Will there be Uplink 2?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Chummer99
level0

Will there be Uplink 2?

Postby Chummer99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:49 am

Will there be one? Are there actual plans yet?

If not: Go create it, I want it. :)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:23 pm

ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Does that number next to your name represent the year of your birth?
It wouldn't surprise me.
Chummer99
level0

Postby Chummer99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:14 pm

Thanks for helping me so kindly, you swedish fart.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:18 pm

Don't be a dolt. Search before you post. ScareyedHawk never would have posted had you done that first.
Chummer99
level0

Postby Chummer99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Ah... its one of those boards. Where there is actually more to gain of whatever by calling a newcomer stupid and not helping him, instead of just ignoring him.

Naa... you better stick to each other without me being here, that will be fine.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:27 pm

We can ignore you if you want.

From here on, nobody will ever reply or comment on Chummer99's messages, posts and threads.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:29 pm

Eh? I directed you to a place explaining that there isn't going to be an Uplink 2 - if you have difficulty seeing hyperlinks then I'll make it nice and clear for you here: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink/viewtopic.php?t=33904. You should have searched before creating a redundant new thread. By all means, when you have something to contribute let us know, but otherwise don't expect people to pander to your needs.

EDIT: Uh... this is not a reply or comment ;)
shui
level1
level1

Postby shui » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:50 pm

Uh, he didn't ask if Introversion was making an Uplink 2. He just asked if there would be one. Didn't a bunch of fans somewhere in Asia make a Starcraft 2 although Blizzard (who owns Starcraft) hasn't touched the idea for ten years?
What's wrong with someone with the Dev CD making an Uplink 2?
Edit: Just noticed the fifth post down in that topic says essentially the same thing. I was under the impression that the sequel had already been made tho.
All the same, there are tons of ideas that Introversion didn't use in Uplink, even ideas for a sequel, and it would be legal for fans to make and distribute it on Modlink or something.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 pm

No, it would not be legal for oh so many reasons, that if you actually read the agreement regarding the DevCD you would know that.

To Chummer99: This board does tend to be harsh, as in those we feel as idiots for not searching will get flamed as such. There is a clearly marked section called The Future, were there is a pinned topic, that clearly states there will be no Uplink 2, hell Chris himself was asked and stated that "Introversion don't do sequels". So unless Introversion decide to change how the DevCD legalities are done, then there will not be an Uplink 2.

To sum up, use search before posting. That is all, and believe me I am known for being the absolute bastard around here.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
shui
level1
level1

Postby shui » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Rkiver wrote:No, it would not be legal for oh so many reasons, that if you actually read the agreement regarding the DevCD you would know that.

Like I'm going to pay $60 just to buy a CD so I can read the license agreement for a forum post.

Also note that I didn't say "sell", I said "distribute", which is legal. If you haven't noticed, that's exactly what they've done with the FBI Mod, and no one got sued for that.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:18 pm

The FBI is a modification for Uplink, it is not a sequel, and distributing a modification is quite different to distributing an entire sequel, regardless if it is free or not.

And if you are not going to read the agreement I suggest you don't comment on something you do not know, you end up looking like an idiot.
shui
level1
level1

Postby shui » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:25 pm

Definition provided by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

sequel:

Noun
1. Something that follows; a continuation. 2. A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work. 3. A result or consequence. See Synonyms at effect.

In other words, a mod with a new story is a sequel, as well as a mod. Thus, legal to distribute.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:34 pm

Sorry, last time I checked we are not in the US, I'll go by the definition which IV themselves put in the agreement.

And a mod that requires the original is still a mod, not a sequel, by any definition. Now stop digging yourself a hole.
shui
level1
level1

Postby shui » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Very well then. From Encyclopedia Britannica online:
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French sequelle, from Latin sequela, from sequi to follow -- more at SUE
1 : CONSEQUENCE, RESULT
2 a : subsequent development b : the next installment (as of a speech or story); especially : a literary or cinematic work continuing the course of a story begun in a preceding one

What I'm saying is it would be possible to make a new story and perhaps add a few gameplay changes with the Dev CD. Does your sacred license agreement declare that illegal?

Return to “General”