http://www.ihacker.co.uk then click on 'Account'. iHacker will have a fully working online version this weekend, ready for the Alpha Testers.

If you want to be an alpha tester sign up at the forum or let me know in a PM here. Thanks.
TrueADM
level1
level1

Postby TrueADM » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:21 am

Here's a screenshot of the ingame play. Note that it's all online:

Return to “General”