Introversion's third game : New Defcon Screenshots!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Toxic Influx
level2
level2

Postby Toxic Influx » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:47 pm

Phydaux wrote:
Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Xbox Live Arcade might be cool, but I think IV would have to totally redo the graphics engine to make it use DirectX instead of OpenGL which might be more work than it is worth. :)
Darwinia and Defcon would be great on Xbox Live. They would also look awsome on HD.
Time to petition MS. They could buy the rights to engineer a 360 compatable version of the games so IV don't have to do all the coding.

Sounds cool. That would only cost, about a few millions?
2 things are infinite: the universe and men's stupidity. And about the universe I'm not sure.

- Albert Einstein
Colossi
level0

Postby Colossi » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:29 am

Sadly, it's not that easy...Microsoft wouldn't do it even if there was a petition.Look at something they could do with ease - porting some of their Xbox games for 360.Still, even when lots and lots of fans wrote to them about porting Psychonauts they didn't even reply.And they've said they reply on every message they receive on this particular mail.Of course, if it was about a top-seller, they would port it at once...
And that's just about porting from the first Xbox!To make compatible versions of Darwinia or Defcon...they would never do it.
It's another question that they are trying to prevent every creative game out there from reaching their...computer console, or they give it several months and release it unfinished.
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:54 pm

I don't know, Xbox Live Arcade seems to be gearing up for a lot of classic games. StreetFighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting, I think will lead the way, and with the "success" of Darwinia on Steam I think a platform like xbox live arcade is perfect for it.

Porting from the xbox to the 360 is different than writing games that work on the 360. The ported games have to have the origianal xbox hardware emulated. This takes time to do decent conversions.

I don't know why MS didn't take an approach to the emulation like the MAME guys, just exact hardware emulation. Then all xbox games would work. I assume the 360 doesn't have the power to emulate it perfectly, so each game has it's own emulator, that cut's corners, to try and save as much processing power as possible.

Return to “General”