Uplink 2

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:45 pm

You can't have public subroutines named the same thing in different modules, because they're public (and effectively transcend the fact that they're in different modules, unlike forms, where everything is private) - hence, you can only have one public sub main, so that's the one that is called.

If you have a form in your project, then it has a GUI. If you don't have a form, then it doesn't. You might find you need to tell VB to load your form from sub main in your module, but that's beside the point.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:03 pm

I've even managed to do CLI stuff in VB6!

Hah!
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks for your fast replies again!

Okay, in that case, I'll create a non-graphical server first, I can always make a graphical front-end later.

Goldfish, Could you also help me with this other thing... To create modules, is it better to create subs or functions ? At this moment, I mostly use functions and not subs. So, is this the code:

Code: Select all

Private Function FunctionName (variable As Type) As Type
     (here comes the code)
End Function

I also read something about creating properties in modules, they are about the same as functions ??...

DaZ
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:50 pm

Ok, I created a main sub and some other modules with some subs. Now... Has someone here bought the developers CD ? Can one of you send me some of the program's source code ? It could help me while creating the server...

Thanks!
DaZ
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:48 pm

We cannot distribute the uplink source code.
At all.

You use a sub when you do not need to return a value.

You use a function when you are returning a value or returning a boolean to indicate success or failure.

If you're returning multiple values you can use a sub, but I tend to return a boolean as well in order to flag failures.
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:07 pm

Allright, I already figured out that about the subs and functions... About the source code, it's distributed on the Uplink Development CD, so why can't you send it ?

DaZ
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Because you're supposed to buy it yourself. It's basic, really.
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:35 pm

Allright, okay... You know, uhm, maybe I can ask that CD for ST. Nicolas too, next to the C++ book. I'd surely be handy... :)

Anyways, I already made quite some class modules, but it's hard to do things like a passive trace. How does Uplink itself do that? I once saw a .con file, with some IP's as content... Probably these were the servers I bounced through. This points out that Uplink can probably do the passive trace in 2 ways:
=> it just checks the logs on first server, then waits a while, checks logs on next, waits a while (...) checks logs, they point to a personal pc, trace ends.
=> uplink knows the IP's of the servers that are bounced through,

DaZ
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:36 pm

Allright, okay... You know, uhm, maybe I can ask that CD for ST. Nicolas too, next to the C++ book. I'd surely be handy... :)

Anyways, I already made quite some class modules, but it's hard to do things like a passive trace. How does Uplink itself do that? I once saw a .con file, with some IP's as content... Probably these were the servers I bounced through. This points out that Uplink can probably do the passive trace in 2 ways:
=> it just checks the logs on first server, then waits a while, checks logs on next, waits a while (...) checks logs, they point to a personal pc, trace ends.
=> uplink knows the IP's of the servers that are bounced through, so if it sees that the logs of one of the ip's is modified, trace is ended, otherwise, it waits a while and then gives the 'you have been captured by federal agents' message.

DaZ
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:46 pm

What's with the whole "St. Nicholas" thing? Christmas/Saturnalia/Whatever, right?

Where you from?

Also, why not just borrow a C++ book from a library?
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:19 pm

Lol
Oookay, one question at a time ;)
Flamekebab wrote:What's with the whole "St. Nicholas" thing? Christmas/Saturnalia/Whatever, right?

St. Nicolas is on 5 december, I thought it was called "st. nicolas" in english, in dutch it is "sinterklaas" which comes from "sint nicolaas".
Before 5 december an old man from Spain comes to Holland, and on 4 december night he climbs on the roofs of all houses with his white horse, gets down through the chimney, reads the present lists, puts down some presents, get the horse presents if they are there, then goes up and goes to the next house. Next morning, children come back and see their presents. A few days later this man goes back to Spain.
Ofcourse, this is only a children story. At around the age of 12 - 15, parents tell their children that its not the man giving them presents, but the parents themselves. It was funny when my parents told my sister that... I sat on my room and heard her loughing out loud!

Flamekebab wrote:Where you from?

From the Netherlands.

Flamekebab wrote:Also, why not just borrow a C++ book from a library?

Ehh... Yeah... Well, there you have a point... Uhm.. Mostly because then I only have the book for 3 weeks. In that time, I can learn C++, but after the time, I don't have a book where I can search up functions and statements etc. And when I get the real C++ book, it's a new one, and that almost always means that I need to get used to a new way of explaining C++. The library mostly has old books, where old is meant relatively, it's not that they are from 1985 or something but they are just ... not the newest versions.

But, anyways, I'll talk to my parents if I can get the C++ book now already, if I don't succeed, I can always try to see what C++ books the library has. It just got a new computer system so that I can look up the catalogus at home.

Cya
Daz
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:27 pm

Can't you just get an inter-library loan?
(like, where your local library borrows a book from another library within the country)

Surely you could just return the book and re-borrow it, or just extend the borrowing time? (I phoned up my local library and extended the time to about two and a half months!)
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:29 pm

Hey uhm

I checked the price for the Uplink developers CD... It's 45 euros... I myself think that that's a bit much, as I'm just gonna copy the source off it, read specific parts, then never use it again...
Am I allowed to ask for specific small parts of the code? And will I also gét it then..?
For example, it would be handy if I knew the program code for the passive trace etcetera...

And as I'm probably not going to buy the CD, I would need someone else to create the client version of Uplink2... Is there someone who wants to help me to do that ?

Bye,
DaZ
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Flamekebab wrote:Can't you just get an inter-library loan?
(like, where your local library borrows a book from another library within the country)

I never heard of those in the Netherlands,... And, next to that, all libraries here use other systems, and a book from another library would get lost in the immense croud of all other books...

Flamekebab wrote:Surely you could just return the book and re-borrow it, or just extend the borrowing time? (I phoned up my local library and extended the time to about two and a half months!)

Yeah, that's possible, you can extend it 2 times, for 3 weeks. By then it'll be St. Nicolas.
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:32 pm

Btw. I just checked the site, they don't have any góód C++ books...

Return to “General”