Is it possible that Uplink will be sold through Steam?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm

Now thats something I didn't know....
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
TheShifter
level1
level1

Postby TheShifter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:12 pm

If you purchased it from this site and it later became avaliable on steam cont you just type the code into steam so it is registered with your steam id? that is what i did with half life 1.6, but half life was made by the same company as organises steam so.....

tom
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Probably not, you can't do it with Darwinia.
Nakatomi is coming
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:15 am

Uplink doesn't have unique serial numbers, so no
Dimension Jump
level1
level1

Postby Dimension Jump » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 am

I don't recall Darwinia having a serial number either - but I know, that's besides the point. Even I couldn't see Valve wanting to allow people to obtain the game via Steam when the person originally bought it from someone else! Completely different distribution networks. The only exception was their Half-Life related games and that's probably partly due to them developing most of them and needing games to be available on Steam when they first started the service.

Although, I'm not sure if you can actually buy Opposing Forces or Half-Life Blue Shift via steam or not. I know you can "activate" the CD key for them but purchasing them first hand via Steam? Not sure myself.

Well I did install the demo of Uplink and I've been playing it for an hour or so now. Gotta say, I do love it. And I really want to get the full game so I think come payday I'll just get it via the IV store and hope the P&P isn't too much =/
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:33 am

Thread title = Good idea.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:35 am

Dimension Jump wrote:I don't recall Darwinia having a serial number either - but I know, that's besides the point. Even I couldn't see Valve wanting to allow people to obtain the game via Steam when the person originally bought it from someone else! Completely different distribution networks. The only exception was their Half-Life related games and that's probably partly due to them developing most of them and needing games to be available on Steam when they first started the service.

Darwinia was originally available in shops (and still might be, I'm not sure), before it was available on Steam.
Nakatomi is coming
Dimension Jump
level1
level1

Postby Dimension Jump » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:04 am

"Darwinia was originally available in shops (and still might be, I'm not sure), before it was available on Steam."

Oh I know that - at least I did after doing research (as I'd never even heard of the game before seeing it on Steam). Most of Steam's third party games are available via standard distribution channels before they are on Steam, only exceptions I think are Half-Life 2 and it's spin-offs and perhaps that Sin Episodes game.

Return to “General”