Who's selling Hacker Elite? IV takes legal action...

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:40 pm

havn't noticed it for sale anywhere, but when ever it gts put up on torrent sites i mention that its' not a legal torrent and it's taken down... hey, i try...lol
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:47 am

True, i havent seen a copy of Uplink in a store for a long long time...

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
la_Rapiere
level1
level1

Postby la_Rapiere » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:29 pm

Just want to know what the situation is... I bought my copy of Uplink:Hacker Elite from EB Games in Canada... I assume this is a legit copy I purchased? Is this just some online retailers selling copies that you're after? I can check EB Games here, and The Source (which was Radio Shack, got bought by Circuit City)... anything I can do to help, let me know.

-la Rapiere
masaharu
level0

Postby masaharu » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:33 am

Ok,

I'm new here, so please help me out. I purchased a copy of Uplink: HE from strategy first's website. Is this purchase illegal? Have I been had?

What's the situation?

Thanks
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:52 pm

To clarify.

Hacker Elite version is the US/Canadian release by Strategy First. It is now essentially illegal as Introversion are not getting any royalties from it. Also it wont work with the mods or newer patches for the most part.

Return your versions if you can. Buy from the Introversion store.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:10 pm

Rkiver wrote:Hacker Elite version is the US/Canadian release by Strategy First. It is now essentially illegal as Introversion are not getting any royalties from it. Also it wont work with the mods or newer patches for the most part.

Well, the older versions that were in stores in the US are essential just the same as the Uplink 1.0, and work fine with patches and mods. It's just the digital distribution, and possibly later 'budget' releases of HE that have the problems.
masaharu
level0

Postby masaharu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:52 am

Ok,

So now I am confused.

http://www.uplink.co.uk/hackerelite.html

According to the Uplink site this version is legal? If it is illegal, how can SF (to my knowledge a big games distributor) be allowed to sell illegal games? Why does the site not get shut down like other warez sites?

I delibaratle bought from SF because it is a recognized name. I'm almost certain that they wil not return a downloaded version?? (If they have before, can someone tell me?)

This is very distressing to me, as I am still a student and cannot afford just to throw money away.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:08 am

masaharu has a point....

The page does need changing if introversion are willing to go to legal action. They basically "promoting" the strategy first edition!

Does the introversion boys (and girls) have anything to say?
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."
Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:28 pm

Hacker Elite is not illegal. It's immoral, because SF are exploiting a badly written contract and an American legal loophole to screw over IV, and also SF have f**d with the code so that you can't use mods or patches, but it isn't illegal.

However, Uplink is a small, popular game, from a small developer, and so is very much an easy warez. This is what IV are going after - the high-profile warez sites who don't think a small outfit can touch them.

They may be right. But it's a valiant attempt, in any case!
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
masaharu
level0

Postby masaharu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Well,

Thanks for the info guys. At the moment I'll still play HE, as this is the only copy I have (and can afford at the moment) and I just love this game.

But as soon as I can afford it, I will definatly buy a copy from IV. Besides, I'm still oldschool. I love the feeling of having the original CD.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:16 am

doormat wrote:Hacker Elite is not illegal. It's immoral, because SF are exploiting a badly written contract and an American legal loophole to screw over IV, and also SF have f**d with the code so that you can't use mods or patches, but it isn't illegal.

Well, since IV are persuing legal action, I assume there is some kind of basis for this, ie Strategy First's actions ARE illegal - however, users of the SF version arn't doing anything wrong, infact, they're being ripped off.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:27 pm

Hmm... I re-read the post, and HE does seem to be what the're going after, or at least online retailers of it...

Strainge. I thought SF were licenced distributers, but were under bankruptcy protection. Maybe that doesn't include online sales?

We could use some clarification on this.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:39 pm

I think its along the lines of strategy first owe them lots of money stateside.

....If only bank hacking was as easy in real life as it was in uplink.....

Anyone know how to change a company name in uplink to SF ??
A new mod mission maybe? :)

Copy of news clip from uplink.co.uk:

22nd September 2004

Strategy First, the company which publishes "Uplink:Hacker Elite" in America and Canada, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as of late August, reporting a debt of over $5 million. The company suspended all royalty payments to Introversion Software during Spring 2003, and we have not received anything since.

At this date Strategy First owe us tens of thousands of dollars in unpaid royalties. We have decided to announce this now that their financial situation has been made public. Although this has placed considerable financial strain on Introversion it will not affect the release of Darwinia as we have known about this information for over a year and have planned accordingly.

Introversion will survive to put Darwinia on the shelves, but your support along the way is greatly appreciated.
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."

Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:57 am

Have the legal notices been handed out yet? Earlier today, I was at Stardock looking for a theme/skinning program (see my post in the lounge), but out of curiosity I checked them and found that totalgaming.stardock.com was selling the U:HE warez.
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:35 pm

I'd prefer Introversion taking illegal action. Such as tire irons to the kneecap.
Luigi for mod in 2006!

Return to “General”