Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Calimar
level1
level1

Bumping old topics - a humble opinion.

Postby Calimar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:31 am

Hello all.

I've been roaming these forums for a week or so now, since I (finally) got my full copy of uplink. I should start by saying that it is not me that runs this forum so I'm just expressing my personal opinion, or if you prefer offering some positive criticism.

I understand that the policy here is "don't bump old topic", and so I found myself checking dates on topics before posting. There's pretty little movement these times though, at the point that I haven't found many "new" topics. Instead, I find lots of old topics that I would've liked to add my .02 to - but didn't.

I think - and correct me if I'm wrong - that if a topic is really dead, bumping it up won't make it alive again, it'll just be one more post in it. On the other hand, if a contribution to it spawns more answers, then it's a live topic - and the fact that no one of the people that *were* there at the time it was interested in answering doesn't mean it's finished.

If this were a forum with thousands of posts a day, I'd understand the policy - and it probably was needed in the "good old days"... but is it, now? The cyberpunk theme and community here can provide great entertainment, insight and food for thought for many... yet I feel we're a bit strangled.

Is it just my impression? What do you all think?
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:45 am

Generally, if topic hasn't been posted in for more than a month, nobody cares about it anymore.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:01 am

Agreed, but there have been posts of 1-2-3 months ago that someone posted on that I would've replied to.... if they weren't flamed for doing it :p
New people keep registering so some topics might just pop back in and be interesting - new people means new ideas.

In the meanwhile I've gone through old stuff and seen people bumping up years old topics to say "yeah, I agree" - so I kind of get the ratio behind this... but still. Roboto's "Neuromancer Rating rant" comes to mind as one topic that has potential to still be interesting. Of course, it's my opinion.

EDIT: In my 10+ years of roaming the 'net, it's also the first time I see such a rule enforced, which is what makes me think.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:42 am

It's not bumping old topics we object to, it's bumping old topics for no reason, especially dragging up things that are no longer an issue, or replying to someone who hasn't read the forums for a year.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:00 pm

Generally it's like there's someone who's asked a question on one of the forums and then some random idiot has come along many months or even years later and added something like advice or "Yes."

This is annoying as the advice will be useless as whoever asked is long gone. Furthermore, often the advice is already here, in the FAQ or similar.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:13 pm

Personally, I think that if someone bumps a discussion that was interesting and brings in some fresh insight that will allow the discussion to be restarted due to the new information/new angle, then it is a good thing.

If someone bumps an older topic where someone asked for help and noone has any idea, and a solution is provided that may serve to later help other people with the problem, it is also acceptable.

Anyone bumping old topics tosay "Yes", "No", "I agree", "LOL", etc, should be shot.
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:17 pm

Darksun, Flamekebab: I get your point - and agree. Pretty useless and stupid.

But StKenjutsushi (or whatever his name is) got "reprimanded" for adding some of his own (and I personally think it wasn't null-content) to an old topic (Roboto's rant: Neuromancer Rating) - to which I would also have some to contribute. It's about the cyberpunk subculture, and there's much to be said still.... Maybe no one cares - in that case, I guess it'll be ignored.

Should I post, should I not? (why can't I find the rules? :/) After all, I find it much more interesting than the 20 thousand "help I can't hack a bank" topics...

I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt here - just trying to understand how you run & participate in this forum.
Different place different rules, right?
FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:15 pm

There's nothing wrong (In my opinion anyway) with bumping an old topic to say something constructive or useful. Oh, and if you're gonna add something to that rant, you're better off doing it now before it sinks inexorably back down to the depths of the forum. :P

And on an unrelated note, it's not a proper day until you've said "inexorably." :D
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 pm

I like to say "quark" :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:35 am

There is little point answering someones question after 3 months, since by then they will have either figured it out for themselves or given up. There is especially no point since just about every question they could ask has already been answered somewhere on this forum.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Calimar
level1
level1

Postby Calimar » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:43 am

Personally, I like the sound of "doomed". You can't go home happy if you didn't say doomed at least a couple times.

So, I'm gonna go and post on that rant - all of you are warned ;) - before it's doomed to oblivion.

ReflectingGod: I seriously doubt that every possible question has been posted. But if it were true, then half the purpose of this forum would be gone... I agree that it's pretty pointless to answer questions after 3-6 months (or more). But from this to medieval "everything that has to be said has already been said"... well :p
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:53 am

Well, this game, and these forums, and quite a few of us regulars here, have been around for over three years now. Just about any problem that anyone has with the game these days has been had by someone else before. There are always exceptions to the rule, but in general there are no new bugs being found, and no new problems being encountered.
ME!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
ScareyedHawk
level5
level5

Postby ScareyedHawk » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:41 pm

And absolutely no new easter eggs being found. Do not forget that part.

Return to “General”