Why the hell does almost every thread do this..?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Why the hell does almost every thread do this..?

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:42 am

I've noticed a trend while browsing through some of the older topics on this forum, and it's this: just about every one is full of pointless flaming. What does it solve?

I mean sure, if someone comes in and asks a question and writes it like this "H0w Ð0 1 h4(|{ 1n70 4 b4n|{???." By all means FLAME ON!
But some of you just look at this as your own personal bitch site...
If you can comprehend the question/statement/whatever, just answer it. If not fuck it, leave it alone...

You people who have been here for a while constantly tell the newbies (or n00bs) to use the search function, however most of the people who ask the questions get flamed about their spelling and grammar, AND to your defense, the person asking then flames back. Thus creating another USELESS THREAD!

and as for the stickies... i have a real beef with the hints and tips one. For crying out loud, rewrite it so it's not so repetitive and long, not to mention filled with edits and additions... maybe if it was easier to read the "n00bs" wouldn't be taking up your "precious" time with their entry grade questions. And even if they still do, it dosn't take a large flame post to say "Please read the FAQ stickie," does it?

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here, .I just feel that it's a bit sad that someone must feel that they must type a question/response/comment up in msword (or whatever) and run spelling and grammar checks, in order to get a civil response.
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:51 am

Look, I'm not trying to start anything here, .I just feel that it's a bit sad that someone must feel that they must type a question/response/comment up in msword (or whatever) and run spelling and grammar checks, in order to get a civil response.

Learn to use punctuation!

It's Microsoft Word, not msword!

Learn to capitalise!
Luigi for mod in 2006!
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:54 am

As you can see, Luigi300 proved my point exactly.

Fine, for those who cannot manage to figure it out for them selves, I mean Microsoft Word.

Jesus Christ, watch out man, there's an extra period in that quote also!!!
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:07 am

Actually I haven't seen much flaming recently. Pointing out that someone should use something resembling a known language when posting is not flaming. Also many of the discussions here are not as serious as they might appear to people less familiar with the community. :)
ruhoward
level2
level2

Postby ruhoward » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:27 am

calm down, i found most of the people here rather friendly.
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:08 am

Do you know what pisses me off? Someone who has been a member for less than a week suddenly thinking he has the right to tell those of us who have been active members of this forum for over three years how we should post.

My suggestion: if you don't like the way things are done around here, no-one's forcing you to visit, so don't.
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
beno
level3
level3

Postby beno » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:52 pm

ReflectingGod, that's exactly why he has the right to say it. Not being a long time visitor makes him more impartial. Take a hint from people without the arrogant and elitist attitude.
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:06 pm

I'm not elitist! I just smell like ass!
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:09 pm

Actually no he doesn't beno, as was linked in another poll here, a little website says it perfectly.

http://sw.deri.org/~matteo/welcome.php
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
N0ught
level3
level3

I agree.

Postby N0ught » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:25 pm

I totally agree with D3adKl0wn.

Also many of the discussions here are not as serious as they might appear to people less familiar with the community.

Do you know what pisses me off? Someone who has been a member for less than a week suddenly thinking he has the right to tell those of us who have been active members of this forum for over three years how we should post.

That is because what you have here is a clique. You are all oblivious to the fact you are being complete asses because EVERYONE is doing it. Lots of wrongs don't make a right, guys. I find this attitude all over the net, and I must say I am amazed at the ability of large amounts of pathetic people to THINK EXACTLY ALIKE, and still be wrong.

We cannot help the fact that you are so devoid of a life that you have nothing better to do than flame newbies. We CAN point it out, however.

Actually no he doesn't beno, as was linked in another poll here, a little website says it perfectly.

http://sw.deri.org/~matteo/welcome.php

The guy who wrote that was also an ass. So you are defending your attitude with one editorial written by a bigger windbag than my grandpappy's bagpipes? Dude try thinking for yourself, or at least find better rolemodels.

I think I will just quote myself in saying:

If you are going to complain about HOW someone posts instead of answering their questions, then YOU ARE A COMPLETE JACKASS.

Period.

For most of my thoughts on this subject, read this thread:

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/uplink ... hp?t=34485

BTW: Making a poll here about such a subject is pointless, as most of the offending parties are the ones who vote. They will be able to defend their point of view to the hilt, based on this poll, since all of their votes will go against it.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:37 pm

I don't think anyone would deny that there is a clique here. Some people have been here for 3+ years and it is only natural that a certain sense of community will be formed. I will also be the first to admit that some members are far harsher than I would like, however they are generally not harsh without reason. When new members come in with no idea what this community is and insult those who are here, they will be told that they are being an ass. If someone posts in AOLese or some other unintelligible babble and demand a response then they will be told to make a proper post if they want a response. These things are entirely proper in that they are essential as this is a highly un-moderated forum. Therefore it is the members as a whole that have to keep behavior in check.

I am always amused at how idiots always resort to the "you must have no life" insults. I guess when you don't have a clue what you are talking about making such accusations without any knowledge of who you are insulting seems entirely proper.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:17 pm

We cannot help the fact that you are so devoid of a life that you have nothing better to do than flame newbies. We CAN point it out, however.

