Uplink 2

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:10 pm

Offer of help retracted.
I only help people who take the effort to reply...
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:51 am

Darkshine wrote:Nobody who has ever attempted it has the conviction or the knowhow to actually achieve it.

Darkshine, I have to agree with you. Now that I'm partway through the second year of a Computing degree at one of the top UK universities, I've come to realise that I really didn't know how to code at all. Certainly not in any structured or maintainable manner. Now I know better, beginning by knowing I know almost nothing.

Wait - did that make sense to anyone but me?

Anyway...

Darkshine wrote:The funniest thing about the whole Uplink 2 holy grail is that it actually isn't that hard. The reason it always fails is because pretty much everybody who attempts it is a kid! And nobody who has ever attempted it has had any degree of commitment!

I was committed when I began the project myself. We had plenty of ideas and quite a few people. I/we just had no idea how to go about desiging and writing anything that big. I definitely had no concept of OO programming. Now I don't see how I managed without it for anything more complex than "Hello World" :P

Uplink wouldn't have got anywhere without Imperial and the magic of OO languages.

Just my £0.02.
phyreskull
(Dave Ingram)

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videteur!
An Uplink DevCD Owner, and proud!
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:56 pm

For those in the US, Imperial College London is a hole, where people who want to study IT but can't get into York go.

Girls are easy though. :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:57 pm

Sexist! Quick, ban him!

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Well, the guys at ICL might be easy too, but I'd have to take your word on that. :P

(Homophobic! Quick, ban me!) :wink:
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:46 pm

doormat wrote:For those in the US, Imperial College London is a hole, where people who want to study IT but can't get into York go.

I almost* challenge you to a duel to the death - Imperial's better than York :P

doormat wrote:Girls are easy though. :lol:

:shock: Girls? At Imperial? You've got to be kidding. 70:30 male:female, and that's the entire uni. In my Computing year, there are 4 girls out of a class of 100, and our year was a good year. I don't think there are any in the year below. Can't comment on the fictional girls being easy or not though, as I'm not single and haven't been for the past two and a bit years :P

* Got up at 5am today, did a lot of physical labour, just got back at 7:45pm. Very tired. Therefore "almost".
phyreskull

(Dave Ingram)

doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:05 pm

Hey, all I'm saying is, three ICL girls visted York on some academic thing while I was there, they were in the bar every night, and not one of them slept in the accomodation we set up for them the whole time. :lol:
phyreskull
level3
level3

Postby phyreskull » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:02 pm

Heh - then you've met the sort that the guys at Imperial dream of. I guess it's just a case of "the odds are good, but the goods are odd". Except in my case, of course ;) But then again, my significant other is an English student at Holloway, which has almost the opposite ratio...
phyreskull

(Dave Ingram)

Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:33 am

doormat wrote:Hey, all I'm saying is, three ICL girls visted York on some academic thing while I was there, they were in the bar every night, and not one of them slept in the accomodation we set up for them the whole time. :lol:

Ah, you have a lovely view on things, really :P

DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi guys,

The reply was a bit late - but I need to get you back on the right topic path ;)

I finally found a way to get around the processes problem. I'm working on the project again.

I've established a Beta Test team, they will try to test the server with every update I make.

I'll update you again soon - when there are any processes going on.

DAZ
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:54 pm

I've established a "league-of-justice" team!

Together we will fight evil while garbed in technicolor tights!

Yes we will!!
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:18 pm

Can i be in this leet squado?

Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:01 pm

If only you replied a month ago. Then I'd have helped you some more...
DaZjorz
level1
level1

Postby DaZjorz » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:11 pm

Help with what, exactly - and help tó what?
If you mean help with any problems - I may need your help for a luxery item of the server: MySQL. I've been searching on the internet a lot - lots of people are using libmysql.dll for this, or LibMyWitch, but I can't find libmysql.dll and LibMyWitch needs a PHP script to work (and, next to that, it's an OCX, and I want to bring the use of those to a minimum).
If you can find some way to access a MySQL server, access a database, execute queries, get data from SELECT queries, etc, then please tell me.
At this moment, all check functions send back TRUE and all get-information functions send back some constant value, as I can't get the MySQL thing, and I'm too lazy to create all server files.

Though, there are a lot of things working at this moment, I'm currently creating the programs (VoiceAnalyser, TraceTracker, Bypassers,...).

Anyone with (valuable or not) ideas, please post those here - they'll probably be inserted too.

Just a note: At the first version, the only thing different with the real game is that people can send mail to each other - people won't be able to actually hack into other people's gateways, etc.

DaZ
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:13 pm

You're having problems figuring out how to access a database? That really inspires confidence. Did you ever think to check the mySQL website? http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

Return to “General”