More London explosions

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:09 pm

Actually, the police are maintaining a shoot to kill policy on all suspected suicide bombers, and they said it most likely will happen again.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:17 pm

Sort of a judge jury and executioner thing then. . . guilty until proven innocent (at which point your dead anyway).

At least police officers should be more hesitant to shoot now.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:53 am

doormat wrote:He could have been running because he hadn't paid for his ticket,
He was chased into the station.

he could have been running because he didn't understand them,
How would a policeman know that? How would you expect them to afford to hesitate over this consideration? If they hesitate, hundreds could die. If not, it's just him.
Imagine this: "Multiple police and innocents killed by suicide bomber at Tube station: The suspect was believed to disobeyed police instructions and was given enough time to detonate himself". So much better to hear, isn't it?

he could have been running because he didn't believe them...
Because being chased into a public area and then being mugged by multiple armed people is a likely occurance.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:01 am

They had him stopped and could have easily cleared the train, but they didn't. He made no threatening moves (like he was trying to detinate a bomb), so there was no immediate threat. The problem is that he did not present any threat. The police officers simply suspected he might be a bomber, but had no real justification for that suspicion. The situation did not call for deadly force. It appears that deadly force was the first option for these officers not the last.

And if you ask me I would much rather a bomb go off in a situation like this than for an innocent man to be killed by those who are supposed to be protecting him. Incidents like this undermine the whole justice process and the whole idea of democracy freedoms.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:02 am

It may seem an odd point of view, but I tend to agree with Stews, that in some ways it's better to let the bomb go off than for the police to risk killing an innocent person.

And it's easy enough to agree with the actions of the police when you're disconnected from the situation. If your brother/sister/whoever was shot by the police as a suspected suicide bomber, would you sit back and say 'Yes, it's much better he died than risk innocent people being blown up'. Somehow, I don't think so.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:13 pm

You mean it would take emotional anguish to disagree with their actions? That's impressive.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:21 pm

Given that none of is emotionally tied to the victim, no.

I actually think accepting the shoot to kill policy is more of an emotional reaction than anything else. This is the sort of thing that happens when people become scared of terrorists. The UK is supposed to be a beacon of freedom, yet now it is apparently ok for innocents to be shot dead by police on simple suspicion. Why allow terrorists to push the nation away from freedom?
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:08 pm

Yeah, it's worrying. But I take heart from the fact that the media are all over the police about this, wheras in some other parts of the world it probably wouldn't make the local news.

And we don't yet have a prison on foreign soil where we can imprison people and deny them the freedoms we make such a big thing about granting on our soil.

In other news, I saw a load of police today (two of them were ARUs). They were all over the Goucester Road area of Bristol. Not a terrorist bomb: City Vs Rovers at the Memorial Ground tonight. :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:50 pm

Actually the US isn't too big on freedoms on US soil these days either. . . :?
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:40 am

Well if we are lucky the assholes that did this copycat rubbish will have a lovely time in prison. I can only imagine the "fun" they'll have during their short stay before they need a pine suit fitted.

Or perhaps if they kill an officer on duty, they'll be goin to pine oil heaven! Killing an sworn in officer of the law in America results in death by the gas chamber which releases gas that smells like pine oil... hope the UK has the same policy for Jihad's on a mission to kill innocents.
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:56 am

Actually the UK doesn't have the death penalty and there is no standard penalty for killing a police officer in the US. What does killing a police officer have to do with anything anyway?
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:57 am

That's incorrect Stews, Britian does have the death penalty, but only for two crimes- treason and piracy.
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:03 pm

But the rest of Europe whined and we gave in and gave it up.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:17 pm

The death penalty for Treason and Piracy were abolished in 1998 to conform to EU policy (or as Deepsmeg put it, because Europe whined)

See http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.c ... eline.html
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:22 pm

Oh well. My mistake.

*puts on eyepatch*
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God

Return to “General”