Hypocracy meter rising... rising... :P
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
N0ught
level3
level3

Postby N0ught » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:19 pm

I am always amused at how idiots always resort to the "you must have no life" insults. I guess when you don't have a clue what you are talking about making such accusations without any knowledge of who you are insulting seems entirely proper.

I just assumed. I know plenty well what it is like to not have a life.

After all, I am 25 and disabled, and live in a town of 1200 people. :wink:

And I am still learning the finer points of the game. But I would at least try to HELP newbies, instead of deriding them for asking legitimate questions they couldn't possibly know have been asked a million times.

If someone is being rude or using leet speak, yeah tell them to shape up or ship out. Hell, tell them you will answer their question if they type it out properly. But be nice about it. At least TRY to maintain some integrity for the community, if you don't want it to stagnate.

If you have a problem answering the same questions over and over, then don't try to help. If you can't help but insult a new member of the community because he asks how to use the trace tracker, then button your lip. Go learn to play chess and develop some patience and respect.

The problem is, lots of people find an "online community" and instead of using it for the purposes it was intended for (educating the Uplink community, in this case), they use it as an outlet for refueling their ego. They poke fun at someone, and one of their buddies gives them a pat on the back for it, because he just did the exact same thing five minutes ago.

This kind of behavior should have been left on the schoolyard, people. Children are cruel. Are you a child? No? Then grow up and find another vent for your angst.

Quote:

Hypocracy meter rising... rising...

I was not addressing the newbies. I was addressing the people who are supposedly the backbone of this community: the veterans. My point was that if you are so bored you can't help but sit there waiting to troll newbies for "common questions that beget verbal chastisement", then you need to go for a walk, take up fishing, or do something else to get your head straight.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:37 pm

N0ught wrote:And I am still learning the finer points of the game. But I would at least try to HELP newbies, instead of deriding them for asking legitimate questions they couldn't possibly know have been asked a million times.

If you post your questions in a decent manner in the Hints and Tips forum you will get very prompt and helpful answers.

The problem is, lots of people find an "online community" and instead of using it for the purposes it was intended for (educating the Uplink community, in this case), they use it as an outlet for refueling their ego. They poke fun at someone, and one of their buddies gives them a pat on the back for it, because he just did the exact same thing five minutes ago.

Most people who post here regularly haven't played the game for years. We don't stick around just to help people out. We stick around because there are people here we like talking with. Despite what you may think, answering questions is not all that fun. Uplink has been out for 3+ years and the number of new players is rather low. This means that if those who are here for the social aspect were no here, the forums would be virtually dead and no one would be here to help new players. Therefore the social aspect of these forums is what keeps knowledgeable people here that can help new players. However there is no requirement that the Veterans help others out. The Vets that help people out do so of their own accord. When people come in and forget this, it is rather annoying.

I have personally answered thousands of questions on this forum. And I don't feel I need to have a new member with no experience with me or this forum insult me. If you have comments then make them in a civil and respectful manner. Going around insulting people _is_ rather childish, and there is no need for _us_ to have to need to hear _you_ vent _your_ angst.

I was not addressing the newbies. I was addressing the people who are supposedly the backbone of this community: the veterans. My point was that if you are so bored you can't help but sit there waiting to troll newbies for "common questions that beget verbal chastisement", then you need to go for a walk, take up fishing, or do something else to get your head straight.

I believe what he was talking about was that you are saying Vets have no reason to insult or berate new members for posting poorly, yet apparently feel that new members have the right to insult and berate Vets. It is a rather hypocritical argument.
D3adKl0wn
level2
level2

Postby D3adKl0wn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:22 pm

ReflectingGod wrote:Do you know what pisses me off? Someone who has been a member for less than a week suddenly thinking he has the right to tell those of us who have been active members of this forum for over three years how we should post.

My suggestion: if you don't like the way things are done around here, no-one's forcing you to visit, so don't.

So, are we to believe that upon your initial visit to this forum, you would have been pleased with someone, not only totally disregarding your question/comment? How about asking a question or posting a comment, and then seeing that the only purpose of their reply was to say that "this is spelled wrong," or to say more about your typing skills and grammar than the actual problem? Or maybe you're just gifted and never needed to ask a question at all...

My purpose in posting this thread was not to tell you how to run things, it was an attempt to give you guys a bit of another person's point of vew.

I must also say that it took less than 24hrs for there to be posts in here, that are already shaping up to be nothing more than bullsh!t flames.

N0ught wrote:Making a poll here about such a subject is pointless

I know, now

Beno wrote:ReflectingGod, that's exactly why he has the right to say it. Not being a long time visitor makes him more impartial. Take a hint from people without the arrogant and elitist attitude.

I see someone has the right attitude about this...

Rkiver wrote:Actually no he doesn't beno, as was linked in another poll here, a little website says it perfectly.

This website you mention just aids in the creation of nothing but even more bullsh!t.

Whatever guys... All I'm saying is that the treatment of the n00bs on this forum is BY FAR the worse I've seen. And considering that certain people here don't want to help anyone with less than perfect grammar and spelling (the friggin' people who type like this "H3LP m3H!!!" are fair game though), why not just get the sections most visited by new users closed to them. Maybe have a new section put in, where the n00bs can audition for all of you. You could rate their typing and stuff before you actually grant them access to the rest of the forum...

Return to “General”