New to Uplink community, supprised and a little disappointed

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

HaloNothing
level2
level2

New to Uplink community, supprised and a little disappointed

Postby HaloNothing » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:59 pm

Some of the veterens can be a bit jaded when it comes to people who ask questions about things out of shear curiosity or honestly trying to help those who can to improve the game.

Some veterens on the other hand are great about working with newbe's. It just depends.

They tend to be rough on girls... Though I don't know why... on the IRC rooms they get irritated with people easily and don't seem to play the game much anymore. From what I gather it's more of a place for those who used to be into the game that have since become friends.

I was given the cold shoulder by most of them, a few where sweet though.

It was a bit of a rude awakening for me... I didn't expect the Uplink community to be so exclusive.

I guess I'm just at a loss... sorry for making so many people so upset...
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:37 pm

When having a question you better refer to The Ultimate Uplink Guide rater then going on IRC.

People on the IRC channels are kind of illogical, they know that if they stay in those channels they will get newbies questions, and they got frustrated of answering all the same newbies questions, but decide to stay in those channels anyway and get even more frustrated. It's kind of like they are waiting for their daily dose of flaming/jerk humor.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:02 am

It can be exclusive, mainly because it's been around for nearly 6 years now. That's a long time.
Nakatomi is coming
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:06 am

I've downloaded all the tutorial and walkthrough guides from www.modlink.net and www.gamefaqs.com

I refer to them regularly, but the kind of questions and suggestions I have are not generaly covered (That I can find)

and since my programing experience is extremely limitted I wanted to ask the ones who can if they have considered certain things that might continue to improve the evolution of the game dynamic
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:16 am

Thank you... You have been some of the few Veterans that have been kind to me in helping with the questions I do have...

especially you frenchfrog, thank you so much...
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:17 am

I don't dislike anyone here... in fact I think frenchfrog is one of the nicest I have had the pleasure of speaking with so far.

It has seemed to me that it's the veterans that have not really liked anyone on the forum...

I'm just pointing out the fact that, yes, you may be asked the same questions time and time again...

but isn't that what it is to be looked up to, having more experience and considered to be one of the game's experts?

I mean even if you have posted the answer to that question before would it be so much trouble to link to that post?

I have used the search for my questions as well as the guides and walkthroughs... all that together is alot to try and sift through.

The newbie's just want to ask a question and most are so new that they don't know better or where to look to begin with.

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm no vet who has been on uplink since it's inception about six years ago...(I admit I only descovered it about a year ago) but I would think that the use of a forum is for people to find help when they need it...

I'm just asking for those who have been around to cut newbie's some slack and remember what it was when you were descovering the game...

while true that you had no one to help you... be honest, if there had been veterans to ask... you would have.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:40 am

HaloNothing wrote:I don't dislike anyone here... in fact I think frenchfrog is one of the nicest I have had the pleasure of speaking with so far.

Because he's paid to be nice.

It has seemed to me that it's the veterans that have not really liked anyone on the forum...

We like the smart ones. The ones that take the time to search for answers and then they come up with a question that hasn't been asked five minutes before. We don't like the ones that can only ask why their microphone doesn't work with the voice analyser, or the like.

I'm just pointing out the fact that, yes, you may be asked the same questions time and time again...

I'm not saying I've answered it, I'm not saying I havn't. If they had searched they would know the answer to that.

but isn't that what it is to be looked up to, having more experience and considered to be one of the game's experts?

That's when people come up with the post, and I think frenchfrog has it on autopost, telling them to 1. search 2. look at that wonderful faq and 3. then think if it's a relevent question.

I mean even if you have posted the answer to that question before would it be so much trouble to link to that post?

Has been done with no effect.

I have used the search for my questions as well as the guides and walkthroughs... all that together is alot to try and sift through.

If you had actually looked you would have found the answer with a little time and effort.

The newbie's just want to ask a question and most are so new that they don't know better or where to look to begin with.

See that hints and tips section? What is that sticky post at the top of the page? Oh wow read this first? What does that mean?

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm no vet who has been on uplink since it's inception about six years ago...(I admit I only descovered it about a year ago) but I would think that the use of a forum is for people to find help when they need it...

