No escape from FBI?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

mike22
level1
level1

No escape from FBI?

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:12 am

Ok...so I figured out how to use the Gateway Nuke, and nuked it when I knew I was about to get caught. However, now with the new gateway, at a new location etc, I get a total of 5 minutes (i.e., barely enough time to recover my files from the server where I saved them), then I get caught by the FBI anyway. In fact, if I do absolutely nothing after restoring the new gateway...I can just hit the FF button and the game will end in a couple seconds.

What's the deal? What do I need to do to make sure I don't get caught after using the gateway destruct? Moreover, what should I do to make sure they're never onto me at all?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: No escape from FBI?

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:16 am

mike22 wrote:Moreover, what should I do to make sure they're never onto me at all?

Always break the connection before you get traced and always delete the logs from your first bounce node (which should be InterNIC) using log_deleter v4. If doing a bank hack in order to give yourself money you need to delete a few more things.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:18 am

Ok, but don't I essentially get a fresh start if I start with a new gateway?

Besides, I was using all phone-lines to bounce my connection - I figured since they had no logs to be deleted I'd be okay there too. I suppose thats not the case then?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:21 am

mike22 wrote:Besides, I was using all phone-lines to bounce my connection - I figured since they had no logs to be deleted I'd be okay there too. I suppose thats not the case then?

No logs? Everytime you make a connection you create a log on every node you used to make the connection as well as the target server. You must ALWAYS delete the logs from your first bounce node (which like I said before, should be InterNIC) when preforming hacks and attacks. If connecting to Uplink Internal Services to log into your username or into a bank to manage you account details then you don't need to worry about being traced since you're doing legitimate things.

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:26 am

Ok...I was just never able to access any logs on the phone-line nodes, so I didn't think they stored any thing that anyone else would be able to access.

In either case...this still overlooks the other question I had: do I not get a fresh start with a new gateway? Is there something I'm doing wrong in the sequence of self-destruct/start-new gateway?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:30 am

mike22 wrote:Ok...I was just never able to access any logs on the phone-line nodes, so I didn't think they stored any thing that anyone else would be able to access.

Indeed, despite you need being able to access logs on personal phone systems you can still be traced through them. In fact, I think its pointless routing through them since they add no time to the trace. Bounce through banks, LANs, Government (including Social Security, Criminal Database and Academic Records), and Uplink servers instead. Avoid using personal computers, public access terminals and the phone systems.

mike22 wrote:In either case...this still overlooks the other question I had: do I not get a fresh start with a new gateway? Is there something I'm doing wrong in the sequence of self-destruct/start-new gateway?

Depends what you did in order to get caught. I bank hacks to give yourself money can be traced after a Gateway Destruct. Also, having been actively traced will fail to be cured by this. You may also have been unfortunate enough to encounter a bug. What does the report say for the user when you log into it after being caught?
Last edited by Montyphy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:33 am

It says that 'we have received a report from a large corporation that you have been caught hacking into one of their primary systems'.

Is that from being traced? I've never let the trace get past 80% or so...is that cutting it too close?
mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 am

I should add that I've done no bank hacks to give myself money...at the most, I did a couple to look up information for missions...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:36 am

It says that 'we have received a report from a large corporation that you have been caught hacking into one of their primary systems'.

Thats not what I asked. I asked about the report you get when you log into an account that has been disinvowed/caught. It will give you user stats and state which company caught you.
Last edited by Montyphy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:41 am

Ok...

It was for hacking into the Bitwise Software Central Mainframe. I had finished the first two special missions. Compromised 23 high security systems, destroyed 5 computers.

Does this hold any meaning for you? I can probably go back to a previous state before I hacked that system...
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:44 am

Are you certain you have been using log_deleter v4? Did you promptly delete the logs from your safe node after doing a hack on that system (even if you didn't gain access but managed to activate a trace)?

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:48 am

Well, I was using (exclusively) the phone-line nodes. As I mentioned before, I never was able to find logs on those (i.e., you get some dude's voice that you can record, and that's it), so there were no logs that I could delete.

Does that report look like it came from a trace while connected to the mainframe, or from leaving logs on these phone-line nodes?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:57 am

Well thats how you got traced. You hacked Bitwise Software Central Mainframe and they traced you because you didn't break the connection chain. It doesn't matter you can't access logs on Phone Systems, all that matters is that the game can still trace you through them. Mark this one up as experience and learn from it.

As for why self-destruct didn't stop them from catching, its possible its a bug. Although I don't tend to use that feature so don't really now its limits.

mike22
level1
level1

Postby mike22 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:04 am

Ok...thanks for the help.

At the very least, I have found an earlier state that I saved that I can resume from.

I do have a related question - before I thought I could be lazy with the phone-line approach, I had been deleting the logs on InterNIC as that was what made the most sense when I first started. But when I was doing this, I noticed once in a while a spurrious log would show a file being accessed - would this be some authority recording the logs, or am I safe to ignore those?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:34 am

You need to nuke a Gateway if the motion sensor turns red; however the motion sensor will also display red if there's a bunch of people there installing new hardware for you. This is no reason to nuke the gateway :P So only nuke it if it turns red and there's no new hardware being installed.

If you nuke your gateway, and in doing so, successfully avoid getting caught, you recieve a large boost in your Uplink Agent rank.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.

Return to “General”