level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:08 pm

I didn't mean it couldn't be done, I meant "OMFG WAI~!?!?!??!"
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:24 pm

Due to the nature of the language a VB server cannot deliver the performance needed for most server applications. That holds true for Perl, Java, etc. Those languages are just not efficient enough to perform well on anything above a trivial server application. I can write a program to do just about anything in any language if efficiency is not a concern. :)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:30 pm

Erm, I meant "why would you write a server thingy in VB? Just why?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!11!!eleventyoneone!"

I know why VB would be a silly choice, hehe.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:08 pm

I'm agreeing with you. My post was aimed at Deepsmeg. :)
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:43 am

Flamekebab wrote:I didn't mean it couldn't be done, I meant "OMFG WAI~!?!?!??!"

"Wai~" as in, "Wai~! Watashi no ringo wa aoi desu~~!"?

If anyone here understands japanese... That was the first sentence that came into my mind.

Leave me alone.
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:17 pm

Anyways, everyone, ...
I chose VB because it's easy to program in, it's easy to debug, it's easy to modify once you've made a full project.

Let's say it like this. If I succeed in making a full server, then you guys test it (with Telnet or something, I'll give you the protocol) and if it's to your acception, then the team can try to make a test version of Uplink 2.
If there are any comments, tiny to enormous, I'll try to modify the program.
Give me a chance instead of baffing me off because other people failed to did it too, please.

Agreed ?

Thanks,
DaZjorz
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:26 pm

VB is still far less than ideal for a server-based app.

It's better than using the "remote assistance" feature of Windows as some fool wanted to do..
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:58 pm

Any virtually any programming language (aside from assembly code) is easy to maintain if it is coded well to begin with.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:51 pm

What about Brainfuck? :P
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:17 pm

VB is a very easy language. Everyone who never used it shouldn't tell me it's not good and stuff. It's performance is nice, never had any programming problems with it, everything's virtually possible.

Really, VB is not the problem. And, if you guys are keeping this subject because VB is so shitty, i'm going to get a C++ book soon, so I can code it in C++ too when I learned it. (Edit: Or 'convert' the VB code to C++ when you guys are right about VB.)

Now please, back to the old subject. Do you agree to what I said in my previous post? To ensure VB works fine, you can ever massive test the server with 30 at a time to really check if it's really to your performance ideals.

Bye,
DaZjorz
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:38 pm

Apple Basic was my first programming language, and I have coded in VB. I am not bashing VB. I'm just saying it is not a very good choice for coding a server, especially a game server. :)
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:08 pm

Really, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to bash you all off about VB, thanks for your comments, but the only good language I know is Visual Basic. I know Java, VB, PHP, and some other languages... In that row, VB is far the best, fast and most usable (I never saw a PHP server...).

But let's stop about this. It would be best in every way for me to first create the server in VB. After that I can always convert it to C++ when I learned that. In that way I already thought of how to do several things.

But please, let's stop about VB and give me an answer to my proposal, a few posts ago!

Cya
DaZ
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:43 pm

Anyways...
I already started at the design (which is the easiest part, I know...). It's very basic, please report any comments to me. I think I'm gonna make a version that looks like this, and just a normal version with no special layout.
(Note)I don't have the layout in Linux yet, as I've been gaming a lot the past few days, so using the Windows dual-boot OS. When I come at Linux again, I'll work on that probably.(Note)

This is basically what it looks like.
By the way, I got the mouse on the Start button, that's why it's hovered, but you can't see the mouse in screenshots.

Cya
DaZ

Edit: (Update) The server is using port 3560. Just a notice.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:00 pm

I hope you're using the ReleaseCapture and SendMesasge lines on the mousedown events of the container that's holding the close button and the label saying "Uplink 2 server" and the label itself, or however you've done it.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:24 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:Any virtually any programming language (aside from assembly code) is easy to maintain if it is coded well to begin with.

What are you talking about? My assembly code is always easily readable and maintainable... :P
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**

Return to “General”