No escape from FBI?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:27 am

Yeah...I've got the nuke part ironed out. I do successfully evade being caught...as I get an email upon return that says so. Alternatively, if I don't nuke (at the particular point in time the one game I was running), then I get caught.

The problem is that it doesn't seem to stop any ongoing investigations related to the old gateway from finding me at the new gateway. I would have thought that any old trails would lead to the old gateway...and I'd be safe with the new one. That's not the case here...at best I get an extra few minutes before they find me at the new gateway.

Oh well...I figured out the bank-transfer=get-rich method, and I'm back where I was before.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:07 am

mike22 wrote:Ok...thanks for the help.

At the very least, I have found an earlier state that I saved that I can resume from.

I do have a related question - before I thought I could be lazy with the phone-line approach, I had been deleting the logs on InterNIC as that was what made the most sense when I first started. But when I was doing this, I noticed once in a while a spurrious log would show a file being accessed - would this be some authority recording the logs, or am I safe to ignore those?

Nah, those are probably just some random lines to make it look more realistic. Nothing to worry about.
Darkangel123
level1
level1

Postby Darkangel123 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:40 am

Mainframes are called 'high security systems' for a reason. It's extremely hard to get out of hacking them unscathed. A passive trace, provided you do not promptly delete your logs on InterNIC with a v4.0 Log Deleter will catch you extremely quickly. Alike banks, nuking your gateway won't do squat. Those guys'll steal your next gateway and get you disavowed before you even realize your motion sensor turned red.

--Edit--
Not that you would have a motion sensor after you nuked your gateway... It wouldn't take 24 hours for them to catch you.
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:27 am

What is with you and necro-bumping?

Return to “General”