Copy protection weakness

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

NganeLoe
level1
level1

Copy protection weakness

Postby NganeLoe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:34 am

There is a weakness generated by SF on the copy protect system. The time-limted demo from SF is a unmodified full version and in order for people to play it, they put the code file in the install! That means whoever downloads a warez version version of Uplink, they just download the demo from SF, rip the PDF file off and play!

Has anybody fixed this yet?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:35 pm

Yes, it is being fixed.

Soon the Strategy First version of the game will hopefully no longer exist.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 pm

The time limited download version is illegal anyway, Strategy First havn't been authorised by Introversion to distribute it.
NganeLoe
level1
level1

Postby NganeLoe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:38 pm

Illegal? Does that mean that the people who download it will also be charged?

Trust is a weakness, very right.. SF showed it, and they got bankurpt because not beliveing in retribution is also one..
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:26 pm

should do in my opinion. was very annoyed at VITAS other day who found out he had hacker elite edition and then dismissed the idea of buying it again to put money in chris' pocket. but still wanted devcd!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:32 pm

Bloody fanboys.

Do you realise just how harsh it would be to charge those people? They had no realistic reason to even suspect that the version was illegitimate, let alone know it. They've paid for a version of Uplink and been shafted by the fact that all the Dev CD created mods are completely useless. It's an unfair punishment, and can only be stopped by an owner of the Dev CD that happens to know the ridiculous copy protection SF employed. It is not their responsibility to buy a second copy of the game.
If you're so concerned about Chris having more money, why don't you try asking someone who has not bought a copy of the game? Better still, why don't you buy a second copy?
AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:08 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Bloody fanboys.

Do you realise just how harsh it would be to charge those people? They had no realistic reason to even suspect that the version was illegitimate, let alone know it. They've paid for a version of Uplink and been shafted by the fact that all the Dev CD created mods are completely useless. It's an unfair punishment, and can only be stopped by an owner of the Dev CD that happens to know the ridiculous copy protection SF employed. It is not their responsibility to buy a second copy of the game.
If you're so concerned about Chris having more money, why don't you try asking someone who has not bought a copy of the game? Better still, why don't you buy a second copy?

QFT
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:19 pm

vooshy wrote:should do in my opinion. was very annoyed at VITAS other day who found out he had hacker elite edition and then dismissed the idea of buying it again to put money in chris' pocket. but still wanted devcd!

Yeah, that's fair.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:21 pm

The people who bought the hacker elite version have done nothing wrong. As Mas said, they've been ripped off by Strategy First, and you want to punish them for it?
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:41 am

Mas Tnega wrote:Bloody fanboys.

Wow flames, others agree with me and fyi i did buy another copy of the game, i felt it so good that i bought a copy for my friend, so before u start judging ppl from your high horse i recommend a serious look in the reflective object named a mirror.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:44 am

First, there were no flames in Mas's post.

Second, learn to type/write.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:57 am

I have no idea what your problem is with me stew. everytime i post you seem to start. I remember the days when this place used to be a friendly place to talk but some people just make it worse, and yes I do know even Icepick has mentioned this.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:13 am

vooshy wrote:I remember the days when this place used to be a friendly place to talk but some people just make it worse

Yeah, I remember the days when we used to have a lot of fairly intelligent (or at least witty) discussions here. Then people like you started posting more and more. . .

Mas just disagreed with you, that is not flaming. If you can't stand people disagreeing with you, then this is not the place to be. In addition if you cannot be bothered to use proper English (that is real words, hint "u" is not a word, proper capitalization, and proper sentences) then this is not the place for you either.

I have no problem with you (I don't even have an opinion about you to be honest, you haven't posted enough for me to form one). I do have a problem with stupid posts (like yours above).
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:35 am

This still is a nice place to post, as long as you use proper grammar, have decent opinions on things, and dont intentionally piss off other members.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Yeah, I remember the days when we used to have a lot of fairly intelligent (or at least witty) discussions here. Then people like you started posting more and more. . .

I remind you I was here first be it all of one day. Granted I dont post all the time because I do not have alot to say usually.

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Mas just disagreed with you, that is not flaming. If you can't stand people disagreeing with you, then this is not the place to be.

Disagreeing would of been ok, i take open criticism but the narchy comment about how i should buy two copies was not needed.

Stewsburntmonkey wrote: In addition if you cannot be bothered to use proper English (that is real words, hint "u" is not a word, proper capitalization, and proper sentences)

In fact im having problems with RSI and dont feel like making it worse all the time so type the fastest way possible.

Stewsburntmonkey wrote: then this is not the place for you either.

Im sorry, are you trying to tell me you wont let me talk anymore, i seem to believe this is introversion's prerogative.

I like posting here, Im not going anywhere.

Return to “General”