the.web.hermit
level1
level1

A little debate...

Postby the.web.hermit » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:08 pm

One for the philosophers.

I exist.

Discuss.
Last edited by the.web.hermit on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:13 pm

I have never met you. My entire knowlege of you is off some posts off a forum. Therefore I cannot say wheter you exist, or are merely an advanced computer program.
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:17 pm

Wouldn't that therefore imply that something does exsist as a presence on these forums?
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:19 pm

I hate it when people think they start a discussion this way. Either state your opinions or don't waste forums space. A two word sentence is nothing to discuss, especially when one of those words is misspelled.
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:23 pm

Ok I admit this was bad idea. Let it die then.

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:11 pm

the.web.hermit wrote:Wouldn't that therefore imply that something does exsist as a presence on these forums?

Nope. It may be that I'm delusional and neither these forums nor anyone or anything posting on them really exist.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:03 pm

Darksun wrote:
the.web.hermit wrote:Wouldn't that therefore imply that something does exsist as a presence on these forums?

Nope. It may be that I'm delusional and neither these forums nor anyone or anything posting on them really exist.

Then I'm delusional aswell gah!

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:27 pm

Darksun wrote:Nope. It may be that I'm delusional and neither these forums nor anyone or anything posting on them really exist.
But if we exist in your mind, then we still have an existance, even if it's only in the neurones in you brain.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:29 pm

the.web.hermit wrote:Ok I admit this was bad idea. Let it die then.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of a philosophical debate is great. It just takes something with a good deal of meat to get a real debate started. If you are going to try and start a debate with 2 words one of them had better be from this list: "piracy" (internet piracy, although it looks like piracy on the high seas is making a comeback, at least in Somolia, so that could be interesting too), "Israel", "Hitler". :)
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:11 am

Maybe the nature of existance is the point of this debate. Wheter we are physical creatures, or just data in some supercomputer.

If you seen the first Matrix movie, you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'd elaborate further, but it's after midnight here and I need my rest. Good night!

|o zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:56 am

Yes, that is an interesting concept, although we can't really decide either way so I've never thought it was much of a debate. :)
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:02 am

Solipsism ftw \o/
Steeds
level2
level2

Postby Steeds » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:30 pm

"To be; or not to be" is not the question really. (takes deep breath)

To have a personality is because you have minor flaws or niggles that differentiate you from the next person (i.e a car is slightly different from the next car even though its the same model because of the knocks and bumps its been through and the way the owner uses it and decorates it. It becomes a "Virtual personality"). How you talk, argue and generally behave on the forums that gives you this "virtual personality".

To exist is the same as saying that this cup of coffee exists seperate from the original coffee tub. Its not if it exists or not, its how we perceive it too.

In the mandatory link to the matrix, neo was first bewildered by the training room, because something existed in front of him even though it should not. He could touch it, feel it, even smell it and although in the physical world it did not "exist", it did in the virtual world alongside him. but he was also virtual. so how could he exist in that minature world if the comfortable looking chair did not?

It doesnt matter how or where you exist (either as a person laughing and talking with you in a pub or as faceless text on a forum or email), its how we percieve you to exist.
(finally takes lets go after turning blue......)
"If god had meant us not to wear clothes, we would be born naked...."
Leetkey for all your firefox L3375p34k requirements
xMs
level3
level3

Re: A little debate...

Postby xMs » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:31 pm

the.web.hermit wrote:One for the philosophers.

I exist.

Discuss.

Well I'm not having this silly conversation with noone am I?
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:33 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:
the.web.hermit wrote:Ok I admit this was bad idea. Let it die then.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of a philosophical debate is great. It just takes something with a good deal of meat to get a real debate started. If you are going to try and start a debate with 2 words one of them had better be from this list: "piracy" (internet piracy, although it looks like piracy on the high seas is making a comeback, at least in Somolia, so that could be interesting too), "Israel", "Hitler". :)

Nah, this type of debate would work if the person speaking the words is in front you. Sadly that thou- uhh... concept occurred to me after posting (I am aware my spelling is awful, by the way).

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God

Return to “General”