Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

A request from Introversion Software

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Greetings,

You may or may not be aware of this, but we have just released a brand new demo of our second game 'Darwinia'. We're aware that you've probably all played the original demo, and we know (from our sales figures) that a very large number of you didn't feel sufficiently moved to buy Darwinia. Which is fair enough - Darwinia and Uplink are very different games, and there's no particular reason why an Uplink fan should like Darwinia. But in the interests of business, please excuse us this one little advert.

We've come to realise since Darwinia's launch that our original demo did a terrible job of introducing the game to new players. We often left them confused, annoyed, or just plain bored. It certainly didn't represent the quality of the full game. We thought long and hard about it, and we've made a lot of improvements and changes, and overall we're confident you will have a much better time with this new demo than you did with the original.

Some screenshots taken directly from the new demo:

Image . Image . Image

We've totally revamped the control mechanism - one of most commonly mentioned dislikes of Darwinia. The gesture system is gone, replaced with a much more conventional icon-based system. No more drawing triangles on screen to summon a Squad - now you just click the Squad icon, or press they keyboard shortcut F1. We've also removed things like the alt-tab to switch tasks (now you click the icons), and the ctrl-c to terminate tasks (now you click the terminate icon). It's much easier to learn, and much less in your face. We've patched the full game to include this new control mechanism, and the old gestures system is still available for those who want it.

The new demo also contains an entirely new level which we've created from scratch, solely for the purpose of introducing players to the world of Darwinia. There is an extensive tutorial system that runs right through the demo, and there's an introductory sequence that explains what Darwinia is all about. The original demo failed to give clear goals and provided very little help to new players - so if you left Darwinia feeling like you had no idea what you were supposed to be doing, hopefully the new demo will answer your questions.

So, to all you Uplink fans who weren't that impressed with Darwinia - please give it another shot, and try our new demo.

Download here.

Chris, Mark and Tom
Introversion Software
Last edited by Chris on Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:02 pm

Awesome, I'll try it out right away
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:48 pm

Ya know, I always intended to play Darwinia, and never got round to it. When my exams finish in a couple of weeks, I'll give it a go, but I daren't download it now, just in case it's as addictive as uplink. :P
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
majingray
level2
level2

Postby majingray » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:03 pm

i found the orignal demo to run insainly slow due to sound memory useage ect.
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:05 pm

I bought darwinia last week :P

Only on second mission, but loving it :)
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:48 pm

Bought darwinia when it first came out, it's still very playable, and since demo2 I started messing around in the level editor with all the rocket stuffs. yayz.
Blasted heath
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:06 pm

I bought Darwinia for the Mac, but never got past the fourth level or so. It lagged heavily many times, and just wasn't very fun. No offense, though. Everyone has different tastes. Uplink, as you said, wasvery different. Uplink left me with an adrenaline rush, a thrill and excitement, and the ideas of many possibilites just waiting to be discovered.

I wait in hope for the next game.
Iris
level5
level5

Postby Iris » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:18 am

Well, Darwinia to me is as exhilerating as Uplink, and the possibilities are endless too with the ability to make your own mods. Just check out the Mods section on the Darwinia forums (go for Stricken Souls, you'll get a kick out of it =) to see. Cheers! ^^
Dezmond
level4
level4

Postby Dezmond » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:53 pm

Is this the same demo that was on the PCG cover DVD?
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:16 pm

I'd like to try it myself, but I need some upgrades first. Don't think the demo will run on my 700MHz Athlon w/ Rage 128 graphics.

But I did manage to get Uplink to run on my 200MHz K6 system reasonably well before.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:24 am

I ran Darwinia on a P3 1GHz with 128MB RAM and a 32MB GeForce 2
Darkshine
level5
level5

Postby Darkshine » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:38 am

Will the new system be ported to a mac patch? I only started playing the game (finally!) a few days ago but am enjoying it thoroughly. But I agree that the gesture system is a little contrived and welcome the option to click buttons instead.

I remember when I was beta testing that it took me a long time to even figure out i switched task using alt-tab, i was sitting there click on the little icons at the bottom wondering why the hell it wouldnt work!

So I'm sure the changes make for a much more pleasent experience.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:57 am

Darksun wrote:I ran Darwinia on a P3 1GHz with 128MB RAM and a 32MB GeForce 2

I can run Darwinina on my laptop... which is a P3 1.2GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM, and a 32MB SMA S3 Twister HP (which can't get any more than 700 in 3Dmark01).

I also managed to get Darwinia running on a 1GHz p3 with 320MB RAM and a 16MB TNT2.

NeoThermic
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:57 pm

Played the demo!

I like it, but..... I think i prefer the old control method to be honest.

It's also a very good way to start the game, and the idea of the Darwinians building a rocket kicks ass :D

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.

Return to “General”