Who's selling Hacker Elite? IV takes legal action...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Rycr
level1
level1

Postby Rycr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:57 am

Don't know if these links were posted before, as I only have a couplle minutes to post, but here's some I found:

http://www.biggamedownloads.com/free-st ... uplink.htm
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/detai ... id=3234685
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?coo ... id=D000723

One site I went to had a link to an Uplink:HE page on cdaccess.com, but the page was already removed and the site no longer offers the game, so that's already taken care of.

...wow, my first post in about 1.5 years...I should come back more often.

I'm so glad I bought Uplink before HE came out. Heck, I got it before the Nakatomi patch!
I may have a paltry number of posts, but I've been around since the Pre-Nakatomi days.
Roadblock
level0

Postby Roadblock » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:59 pm

instead of using norton you might as well have a message connected to your IP, saying, "please infect this system" :wink:

a few easy to use d/l's for you:

- AD-AWARE SE - good anti- spyware program that is totally free

- Spybot (Search and destroy) - Anti- Bot program that makes sure that nothing is doing what it shouldn't

- NOD32 - Good Anti- virus software *requires payment but has 30 day trial

i would reccomend staying away from AVG, simply because me and my mates don't trust it...

un-install Limewire for the love of your processor, that thing is even worse than Norton, it's literally a viral magnet, get a torrent d/l'er instead. 8)
Mick Mc_Guiness
level0

EBgames sells it through trygames

Postby Mick Mc_Guiness » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:50 pm

I found it through EBGames.com. I hope this helps.
Xenephobe
level1
level1

Postby Xenephobe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:13 am

Free...
Odomus
level0

Question....

Postby Odomus » Sat May 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Been here for quite a while... long logn time ago...

Frainkly I bought my version... U:HE From EB games like back in 99-2000 I know this cause i had it way before 9/11 happen.

Now keeping this in mind what consititues as a pirated version? ONly the ones online? Or is there a specific date? Because yes I did get the Boxed version, with manuals, Shrink wraped CD jewel case... it was used but unopend. If i remember correctly it was v1.0 when I installed it I dont really remember but i think that was the version.

Also how do you know EXACTLY if you have a pirated version? Is it only becuase you bought it online?
Or do Stores you actually go into like EB games or Gamestop, or Circuit City or Frys or whatever the Gameselling store you can walk into physically and buy the game can sell the pirated games?

Iam not asking to be sarcastic, Iam actually asking a legit question... Since I do have the CD from SF the jewel cse iam looking at with the SF logo on the bottom Left corner of the front of the case. And I want to know if this is a bad game meaning that I bought something that was illegal game or what.

Thanks
-Odomus
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 20, 2007 4:12 am

If you read the content of this thread, you'll see that *all* versions entitled 'Uplink: Hacker Elite' and published by Strategy First are 'bad' because SF stopped paying Introversion royalties - that is, they were effectively making money with someone else's intellectual property. This does not make it a 'pirate' copy, as such, but it is an ethically dubious copy. If you're worried about getting such copies, the easiest solution is to buy it straight from Introversion.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Re: Question....

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun May 20, 2007 4:48 am

Odomus wrote:Frainkly I bought my version... U:HE From EB games like back in 99-2000 I know this cause i had it way before 9/11 happen.

That is really quite impossible. Neglecting the fact that Uplink was not released until late 2001, the deal with Strategy First until 2003.

Odomus wrote:Now keeping this in mind what consititues as a pirated version? ONly the ones online? Or is there a specific date? Because yes I did get the Boxed version, with manuals, Shrink wraped CD jewel case... it was used but unopend. If i remember correctly it was v1.0 when I installed it I dont really remember but i think that was the version.

Not pirated, per se. As KingAl said, IV signed a deal with SF, then didn't get paid the proper royalties. That being said, any copy of Uplink sold by SF is suspect. So, if you have a copy sold by SF, it is questionable.
Odomus
level0

Postby Odomus » Sun May 20, 2007 1:52 pm

OK well timing... What i do know is that for a fact it was BEFORE 9/11 only reason why I know this is because I was playing Uplink while it happened. So timing MAYBE a little off Not by much but it was still before.

And as I said before, what makes it questionalble?
ONly because IV didnt get their money?
AND KingAl as i ASKED before, and you didnt need to be a little **** about it why dont YOU READ my own post... The questions was what was the time frame? Or Quote "Or is there a specific date? "
I didnt know I needed to add 'ANything after 2001? When did they stop paying vs what would be considered a 'dubious copy'... if they stop paying after anything after 9/2001 then mine wouldnt be considered one
(I can only go on what I remember playing on that specific day which was Uplink).' I thought you were smart enough to put that together.

Or is Tom considering all U:HE games wehter they paid before or not all dubious copies? I would like a date on this if it is possible.

I couldnt find any Court papers online in the UK Canada or anywhere talking about this since it should of been public knowledge. I might be looking in the wrong place maybe not... but I woud like to know what is going on and what is happening and what all the facts are pretaining to the case. Somewhere it is public knowledge and I would like to see it, I just cant find it.

-Odomus
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 20, 2007 2:12 pm

If you actually gave a reliable date, rather than claiming you purchased Hacker Elite pre-9/11 when it had not yet been released, then perhaps I would be able to give you a reliable answer. I wasn't initially hostile so I see no reason for you to be.

