What's wrong with the SF version of Uplink?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:58 am

And let's do away with the codecard and just check with the little booklet...

The world.dat file is there to stop people screwing with the game. It is not there to be disregarded or replaced.

Next question...
Can SF users aquire book2?
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm

I don't think it would violate the agreement to add protection so that you require either the SF world.dat or the original IV world.dat. The reason it checks that file is because it's nice and large, making casual distribution fairly impractical. I assume. Actually, I have no idea.

Interesting question: are there two versions of the patch then? Because otherwise it would either have to check for either world.dat already, or it would break. I think :roll:

And yes, removing the check is very straightforward. I think it's even as simple as modifying a #define.
phyreskull
(Dave Ingram)

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videteur!
An Uplink DevCD Owner, and proud!
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:50 pm

It basically goes:

Code: Select all

#ifdef FULLGAME

**Check the characters at a location in world.dat to make sure they're right**

**Check filesize of world.dat**

#endif
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Talesin
level4
level4

Postby Talesin » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:55 am

Irritating when a distributor screws with it. I doubt that the IV boys would have a problem if an end user was just fixing the distributor's cockup.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:49 am

But is it a cock-up or a very deliberate change?
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:23 am

I think we'll have to get a comment from the IV team on that one
phyreskull

(Dave Ingram)

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videteur!

An Uplink DevCD Owner, and proud!
vodka_mike
level0

Postby vodka_mike » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:27 pm

Sorry to just drop into the conversation, but an interesting point is that you can download 1.31 patch from the Strategy First support site and it messes up the game. (Fatal error on start up) My version is from the Trygames site. I had no way to know there were problems with it, or that there was a dispute. As a user I shouldn't have to know either. I now have a full version of the game that the developer has disowned, despite the fact that it's lawfully a legal copy.

So is it a problem with Trygames? or SF? or IV?

It really sucks that I have a legitimate copy of the game and can't use the latest patch or any of the mods, which is one of the reasons why people buy the full version in the first place!

I assume that Trygames were given rights to sell the game by SF, who by law is still the legit seller in North America. (Unless IV has sued them to stop sales and revoked the rights.)
Last edited by vodka_mike on Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:23 pm

Strategy First has filed some kind of crappy bankruption... thingy... so they can't be sued, or stopped from selling Uplink

Ask other members who cares about details for more info ¬_¬
vooshy
level2
level2

Postby vooshy » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:42 am

ppl buy it from introversion, they made it, they deserve the money. big corporate losers taking cuts is disgusting. i do feel sorry for ppl who gave their money to the corporates but in this life we lose money, i lost my fair share, but introversion deserve the money. and u get a working classy game out of it.
vodka_mike
level0

Postby vodka_mike » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:14 am

I'm not saying that Introversion doesn't deserve the money. I love game devs, and I know how hard it is to swim with the big sharks out there.

But what they have done with patch 1.31 and the mods/themes support is to say that none of the copies of Uplink sold in Canada and the US get support. They have shut out the single biggest gaming market in the world, and the only reason there isn't a big up roar is that the game is older and only the few who are just discovering it are being affected.

I have returned my SF version of the game to Trygames. They offer a 48 hour return period. But after all of this nonsense will I head to the 'proper' online store to buy the 'real' version?

Do you guys realize that according to what Introversion wants there is no way to buy this game in North America? I can't get it unless I'm willing to pay shipping from the UK. That's just stupid. Not to mention the fact that the only people they are hurting by discontinuing updates for the North American version is themselves. How many thousands of people who legally bought the game have they cut off?

If they are upset with their distributor in North America, get a new one! Don't take it out on me. I just went to the store and bought their game, I didn't do anything wrong.

Geez why can't they just let Ambrosia sell the PC version as well as the Mac?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:19 am

Shipping to the US isn't very expensive. . .

The shipping was actually included until very recently.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:54 am

I am not certain you know what you are talking about. 1.31 was released in September 2002. Strategy First was more of an Early 2003 thing. Updates got discontinued for everyone a long time ago.

Strategy First broke their Uplink. If Introversion were to fix it, I'm fairly sure that said fix and available patches would collectively constitute the whole of Uplink, which would be very bad.

Return to “General”