Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

doormat
level4
level4

PSP - A gift to small developers?

Postby doormat » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:36 pm

I just bought one.

I promised myself that I wouldn't, but... hey, I'm a man. I have no self-control.

Anyhow...

The PSP can run software from two diffrent forms of media: the UMD is the main one. It is used by EA and people to make big, noisy games with sound-clips and FMV.

The other on is the memory card: that is, it can run programs uploaded from a pc via USB. At the moment, used exclusively by the homebrew community, who spend most of their time trying to fight the man and get around the fact that their code isn't signed.

But forgive me if I'm wrong: why can't a developer get the code signed, without publishing on UMD? There's a huge gap in the market for simple games on the PSP (Ridge Racer is cool, but to deep for a bus trip: I know I wish I had tetris, and didn't have to change UMD's all the time...) and the systems seems to be quite easy to write for, considering how quickly the homebrew community is working without dev-kits.

The signing would be a cost, but as much as I hate it, it would ensure a captive market. The device has huge market penitration, and offering a game for download would have very low distribution costs. Sure, you might get some piracy, but thats the software business. Might even want to look at getting some funding via advertising... let it spread, make free games on commision- you know, guide the Sheep and the Dog around Woolworths and things. As long as the game was good, it would spread.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I just thought that a device this widespread and of-the-moment being so easy to write for and so easy to distibute on the net for, and the perfect form factor for simple, low-investment puzzle games... a good thing, yes?

Yessss???
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:41 pm

I bought one on release day too.

Can't say I'm interested in small games, I have Lumines, which can be played for short times.

What I do want to see is Ogg Vorbis software!
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

I'm holding onto my money until consoles come out.

I'm a nintendo fan at heart, so I'll be getting a Revolution, then possibly the 360.

I will not be getting a PSP or PS3.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:26 pm

Yeah, I kinda agree with you... I don't like sony consoles much. But the new PS3 is supposed to be more powerful than the XB360, and you can't argue with that kind of market penitration. If it has a hard drive, I may be forced to buy one.

But the point I was making is that an entire distribution avenue on the PSP doesn't seem to have been used yet...
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:52 pm

Meh. They're all too expensive. I wont be buying a console, hand held or otherwise, until I win the lottery.
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:15 pm

doormat wrote:Yeah, I kinda agree with you... I don't like sony consoles much. But the new PS3 is supposed to be more powerful than the XB360, and you can't argue with that kind of market penitration. If it has a hard drive, I may be forced to buy one.

Three general-purpose processors versus one general-purpose processor coupled with 8 specialized processors?

Honestly, I think the Xbox360 would handle practical applications much more efficiently than the PS3 because of that little issue. The PS3 (and the PS2 before it) did very well on benchmarks, but that doesn't say a lot for its actual gaming performance.

The Xbox360 does have one major strike against it -- the hard drive is no longer a feature that developers can count on having. You know all of that caching that games did to speed up load times? Gone. That was a stupid, STUPID idea on Microsoft's part.
.what.

Return to “General”