level2

Postby ruhoward » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:54 pm

i just hope that canada is not their next target
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:00 pm

ruhoward wrote:your country shouldn't have messed with the middle east

Not everyone supports a choice government makes. Not everyone agrees with the Iraq War. And while it no doubt contributed to some of the terrorism Britain's getting, the people who get hurt are just innocent bystanders, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While both side have commited their share of atrocities that's no excuse to kill innocent people.
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:08 pm

i was blaming blair when terrorists bombed london last time but someone said "we, UK civiliants are tied to our government..."
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:19 pm

While Blair has taken actions that have more than likely increased the threat the UK faces from terrorism, it is a far too shortsighted to simply blame him. There were terrorist attacks in London before Blair and there will be terrorist attacks after Blair.
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:23 pm

That's amazing- people are allowed to be killed because they hope that their government can stop people getting killed.

Tied to the goverment- how exactly? By being citizens, by being vigilant and perhaps little patriotic in light of everything that happened- but that still doesn't mean that everybody supported the recent wars.

Seriously, do you really believe that anybody deserves to be killed? That they deserve to be blown up? That they deserve to step on a bus and just die?
Last edited by the.web.hermit on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:23 pm

If it's not idiotic copy cats, it's probably this "defiance" crap that people are talking about. Red flag to a raging bull.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:41 pm

Or "Fathers 4 Justice" doing their thing again...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:02 pm

Ah, they must be trying their Doctor Doom routine in response to the release of Fantastic Four.
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:01 am

fortunately nobody got killed this time...
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:53 am

Man shot dead by police, more soon.
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Apparently that guy had no connection to the bombings. He now appears to be an innocent casualty. . . Its a bit sad when the police investigation into the bombing kills more than the bombs themself. . . This is exactly the sort of thing that really scares me, overreaction by the government to the threat of terrorism.

I must say I am less and less impressed with the responce to the bombings. After the first set of bombs went off the police made various statements about that them only to later admit they were completely wrong. First the bombs were crude then they were highly sophisticated military grade explosives. First the bombs were detinated withing 30 minutes of each other, then they were nearly simulateous. Now this man who apparently had no connection to the bombing is shot dead. It all reflects very poorly on those involved in these investigations.

I have always had the highest reguard for the British police, but now at a time where they are needed more than ever there seems to be some sort of break down. Hopefully this will all be corrected in the near future.
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:11 pm

You have sympathy for someone who acted susupiciously enough to draw police attention, then lgged it?

That guy was being stupid. The minute he decided to antagonise the police at a time of heightened alert he decided to put his life in jeopardy.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:21 pm

From what I have heard the police were undercover. I do have sympathy for a guy running from a gun wielding gang. If I was being followed by a group of people I would do exactly what he did, run to subway where I knew other people would be. It also appears the victim may have been visiting the UK from Brazil, which would mean his English might not be so good and thus he might have simply not understood whatever the police said to him (if they said anything at all).

Now, the full account of the incident hasn't come out yet, but deadly force is something to be used only in extreme situations. From what I have seen thus far, it doesn't seem like the situation qualified as extreme.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:27 pm

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:From what I have heard the police were undercover. I do have sympathy for a guy running from a gun wielding gang.
Gun wielding gangers have Police ID badges now?

Return to “General”