N0ught in my house!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

N0ught
level3
level3

N0ught in my house!

Postby N0ught » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:19 pm

It's amazing to me how many people go through so much trouble to use alternative operating systems with hit-and-miss support or overwhelming "user-friendliness" (= automatic configuration crap).

Windows '98 works for me, mainly because if my computer starts giving me lip and doing things it shouldn't, I back up my personal files, fdisk and reformat the hard drive, and re-install windows - the whole process only takes 3 hours on my broadband connection, including windows updates and driver re-installation, and eliminates every possible problem in one fell swoop. It also takes up less disk space, and there are even some games that have less requirements under Win98, rather than WinXP or other systems.

Compare that to the hours, days and weeks people spend trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with their computer, and all of the dollars they spend on anti-virus programs, system checking programs, computer technicians (for those who REALLY don't want to deal with it), etc...

It is obvious that this run-around is why many people have chosen to use other operating systems - you will never find a troubleshooting file that advises you to start over from scratch. ;)

But then again, if I was a company producing viruses and adware, as well as the cures to them, I might advise people to buy my products and visit my help sites too. Business is business, after all. :D

Anyway, that is my rant for today.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:59 pm

But, how many games do you want, and you know you cant run?

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:45 pm

I know how he feels.

WinXP is just to much of a pain to patch, modify and generally run compared to Win98se. but winXP is more stable (trust me on this) and has more games run only on it.

such a shame they abandoned it, Win9X code was getting really good too...
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."
Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:16 am

Steeds wrote:I know how he feels.

WinXP is just to much of a pain to patch, modify and generally run compared to Win98se. but winXP is more stable ...

XP Home or Pro?

I've been having problems patching XP Home since I updated sometime last year. The Update site keeps saying I don't have admin rights, but I'm the only one who uses this system so I am the admin. :? Now M$ is comming out with 8 versions of Vista? They haven't gotten XP right, so why would I bother with Vista? I'll go back to 98SE if this XP updating crap keeps up. :evil:
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:00 am

(Irony):

I used to teach system building to complete beginners at my local college (it was a 1hour45min lesson a week). Which was fun. that was when win98se was top of the range and the most major problem with dos was getting that magic 600k conventional memory with your cd-roms and mouse drivers loaded. At least the problems were easy to diagnose.
But when winXP came out, i asked a friend who i had taught a few years earlier, to install it for me. Now dont get me wrong, its still a pain in the back side but im still using the same install of winxp almost four and a bit years later!! (/irony)
Instead of worrying about memory configs, i have to run several different scanners (ad-ware,spy-ware, anti-virus, firewall check, disk-check, file-check etc etc)

Bring back the old days.

(actually while writing this, i remember i had win98 installed on this pc as a dual-boot. only use it for stuff that doesnt work on xp. But got tired of reseting and updating files everytime...)

Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:03 am

I'd have to disagree with everything you said as far as Windows XP goes. XP is the best OS I've ever used, and I've never had a single problem patching, installing drivers, or anything else, and its certainly a damn sight easier to do those things in XP than in 9X.

Its true that XP may be a bit more memory intensive than 9X, but thats just progress for you. Computers now come with far more memory than the increase from 9X to XP, so thats bearly even an issue.

And, if you want to compare install times, I can get XP installed, updated, and drivers installed in about 2 hours :)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:37 am

Icepick wrote:I'd have to disagree with everything you said as far as Windows XP goes. XP is the best OS I've ever used, and I've never had a single problem patching, installing drivers, or anything else, and its certainly a damn sight easier to do those things in XP than in 9X.

Its true that XP may be a bit more memory intensive than 9X, but thats just progress for you. Computers now come with far more memory than the increase from 9X to XP, so thats bearly even an issue.

And, if you want to compare install times, I can get XP installed, updated, and drivers installed in about 2 hours :)

Thats about the same way I find it. My dad's got an old P2 350MHz on WinME and boy its slower than my P200 with XP, I kid you not.

You can actually get away with installing XP on old hardware, you just have to be very strict about what services are running. IIRC, I get XP down to 11 "essential" services on a p200, and it boots fast and runs fine. Even if it has 64MB of FPM RAM. (FPM, fokes, is older than EDO, just for a time comparison).

Most people go about formatting and re-installing OS's more often than they change their hairstyle, and I find this wholy un-needed if you're prepared to put in a bit of legwork and keep the OS working fine with simple matinence. I've had my laptop using the same install since April 2002, and my computer here since November 2004 without problem. XP is the most stable OS I've ever run.

NeoThermic
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:01 am

If you slipstream the Windows updates onto a CD with the Windows install you can install everything at once in an hour at most (with no interation needed at all). I never liked 98. 95 worked great for me, but it is so old there is no point running it any more. XP is far superior to the previous versions, so why not run it if you've got it? :)
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:34 am

i can format, and do a fresh install of XPHome in about 30 min... which is odd, since everyone i know takes sooo long to do it... but most of the time i just do a windows restore (you know that F10 thing).. but i have to admit, i was really, really, slow to warm up to XP... i was used to 98SE and it suited me fine for a while...

i do, however, have a program called XPLite, which apparently installs itself into the shell of a fresh install of XP and allows very easy modular removal of un needed xp things, i read that one user had his XPHome reduced to about 300Mb in size, and was rock solid...

anyone ever hear of/use this program? i havn't used it yet, cause i'm posponing a format until my new HDD gets in
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:46 am

Dunno about you guys, but I'll stick with good ol' Win2K. Never had a problem since I switched to this baby 3 years ago. No hiccups, no crashes, no hangs, no BSDs. Installing SP4 when i came out was also a breeze. While 8 of my co-workers already cried their eyes out after their brand new PCs with XP installed crashed, mine was still running smoothly. Installation time takes also half of what it takes XP to do. And it doesn't eat my memory as much, I can run Darwinia with other proggies running in the background.

Until MS comes up with something better than Win2K (which I doubt much), I'll stick with the tried and true. ^^
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 am

XP Pro streamlined with SP2 and all current updates takes 1 hour 15 minutes on my computer. Then I just need to install all the other "fluff" shall we say.

Linux takes about the same amount of time, but configuring wine can be a bitch.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:12 pm

The only reason i complain about winxp is that its so integrated with its internet components. win98 just makes it a darn sight easier for a intentionally 'crippled' internet pc, thats. not arguing with anyone about it (not knowledge-able anuff about it anymore) just my 2pence worth.

Return to “General”