I think the answer you are looking for is this: regardless of when you bought it, the copy you own isn't technically 'illegal' - it was the action of the publishers that was illegal. Since you weren't aware of the issue at the time you bought it, purchase before or after the royalty payments were ceased can be considered ethically equivalent. Since your fictional purchase date was presumably created to avoid any feeling of guilt on your part, go on feeling that way. If you're interested in details, Strategy First filed for bankruptcy some time in 2004, but had ceased paying royalties a little before then, to my understanding.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
Odomus
level0

Postby Odomus » Sun May 20, 2007 3:56 pm

It is a reliable date... my god... YOu obviously dont live in the USA, or anyone who does would know what they were doing that whole day. I have mine writen down in a book for that day for future refrence and knowledge. For others as well as myself. From the time it happen all the way to when i went to sleep. I knwo what i was doing, I know what i cooked ate talked to every second. SO it is a a reliable date.
AS for it being bought no. As i said I know for a fact it was before 9/11, why dont you look it up research it. It was before 9/11 so there you go.

And you were hostile so dont give me that crud. "If you read the content of this thread, " any words to this affect/effect are hostile period. You assumed something which wasent true, and that is hostile.

ABout the guilt no. You are assuming something again making yourself look stupid.
IF It is fact, if they stoped paying the royalties for the game in 2004 or even 2003 that whole year. It wouldnt matter. They got paid for my game as well as prob alot of others when I/We had bought it in 99 00 01 02... any time doesnt matter the date. I will give you 03. Any copies they are not paying for 03+ I will agree with the dubious and 'illegal' copies since they had no right to be selling them. That i will agree with. Again this is fact not guilt.

At the time I had bought it and the time they WERE paying the royalties mine was a 'legal' and 'non-dubious' copy at that time. Now if iw as to buy a copy that is being sold like if it was brand spakin new... that is a different story as i said above I would agree with you. Again this is not guilt it is fact.

Again another fact you seem to over look in your statement "regardless of when you bought it, the copy you own isn't technically 'illegal' - it was the action of the publishers that was illegal."
There is no reguardless period. It is all depndant on dates. IF the game was bought before they stoped payign the royalties... then it has no legal binding in a court.
Cause in fact the contract was being upheld at thoes dates.
When they failed to make payments and the games being sold after theos dates would and will be considered 'illegal'.
So the dates ARE needed... and are not just flusy type of dates which dont matter, as you are making them out to be.
You obviously have not been to court and have not been through similar contact disputes where DATES and TIMES MATTER.

This is what I want to clarify, and what is really being said and what is really going on. Since Tom obviously isnt reading tese anymore to confirm of what has been going this will never really be cleared up.

I still know what iam talking about... i know what I did, and what was done on that day, so dont be condencending, and an inane, what you think yourself as a little mr know it all when you arent.

Get Your fact straight before you start spouting off what you dont know about.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun May 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I'm pretty certain Uplink was released on 1st October 2001...
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 20, 2007 4:15 pm

Odomus wrote:It is a reliable date... my god... YOu obviously dont live in the USA, or anyone who does would know what they were doing that whole day. I have mine writen down in a book for that day for future refrence and knowledge. For others as well as myself. From the time it happen all the way to when i went to sleep. I knwo what i was doing, I know what i cooked ate talked to every second. SO it is a a reliable date.
AS for it being bought no. As i said I know for a fact it was before 9/11, why dont you look it up research it. It was before 9/11 so there you go. ...ABout the guilt no. You are assuming something again making yourself look stupid.

You're missing the simple fact that, if you have a 'Hacker Elite' version of Uplink, then it is completely impossible for it to have been purchased before 9/11 (unless, of course, you mean any September of any year, which I very much doubt). You are continually repeating things which are patently untrue, making yourself look stupid.

Odomus wrote: And you were hostile so dont give me that crud. "If you read the content of this thread, " any words to this affect/effect are hostile period. You assumed something which wasent true, and that is hostile.

You asked 'what constitutes a pirated version'. As I highlighted, had you read the thread you would understand that the SF-published version are not pirated. Thus, I was under the impression you had not read it. I did not, however, say 'STFU n00b lurk moar' - I attempted to be of assistance. Apparently, I should refrain from doing so in future.

Odomus wrote: There is no reguardless period. It is all depndant on dates. IF the game was bought before they stoped payign the royalties... then it has no legal binding in a court.
Cause in fact the contract was being upheld at thoes dates.
When they failed to make payments and the games being sold after theos dates would and will be considered 'illegal'.
So the dates ARE needed... and are not just flusy type of dates which dont matter, as you are making them out to be.
You obviously have not been to court and have not been through similar contact disputes where DATES and TIMES MATTER.

I know very well what I'm talking about. It is not illegal for you to own the copy you purchased. It may well have been illegal for SF to publish it, but your ownership of the copy is not in question. Thus, your own subjective ethical code is all that decides how you feel about owning the copy - you have no legal prerogative.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun May 20, 2007 4:20 pm

As far as Wikipedia can be trusted, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uplink_(computer_game) states that the game was published after 9/11.

As a Brit, I remember I was playing Team Fortress Classic when it happened.

EDIT: DAMN BRACKETS AND URL TAGS
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Here are the respective press releases by Introversion and Strategy First regarding the Hacker Elite release, for more definitive proof.
Last edited by KingAl on Sun May 20, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
mr_anonymous
level3
level3

Postby mr_anonymous » Sun May 20, 2007 4:25 pm

First off, it is impossible for you to have bought the game in 1999 or 2000, because the game had not even been released yet. According to Wikipedia, Uplink was released on the 1st of October 2001. According to the IV news archive, there were several public betas released before then, but version 1.0 was not released for sale until October of 2001. These are facts.

Second, if you bought the game before 2003, you did not buy the Strategy First version, so you have nothing to worry about. That is why we are questioning your dates.

You may have been playing Uplink on the 11th of September 2001, but, if you were, you were playing a beta version. You were not playing a release version, and you certainly weren't playing the SF version.

So, why don't you get your facts straight before you start spouting off what you don't know about.

Return to “General”