Quick Question re the Demo

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Pugugly001
level0

Quick Question re the Demo

Postby Pugugly001 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:49 am

Bought Uplink several years ago - got into but didn't finish the storyline, would like to restart and try again. There have been several patches since my original CD purchase, and what I remember at the time was that with a valid CD key I could simply unlock the Demo.

Downloaded the current Demo, and I'm not seeing any way to enter the registration info - am I blind, or am I misremembering it's being able to do this? I don't want to get real deep into the demo to discover I should have just reloaded from my CD like I had good sense.

Thanks (and apologies if this was in a FAQ I couldn't find - I did look)

Pug
Pugugly001
level0

Postby Pugugly001 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:35 am

Or - um, not.

My CD says it's has a linux compatible version, but nothing on here seems to actually run under Ubuntu - nor is the linux demo loading under Ubuntu. It says to unzip uplink.zip, but there actually is no uplink.zip in the linux folder?!?

I was planning on Dual booting anyway in the near future, mostly for games, but I confess, I was kinda hoping to get Uplink, Defcon, and Darwinia working under Ubuntu, and none of them appear to be doing so in any easy fashion - am I missing something obvious?

Pug
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:31 pm

As far as I recall, the Linux version is not actually included on the disk. You will need to download the Linux patch from the Other Files section of the Uplink website. Then you should be able to install the Linux version, following the given instructions.

As to not having an authkey, I am fairly certain that IV changed their authentication system at some point. I wouldn't know, as I am a Mac user, but you may be able to get a reply from Contact Page.
Pugugly001
level0

Postby Pugugly001 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:49 pm

Actually I figured it out - Embarrassing, but I was trying to install it from the Desktop. Should work, except some time ago, being a new Linux user I decided to protect myself by setting shell scripts to *not* run from the GUI.

Evidently hadn't had as much need for that as I thought since I'd completely forgotten about it,but installed fine from the command line, installed the 1.55 patch on top of the 1.54 demo, it asked me for the row/column from my CD case, I entered it, and w00t, I'm speeking l33t and hacking banks!

Pebcak - Sorry.

Pug
Pugugly001
level0

Postby Pugugly001 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:49 am

No - not entirely me evidently.

On Ubuntu, installing the Demo and adding the patch works - it accepts my CD info fine. On Windows (XP), adding the patch results in
<bad ascii art>

Code: Select all

+--------------------------------------------+
|Uplink Error                             [X]|
|  /!\     An error occured in uplink.       |
| /_!_\   Files Integrity is not verified.   |
|                       [OK]                 |

</bad ascii art>

Happens with Fresh install as well
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:56 am

Pugugly001 wrote:Files Integrity is not verified.

Seems like you are missings some files.

data.dat
fonts.dat
graphics.dat
loading.dat
music.dat
patch3.dat
patch2.dat
patch.dat
sounds.dat
world.dat
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
Pugugly001
level0

Postby Pugugly001 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:31 am

All of those exist with the exception of world.dat - is that file not included in the Demo then?

Weirdness - I may just install from my old CD and upgrade. I got Linux running - that was the hard part.

Pug
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Yeah that file is missing in the demo. Other files could also be different depending on the demo version.

Return to “General”