Converting to Steam?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Daelin
level0

Converting to Steam?

Postby Daelin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:43 am

If you've already purchased Uplink: Hacker Elite, is it possible to convert to the Steam version?
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree. Why trade down?
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Daelin
level0

Postby Daelin » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm

Mostly for version control. I have my reservations about Steam, but it turns out to be fantastic for getting the latest versions of software. I'd like most of my games to have a Steam component just so I don't have to think about getting the latest patch whenever I start a game or run into a problem.

That said, I've also never been terribly clear about the differences between all the different releases of Uplink. When I purchased Uplink, the Strategy First release was the only economical option. It would have cost more than double to buy it in British pounds and ship it trans-Atlantic, and it would have taken a month to arrive.

Anyway, despite really liking the developer, I have some small objection to paying twice for the same content, though I wouldn't object to paying proportionately for the difference in development. (Similarly, I can't see myself paying $6 for Wii Connect 24 games I already own.)

As a random aside, wouldn't Darwinia and Defcon be fantastic on the Wii? Even Uplink might work. (Using Dasher perhaps.)
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:51 am

Version Control won't be an issue. I don't think there will be any further patches for Uplink.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:44 am

doormat wrote:Version Control won't be an issue. I don't think there will be any further patches for Uplink.

You now that frenchfrog is cranking out patched almost on a weekly basis?

Return to “General”