Good for you i'm proud. Yes they can get help here. But maybe they need to understand that we don't like spoonfeeding everyone that joins.

I'm just asking for those who have been around to cut newbie's some slack and remember what it was when you were descovering the game...

We give them plenty of slack. We tell them to look for themselves. They don't need to be spoiled for the rest of their lives.

while true that you had no one to help you... be honest, if there had been veterans to ask... you would have.

Never said I had no help. I took the time to look first, and read up on it. Answered a lot of my questions myself. Then there were a few questions that had nothing to do with uplink and the rest were bug reports. Thank you very much.[/quote]
I wasn't here.
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:45 am

but you see, we don't really dissagree on those points...

I just dissagree with the attitudes...
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:56 am

Well now that you put it that way....

My only concern was that you were going through and doing exactly what people that have been around for a while hate. Going through all the posts in all the forums and saying basically what you did. No one answered you so I'll go ahead and tell you that I don't know. Maybe they went ahead and found the answer themselves. Maybe they forgot. Maybe they got so mad that they threw their computer out the window.

So that's what's wrong with most of the attitudes here. People being lazy and just wanting the answer without learning anything. So we try to teach people that they need to look for themselves hence the SEARCH button appearing in most of the replies.

I hope this explains some of it for you. I would also like to apologize if I offended you in any way or ruined your possible liking of this forum or the people in it, or hell, even me.

I'm glad we could get this figured out. Hope you enjoy your time here and you find more of the vets that are helpful. My suggestion is coming back later in the day wherever you are, cause everyone is here at different times. Most helpful are people like rkiver though he can be a bit mean, darksun, stewsburntmonkey, though i havn't seen him in a while, deepsmeg, and neothermic, to name a few. If you have any questions and i'm around I'd love to answer them.

Enjoy your time here.
I wasn't here.
HaloNothing
level2
level2

Postby HaloNothing » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:04 am

Well I did not mean to come off bitchy either...

I thank you for your candor.

I hope we will talk more later, hopefuly under more pleasant circumstances.

I look forward to getting to know you...
:)
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

dunetrooper wrote:
HaloNothing wrote:I don't dislike anyone here... in fact I think frenchfrog is one of the nicest I have had the pleasure of speaking with so far.

I was paid for doing the patches, not for answering the message board.
film11
level3
level3

Postby film11 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi there

Really, you should just idle at first. Even if you don't speak you will become recognized on the user list. So basically ignore everybody and you'll fit in in no time.

Hell, I've been in there for 5 years and everyone still hates me. I rock!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:27 pm

film11 wrote:Hell, I've been in there for 5 years and everyone still hates me. I rock!

I've been here 5 years also but only most people hate me! Clearly the longer you are here, the less you are hated! :)
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 pm

When I first joined I was treated like a black man in a KKK meeting.
But, I adapted. I passed the test of Fire, and I thank the community for everything it has taught me.
If it wasn't for Uplink, I would probably be an AOLer by now. The very thought makes me flinch.

When I joined, back in 2003, I was 13 years old.
13 years old and Swedish. I still am Swedish, though.
As you may guess, my English grammar and spelling were far from perfect, which they still are, so I was treated like such. A stupid foreign 13-year old who couldn't speak properly. And now, I thank you all for doing that. I didn't want that, so I changed. I wanted to be part of this, and it was my desire to learn, so I changed. Today, I now know a vast amount more
of... everything, computers especially, than I would if I did not become a part of the community.

Now that I think about it, it's thanks to the community I watch anime, play DDR and other music related games.
And because I like anime and bemani, I have met other friends who share the same interests.

Conclusion: Thanks to everyone being an asshole, my life has changed to the better.

Thank you, veterans of the Introversion Software community.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 am

frenchfrog wrote:
dunetrooper wrote:

I was paid for doing the patches, not for answering the message board.

It was a joke.

Conclusion: Thanks to everyone being an asshole, my life has changed to the better.

Thank you, veterans of the Introversion Software community.

Funny, but true.
I wasn't here.

Return to “General”