More London explosions

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:35 pm

Hell even I have a police badge (a fake one obviously) and if they were chasing him, he may not have seen the badges (if the police officers even displayed them).
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:36 pm

If a bunch of guys are pointing guns at you, do you check to see if they're holding an ID badge up aswell?
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Man on the street: Lie down on the floor!
Me: I beg your pardon?
Man on the street: LIE DOWN ON THE FLOOR NOW!
Me: Fuck off.

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

*Sadly, doormat failed to obey instructions from an armed plain-clothes police officer and was shot in the head five times at point blank range. But that's OK, because we were fighting terror!.(TM)*

Sweet Jesus. Since when was there any such thing as a "plain clothes" armed police officer in england anyway? Since when was "failing to obey instructions" a clear and present danger to life? Since when did it take 5 shots to the head to disable someone?

This frightens me more than any bomb could, because it shakes my confidence in the forces that are supposed to be protecting us.

("Fighting Terror" and all associated justifications, including "national securty" and "cost of freedom" are copyright 2001 The Bush Administration. Used under licence.)
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:13 pm

This is another war between human. One side flies high-tech bombers to blast "suspicious" buildings while the other side carries bombs with them in bags to blow up subways.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:43 pm

Since when was "failing to obey instructions" a clear and present danger to life? Since when did it take 5 shots to the head to disable someone?

He was wearing stuff you'd never wear in the summer, and this was presumed to be to hide a bomb belt. One witness said: "I saw these police officers in uniform and out of uniform shouting 'get down, get down', and I saw this guy who appeared to have a bomb belt and wires coming out and people were panicking and I heard two shots being fired."

He was executed such that he couldn't detonate the bomb that was believed to be on his person. How the hell do you propose to apprehend a guy with a bomb strapped to his person?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:00 pm

Well it turned out he had nothing resembling a "bomb belt" and they just shot him when he tripped. The people chasing him were said to be plain clothes police officers although I am sure uniformed officers arrived later. It is a bit cool in London at the present (~20 degrees C). Brazil by comparision is currently around 27 degrees C. So wearing a jacket doesn't seem that unusual. However I routinely wear shorts here in New York in the winter, maybe that is a suitable reason for the NYPD to shoot me. . .
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:02 pm

Yes, just as soon as they make stealth bombs that you wear instead of clothes to keep you warm at winter...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:07 pm

I'm just saying it sounds a bit silly to say that because he had a jacket on in the summer means he must be a terrorist. It is certainly something that should be noticed, but they obviously made a huge mistake here, one that cannot be corrected. If you are going to kill someone, you need more than a hunch or a suspicion.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:18 pm

The part where someone ran off from the Oval means nothing to you, right?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:22 pm

No, not really. So now if someone runs they must be a terrorist?
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:26 pm

If he wasn't a terrorist, then he must be an idiot to run away under that situation.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:32 pm

He is if he's the only one reported to do so.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:35 pm

ruhoward wrote:If he wasn't a terrorist, then he must be an idiot to run away under that situation.

What situation? You mean the one where the group of guys is chasing you? The problem is it doesn't appear that he neccessarily knew they were police or that they though he was a bomber. Like I have said, I think almost everyone would run in a situation where strange men were following/chasing them.

There is actually a similar story where a guy working for the Lord of the Rings was in London and had with him an iPod with all the effects scenes for one of the movies with him. He noticed two guys following him. He started walking faster, they walked faster. Then he broke into a run. He sprinted several blocks to the building where the production was setup and escaped inside. The guys chasing him were just normal thugs who were going to mug him. Had he not run he would have lost all those scenes. Was he wrong to do that? Running from strange men is generally the right thing to do.

Mas Tnega wrote:He is if he's the only one reported to do so.

Yeah, I'm sure he was the only one in London running at the time. . . Does this not sound incredibly stupid to you?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:37 pm

If they're armed, it's not worth risking it.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:40 pm

Most criminals wouldn't kill someone in a tube station in front of all those witnesses. It seems to me he felt he could escape into the security of the crowd at the station, which is perfectly logical. You only really run a risk of being shot by a criminal if you allow yourself to become isolated. Criminals rarely kill in the open (where he was). He was not cornered or isolated so he made a run for it (which would generally be the smart thing to do in a situation like that).

Return to “General”