Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

DaZjorz
level1
level1

Uplink 2

Postby DaZjorz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:09 pm

Heya everyone
I like Uplink a lot, and a little while ago, I saw a few weird servers on it. One of them was the IntroVersion server, with a lot of things about Uplink 2, for it to be an online game and such things. So, I started working on an Uplink2 Server. At this moment I've got the server on paper, but to work it out, I need to know something to get that working.

One is, how does Uplink do the passive trace? Does it create a new thread that tries to get the user by checking the logs on all servers? Or, is it simply "Save what servers the bounce went through with what logs, and if one of the logs is deleted or modified, the trace ends, otherwise, in a little time the game will end"?

Is it okay with IntroVersion that I make an Uplink2 server? I can try to make it, then send you the protocol and if you want the source. The plan is to create it with Visual Basic first (I'm not very good at C++), and after that, create both a graphical and a text-based version of the Linux server with Gambas (Basic for Linux).

Please let me know what you think about the project. I would like to work together with you to create a multiplayer Uplink. The idea of Uplink is fantastic, but the game would get a second dimension with more then one player.

This was the e-mail I sent to Chris yesterday. What do you think about a project for Uplink to become multiplayer?
I can paste some screenshots for the server later, I started working at the lay-out already, but not yet the coding.

Daz
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:22 pm

Oh, for Gods sake, not again!

Do you know how many people have strived to make Uplink Online?
Many.
Do you know how many people have failed making Uplink Online?
Everyone.

Just give it up already, it will never happen.
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Really ? ...

Why did it fail all these times ?

I was already thinking... I can't be the only one thinking of this... Why did they fail ? What went wrong ?

Daz
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:16 pm

Most people do not realise the massive amount of time that it takes to undertake a project like this.

I was involved in an attempted project like this which had a large team of us planning to make the game. It never actually got out of the planning stage, it simply takes too long.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:33 pm

Says it all really.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:51 pm

DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:13 pm

I am sure that there will be a lot of more people that really want an Uplink 2.
Sorry, I didn't know there was that post. I'll stop working on the server.
Maybe IntroVersion is going to make an uplink2 once, after they finished Darwinia.

Anyways, I just wanted to help the team to take a lot of the work. I know that it's very, VERY hard to make a game like Uplink, but the idea is so brilliant that it has to be extended.

If the Introversion team once decides to make an Uplink2 or Uplink Online, I'm sure that there will be millions of people that want to help as much as they CAN help.

I think i'll just do a little stuff with the server when I'm really bored, but maybe, I'm just gonna use the server as it is now, for another project that looks like Uplink but is also a bit different. I've got some programming friends that can help me too with that.

R.I.P Uplink 2.

DaZ
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:17 pm

A major point about Uplink was that it was original and innovative. A sequel goes against that.

What I'm wondering is what The Next Next Game is..
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:56 pm

I don't think a sequal of Uplink wouldn't be original and innovative. Think about Warcraft. After that, there were a few new versions of warcraft. Now new is World of Warcraft, an online version. Think! Think ! What would Uplink 2, World of Uplink or Uplink Online cause! I think that millions of people would want such a multiplayer hacking game! Uplink would get multiple dimensions!

Really, I think Uplink would cause a massive .. uhh... multiplayer ... uhh ... online ... hacking game!

IntroVersion, at least, think seriously about it! As for me, I don't mind working at the Uplink2 server, even if I have to work on it for the rest of the year to get it working completely.
My first plan was that Uplink itself wouldn't be much different for users, except that they can send e-mail and they can interfere with other hackers. Just to see if Uplink 2 itself would be working.
After that, my plan was to expand it to get new functions and such things.

Please, Introversion team and all people that are related to Uplink. Please think about it seriously. I beg you....!

DaZ
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:09 pm

Uplink hacking is too easy. Multiplayer wouldn't work. It'd be like multiplayer UT2004 with one shot kill mod. No skill neccersary.

And if you think you could do it on your own, you are mistaken, unless you have a spare 15 years to work on it...
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:21 pm

Hoooo wait, I never said I could make a whole Uplink on my own. Just the programming of the server, with VB. Can't be 15 years of work.
Changing Uplink into an online version is maybe more work, as you have to change all receiving of data from files to network. And, next to that, I made serverside that all data is in files, so it's easy to create a new server. You can make servers with different niveaus. In-game servers and Uplink servers, I mean.

It is possible. I know it. It's just hard. But, Introversion made Uplink so it can make Uplink 2. Especially when some programmers help them.

DaZ
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:35 pm

In VB?
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:18 pm

It's fully possible to have a client written in one language and a server in another, Mr Kebab..
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:30 pm

True, but who in their right mind would write a server in VB? VB has its uses, but I don't think server applications are among them. :)
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:34 pm

I've done it before...
On a fair few occasions.

Then again, I'm the 1337 VB guru so you'd expect success!

Return to “General”