Uplink thinks my copy is illegal :-(

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

JoeLo91
level0

Uplink thinks my copy is illegal :-(

Postby JoeLo91 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:53 am

Howdy,

I did buy Uplink, and I was using the Linux version happily. However I encountered a bug, so I patched my game and made a new character. Now I get the illegal game version error about five minutes into it.

I am using a legit copy, and I have Ubuntu 6.10 help!
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:42 am

Do you have the 'Hacker Elite' version, or is it straight from IV?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:44 pm

That doesn't affect it.

Unless the new patch has altered the way stuff works, I'd say that the patch you applied was taken from an illegal copy.

I'm not willing to expand on how the warez version detection works, but it's VERY unlikely for a working copy to stop working unless you copied a non-working executable over the top.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:51 pm

... Are you sure it's not just an "Uplink has made an illegal operation" error?
I'm not too experienced with linux, but uh, your problem sounds quite weird.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:36 pm

I know Uplink checks for the integrity of the .dat files, be sure to have all the following files unmodified.

data.dat
fonts.dat
graphics.dat
loading.dat
music.dat
patch.dat
patch2.dat
patch3.dat
sounds.dat
world.dat
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
JoeLo91
level0

Postby JoeLo91 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm

I downloaded the official patch from IV. I have no mods. I bought Uplink directly from IV. By the way, none of the other accounts are affected by this illegal copy thing. Only the one that I had before I patched it.

It is NOT an internal error or illegal operation. It says Agent Joe, you are using an illegal copy of Uplink please go to introversion.co.uk in order to purchase Uplink.

This version is the version installed from the CD, not the downloaded version. Help.
Last edited by JoeLo91 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:37 pm

JoeLo91 wrote:I downloaded the official patch from IV. I have no mods. I bought Uplink directly from IV. By the way, none of the other accounts are affected by this illegal copy thing. Only the one that I had before I patched it.

So, what you're saying is, you created a new account but are trying to play on the old one? Kind of defeats the purpose of creating the new account and could explain why you would be getting such an error. The patch isn't bacwards compatible with the saved files of some older versions, hence why you were suppose to create (and play on) a new account.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
JoeLo91
level0

Postby JoeLo91 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Crap, I made a new one, and was playing fine but then it got the illegal copy error. I had to delete a file libgltt.so.1 to get it working. Could that have anything to do w\ it?
lexus
level1
level1

Postby lexus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi

i have played Uplink since 3 years ago, I created an agent since this time, I have installed all the patches, and I havent have to make a new agent to play the new version, All what I do is install the patch and restart the game. I dont understand why this guy has this problem.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:48 pm

ok, let me explains,

First, the latest version of Uplink should be, in most case, compatible with Uplink 1.31 and up. The cases where it's not is when the agent file got _corrupted_ by bugs in 1.31.

Second, when a agent file is considered to have been made with an illegal copy of Uplink there is not turning back. The game is over for that agent.

Third, it seems a lots of problems on Linux arise from the fact that multiple installers were made for Linux, and the directory structure were not the same for all the installers, thus creating problems when applying the patches. (I wasn't aware of this detail until recently and I still don't know for certain all the possible install paths)
JoeLo91
level0

Postby JoeLo91 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:38 pm

I downloaded Uplink from Introversion, from their store. This fixed the problem but I had to start over :-(. So yeah if you are using Linux just download it from store don't install from CD.
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:05 pm

I had a problem like this, needed to copy one of the .dat files from the disk... can't remember which though :(

Edit: found the old thread at http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... c&start=30

Return to “General”