New Recruits Needed

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:44 am

Rkiver wrote:A document can say all it wants, but without proof it's just a document. You can send it to me if you want, and I'll read it if you want me to. However so far all we see is talk talk talk. It's time to walk the walk.

And he can ask for whatever he wants, you don't always get what you want, especially when you are trying to advertise a product you are making (and making, and making) on someone elses forums.

Edit: So they linked me to the pdf. It was a 404 error.......

Ironic eh?

Yes you have a valid point there Rkiver, documents are just words, nothing more; Also, yeah I know I won't get what I asked for, I don't think a developer team has ever got what it wanted in terms of critism. In due time you will see results. I have followed as best as I can a structured path leading up to development, without the documents you have no structure but again they are just words. However, those words hold a set pattern for us in development so we don't end up going down the tubes like every other project before us.

I appreciate that a few of you have decided to read it. Its your thoughts that count on this one since we may have overlooked something in our designs, we may have missed something out etc.

Thanks to the few who have requested it, I must say the ones who have are the ones I least expected to read it considering how they have responded to other projects. I pray that it is not a huge waste of your time to read the document.

Thank you
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:51 am

RabidZombie wrote:Be honest. How much have you gotten done.

I just want to know.

Rabid, I will be completely honest with you and the rest of the community, I have no physical content apart from a public release document at this time. Another document is getting near completion with highly detailed information regarding every single aspect of this game, helps to save confusion during the production phase. However, that will not be public release.

Forums will be active shortly to allow for your further input on things. Two documents, a half completed network library thats the extent of it so far.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:13 am

Well I had a read of it.

My point still stands. Talk talk talk. Nothing more. This has been on going for a long time now, this topic first appeared in April, but there was lead up to it for a while before it also. Out of over 8 months work you have.....a single document.

That being said the document is pretty clearly laid out (few spelling mistakes....clciks for example) but once again doesn't actually say much about the gameplay bar a few vague ideas. You really need to actually start working on this and give a few screenshots, perhaps a video of some gameplay. As it stands this is all still essentially vapourware, and until something is actually shown for all your work it will be regarded as so.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
plastical
level1
level1

Postby plastical » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:15 am

There is a lot behind the scenes that is unaccounted for in this document in terms of concept and gameplay. As you quite rightly point out, as does ByteKiller, we don't have any game yet, and we don't have any screenshots apart from a few scanned sketches, which don't really count. But we assure you that a game is coming, and we will not fail!
the plastic has spoken
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:24 am

Rkiver wrote:Well I had a read of it.

My point still stands. Talk talk talk. Nothing more. This has been on going for a long time now, this topic first appeared in April, but there was lead up to it for a while before it also. Out of over 8 months work you have.....a single document.

That being said the document is pretty clearly laid out (few spelling mistakes....clciks for example) but once again doesn't actually say much about the gameplay bar a few vague ideas. You really need to actually start working on this and give a few screenshots, perhaps a video of some gameplay. As it stands this is all still essentially vapourware, and until something is actually shown for all your work it will be regarded as so.

Thank you for reading the document. For 8 months work we do not have much, but for 8 months work we do have clear-cut and well defined documentation for our own benefit. Cheers for the advice, screenshots will be available in all due time, bringing this vapourware up a notch.

Thank you Rkiver, and if you have any problems, queries, or ideas regarding the document content feel free to pm me.

Edit: My major concern as regards the concept outline is that none of the content seems like a clone of Uplink, so if anyone notices that, send me a message asap.
plastical
level1
level1

Graphic Artists

Postby plastical » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:21 pm

Dear Community,

We would like to take this opportunity to let you know that we are currently actively recruiting for Graphical Designers. The work involved would be the direction and creation of 2D graphics in png format for a GUI, game graphics, logos, and some incidental web-site graphics, shared between the number of people on the graphic design team. If you are interested in joining our growing community, please pm me (plastical) or our team leader, 64 Byte Killer.

Thank-you for your time and continuing interest.
the plastic has spoken
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 am

Is this still going on, or is it vapourware? (Know its a bump)
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 am

Well it's a year in, and we've no sign of anything bar the last post in February. Could well have gone to vapourware, or it's possible they are deep in development.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Rkiver wrote:Well it's a year in, and we've no sign of anything bar the last post in February. Could well have gone to vapourware, or it's possible they are deep in development.

I really should check back here more often than I do :P

We are still here and the development is continuing. I would say that we are above vapourware status seeing as we actually have a client/server application alongwith some functionality, however I have lack of evidence to prove this to the community at this present time. We have achieved a fair amount in the past 2 months most of which revolves around network library development, structuring of the client and server applications as well as log-in/registration functionality and database connectivity.

I am hoping that it won't be too long till some screenshots of our progress can be made available, however I am a little apprehensive about posting screenshots at the moment as I don't feel it will have any benefits whatsoever. We may hold back till we can provide a substantial amount of media to show our work rather than just a couple of screenshots.
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Even if it couldn't really help, it couldn't really hurt, could it?
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Anonymous123445 wrote:Even if it couldn't really help, it couldn't really hurt, could it?

True...right now I more concerned about providing a website containing basic project information, screenshots and other media so that I can shift any promotion or advertisement away from these forums.
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:05 pm

How close is the website to being completley done?
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Thu May 01, 2008 1:01 am

Anonymous123445 wrote:How close is the website to being completley done?

Not close enough!
64 Byte Killer
level1
level1

Postby 64 Byte Killer » Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 am

Hello Uplink Community,

You no doubt noticed our calls for a graphics artist several months ago and finally, after several months of searching, we have found an artist who is willing to join our cause and negotiations began several days ago which are drawing to a conclusion.

The reason we have been unable to provide screenshots or press forward at a steady pace with development is due to the lack of a graphics artist. Despite there being many graphics artists available, neither I, nor the team, had enough cash to pay for their services.

I know it is only words and promises, but screenshots will be available within the next few weeks giving a glimpse of the OS interface, log-in/splash screens so hopefully that will help the community to gain a little more trust in the project, but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Website is under way, hoping we can roll that out in about a fortnights time along-with a public forum so all discussion, recruitment, advertisement can be taken away from the uplink community forums.

Regards
ByteKiller. Vapourware for the win! :P
Anonymous123445
level1
level1

Postby Anonymous123445 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 am

Hurray, maybe this is actually real :)

Return to “General”