Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Babylon5
level5
level5

Trillian

Postby Babylon5 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:57 pm

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/downloads/

Trillian is a smashing little tool that lets you talk to people that have MSN if you have mIRC etc.

Everybody probably already has this, but I thought I should point this out, just in case.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Disco Stuie_uplink
level3
level3

Postby Disco Stuie_uplink » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:10 pm

Actually, no.

Trillian simply acts as one program allowing you to access the MSN, ICQ, AIM, Y!, and IRC chat networks, simultaneously; you can open one program rather than 5 standalones.

I am not suggesting that others here haven't heard of it, simply that your description was a little inaccurate :P

And, while cross-protocol messengers are being discussed, GAIM is far, far better than Trillian in my opinion. It is open-source, and, while still not as fully featured as MSN, or Trillian Pro, you get plenty enough so long as you don't want a webcam or poxy little games via the chat program. It is not buggy in my experience, but as a program still in the 1.x.x phase, crashing is not unknown :D

What makes up for this is that it looks far nicer than Trillian, is ultimately more customiseable, and you don't have to pay to upgrade in order to get features like skins etc that you do with Trillian. It also starts up and runs faster (on the whole) than MSN or trillian do when accessing the MSN chat network.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Bitlbee!
Disco Stuie_uplink
level3
level3

Postby Disco Stuie_uplink » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:44 pm

I prefer gaim :D

Return to “General”