Question to the Uplink experts

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stormbinder
level0

Question to the Uplink experts

Postby Stormbinder » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:16 am

Greetings.

I've finally decided to play this game that was siting on my shelf for a while, and I am very impressed so far. Very original idea and implementation. (I am sr. software engineer in RL, so the subject of the game is close to my heart >:) ). I've just started to scratch the surface of the game (raised few levels as an Agent so far), and I have a question for forum veterans:

Would you advice me to use any of the mods (developers mods or others) in my first game of Uplink? Or would you suggest wait until I finish the main gaim before starting playing with mods?

I've played number of "modable" games over the years, and in my experience the "mods" thing could easely go either way, depending on the nature of mods. I wouldn't want anyuthing that would make the game easer for me (cheats, uber software/hardware. etc.), or that would significantly distract/deminish from the main storyline of the game, not on my first try at least. So what would be your advice?

(For example - I've noticed that FBI mod. Should I use from the start, or wait until I finish the main game, or not use it at all?)

Any suggestions and comments on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Stormbinder
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:28 am

I'd say, definitely make sure you have the latest patch, version 1.31 (PCs, I don't know about Mac).

Play the game first, then try the mods.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:15 am

Note that some versions of Uplink available for Strategy First and trygames are incompatible with mods.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:36 am

Waiting until you finish the game before you try mods might not be such a good idea. You can't technically "finish" Uplink unless you are disavowed. :)

But, yeah, I recommend playing through the storyline without mods first.
.what.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:52 am

Well, you can finish the game, it just depends on certain decisions you make...
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Mr. Roboto
level4
level4

Postby Mr. Roboto » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:35 pm

When I started playing games like Quake I always played through to the end without mods, just to see if it was worth keeping. Then I played the mods to see if it made things more interesting.

Try it with Uplink. Just make sure it's the real thing from Introversion, and that it's pached to v1.31. 8)

Return to “General”