Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

doormat
level4
level4

Erm... A little help here, guys!

Postby doormat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:44 pm

Deepsmeg, I'm looking at you!

I have a sister. She has a student house. They all want b/band.

Naturaly, she knows that I set up all the computers in our house (3) to use one internet connection (1 plug-and-play router, no waiting.)

Problem is, she's told all her friends that I'll set up the same thing for them, and the've gone and got ADSL.

1) I don't know anyting about adsl - we're on cable.

2) There are 5 of them - the combined router-hubs all seem to have 4 port switches.

3) One of the girls (yes, my sisters housemates are all fit girls) is dead set on "wireless", because she's heard that it's cool. Problem is, that means installing wireless PCI cards on every PC in the house (she, of course, uses a laptop.) She's already paid for the suppliers "wireless" modem, which is probably crap.

I realy don't want to make my sister look like an idot (or me, come to that,) but I'm not up to this.

I'm doing it wired if I can, but does anyone know of a five port router-hub, or how to share a connection over a standard hub? Would I need a dedicated server to do that? Hell, does anyone even know where I can get some realy long RJ-45 cables!? :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:55 pm

ok, the best way to do it would be:
Phoneline --- Modem/Router --- Computers
If there are more computers than ports on the router, you'll need to tack a switch on.

I'd draw a pretty picture, but I don't have the tool I use for diagrams on this system.
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:04 pm

Just get a , ADSL Wireless Router.

Will Have Wireless , And a few ethernet 4-5.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product. ... 4GT-WG111T
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:22 pm

Yeah, sweatybob.

Or maybe something like this.

Like deepsmeg says, thats just - modem->router->Computers. RJ 45 cables. No mess, no fuss. That, I can do. :P

Problem is, only 4 ports and I'd need, like, a 30m cable for the most distant room.

(Oh, yeah, and the wireless-obsessed bitch.)

How would I go about tacking on a "switch" to that, then?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Hang on, I'm doing you a diagram now. I'm downlaoding the software again...

The router and switch are shown as sperate entities on there because I don't have any symbols that would depect one with a built in switch. End effect's the same though...

Enjoy.[/img]
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:29 pm

So I connect the other switch to the uplink port on the router? No drivers or anything - it just... works? Nothing's ever that simple.:wink:
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 pm

AFAIK, router's don't have uplink ports...

Thinking about it, the bit of the router that is the switch may have an autosensing port, but it doesn't really matter much on newer gear.

You do NOT want to put the switch into the side that you connect the internet to. That'd not quite work. It's an experiment I've often wanted to try, but it won't help you here.

As for drivers, why would it need drivers? More, what are you going to drive? The PCs? The router? There's nothing that can be driven!

---

On a side note, I'd go with a Linksys WRT54G or WAG54G for a wireless router if you consider it..

The WRT54G has 4 FastEthernet ports on the LAN side, and 1 FastEthernet on the WAN side.
The WAG54G has 4 FE ports on the LAN side and an ADSL modem on the WAN side.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:51 pm

Yeah, like I said, I know nothing about networks. I just expected to have to install some software or do some configuration so that the router knew to send two lots of data out of one hole. Now I think about it, I guess the switch handles all that, and the router just ends up sending twice as much information to what it sees as one host. Gah.

Lets move on. Assume I wanted to humour this girl. How would I go about setting up a wireless system.

I'm guessing modem->Router(w/l) - - - >Wireless card/Computer.

Is there any limits to the number of hosts a single wireless router can support? Can the system be made secure enough to keep out all the free-riding CS students in the area? And is it easy to set up? After all, it's not my money...
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:01 pm

WiFi is more expensive, has a more limited range, and WEP can be cracked in 10 minutes.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:04 pm

Line the walls with Lead. Then no-one will crack your WEP.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:49 pm

Deepsmeg wrote:AFAIK, router's don't have uplink ports...

NeoThermic
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Deepsmeg wrote:Thinking about it, the bit of the router that is the switch may have an autosensing port, but it doesn't really matter much on newer gear.
Ok, I should have been a bit clearer... It copuld have an uplink port on the attached switch/hub, but not likely to be on the routing bit of it.
MarkeZ
level3
level3

Postby MarkeZ » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:24 am

doormat wrote:Yeah, like I said, I know nothing about networks. I just expected to have to install some software or do some configuration so that the router knew to send two lots of data out of one hole. Now I think about it, I guess the switch handles all that, and the router just ends up sending twice as much information to what it sees as one host. Gah.

Lets move on. Assume I wanted to humour this girl. How would I go about setting up a wireless system.

I'm guessing modem->Router(w/l) - - - >Wireless card/Computer.

Is there any limits to the number of hosts a single wireless router can support? Can the system be made secure enough to keep out all the free-riding CS students in the area? And is it easy to set up? After all, it's not my money...

Doormat, the number of PC's you can connect via wireless usually depends on the equipment and theoretically you could connect the same number of pc's as if they were wired. The main difference is range and speed. Range varies widely depending on where the router is located, how many walls the signal has to go pass, interfirances in the area, etc. What's the distance we're talking about? Speed, while in wired connections you usually get 100 Mb connections in wireless the mainstream is 54Mbits and that's assuming you have an 802.11g router AND 802.11g cards. Of course if all they want is to share the internet connection it won't matter if you're at 100/54 or even at 11 Mbps (802.11b).

As for securing the wireless network, i'd recommend changing the ssid, disabling the broadcast, changing the default IP range, limit the number of IP's in the dhcp or disabling it alltogether, configure the mac filtering and use wpa or wep. If anyone is able to connect to the router after all that...let him, he's earned it :-P
Visit The Troll Grounds an experience you don't want to miss...well...sort of

NOW WITH 2 BRAND NEW SECTIONS
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:43 am

I would just use one of the wireless routers from someone like Linksys (they are pretty cheap now) and they have ethernet ports too, so you can use eithernet on the the machines that don't need wireless and still have wireless connectivity for whoever wants it.

I doubt you will be generating enough traffic to make WEP cracking an issue, but most newer wireless routers support WPA which is more secure than WEP, and if you are really worried about security just enable WPA and limit by MAC address. Someone could still break in theoretically, but who would bother with all the totally open wireless points around? :)
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:02 am

Deepsmeg wrote:On a side note, I'd go with a Linksys WRT54G or WAG54G for a wireless router if you consider it..

The WRT54G has 4 FastEthernet ports on the LAN side, and 1 FastEthernet on the WAN side.
The WAG54G has 4 FE ports on the LAN side and an ADSL modem on the WAN side.

I would just use one of the wireless routers from someone like Linksys (they are pretty cheap now) and they have ethernet ports too

Echo!

Return to “General”