Terror!

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Commanche wrote:::MY PERSONAL OPINION::

I think Al queada set up bombs in the Leading bids citys. They just hurd the reasults and bang, they stuck the winner, LONDON! Its the thinking of terrorists.
ABOUT 50 PEROPLE HAVE DIED AND 700+ HAS BEEN INJURED

That's retarded. I'm sure if they had bombs all ready to go in New York, Madrid etc. they wouldn't go 'hey, they didn't win, no need'. That would be fucking retarded even for a psychopathic terrorist. They aim to kill as many as possible. You don't do that by getting loads of attacks set up and then not doing them. Why risk getting captured or killed by police, intelligence etc. if there's only a 1/5 chance you're going to do something. That makes absolutely no sense. G8 is much more reasonable as a factor. Or maybe it was just London's 'turn' as it were.
Commanche
level1
level1

Postby Commanche » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:28 pm

Yes but we and they knew the date of when the olympic bid for ages now. As i said it was my opinion no 1 had to respond to it!
Commanche
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 pm

If you give an opinion here, you can bet it will get a response. After all that is how discussions tend to go. :)
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Commanche wrote:Yes but we and they knew the date of when the olympic bid for ages now.
Britain only had a reasonable chance of winning the olympics in the last three months. Before then, we were gonna losse. Three months is not a long time for an op this size. The G8 date has been known for far longer than that, much more likely to attack for that.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:16 pm

Yeah, Paris was the heavy favorite to get the Olympics. While London put up a very strong bid, it was still quite a surprise they got it.
Weeman
level2
level2

Postby Weeman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:49 pm

Bad can never be a good thing.

quote me if you want to :P
I thought of it while reading this topic :P

I want to say hope everyone is ok but we already know that everybody isnt. Just hope people start to miracilously come to life :)

If nobody would mind, I have a kind of Jay Leno joke about when Blair got the news. :P If nobody really minds then I'll tell it.
FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:30 am

Commanche wrote:In Iraq or whatever VILOENCE is the ONLY way Forward! THEY ARE F***ING NUTS!!! :x

We should march in there and give them the IRON FIST!

Commanche, twenty minutes later, wrote:We get bombed by ungided terrorists, we fight back. its a chain which cannot be broken. It's a human flaw, we were designed to act that way. The world sould just declare peace. The Wars Must Stop. FULL STOP.

Heh. :P

ruhoward wrote:none of these would've happened if the UK didn't act like a loyal servant of the US.

If you're going to make controversial political claims, try and at least give some crappy made-up evidence or even a basis for the viewpoint. Maybe that way - just maybe, you understand - you'll seem slightly less idiotic.

ruhoward wrote:politicians from your country are killing civilians in other countries. what goes around comes around. who started it?

Leaving aside the debate over whether or not that's true, which I can't be bothered with right now, let's assume it is. Just for the sake of argument.

I have somehow managed to fail to spot the part where this means that Al Qaeda had to murder innocent fucking people. Like I said, I'm going to accept your crap for now, so I should point out that I'm not saying it's all right for another government to do it. A choice, however, was made and that choice was to kill people. The only people to blame for the murder were the ones who made the choice.

ruhoward wrote:Al Qaeda attacked you after London was named as the site of the 2012 olympics just because they wanted you to know the reason for attacking had nothing to do with olympics but something else.

Wow... you're really reaching new heights here. Not just unfounded, hypocritical, inhumane and badly-expressed - that one doesn't even make any fucking sense. They attacked London as soon as London won the Olympic bid so that no-one would think they were attacking because of the Olympic bid? Do us all a favour and try and make a point that's vaguely fucking coherent.
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:38 pm

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
exosyphen
level2
level2

Postby exosyphen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:27 am

Anyone who has a 'reason' to hurt innocent people, is a shame for mankind.

I feel sorry for the people who suffered from these unfortunate incidents.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:46 am

While these people certainly did not deserve what happened, they were/are members of a democratic nation and as such bear the responsibly for their nation's actions. If the actions of their nation provoke a violent response, then they are in part responsible for that reaction.

I am happily a voting citizen of the United States of America, and I watched the tragedy of 9/11 unfold around me as I stood in my apartment in New York. I was angry at those who had planned and executed that horror, but at the same time felt the attack was just part of being an American. I felt and still feel as I live in New York that part of the price of the freedom of democracy is the possibility of such attacks. I gladly accept the risk and feel that the risk is something I have to accept as part of the price I pay for my freedom. If I have to die because of my freedom, so be it. Freedom is not free and the actions of a nation have consequences (whether those consequences are justified or not).
xMs
level3
level3

Postby xMs » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:02 am

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I gladly accept the risk and feel that the risk is something I have to accept as part of the price I pay for my freedom. If I have to die because of my freedom, so be it. Freedom is not free and the actions of a nation have consequences (whether those consequences are justified or not).

However people should not have to live in fear.
Not directly pointed at you by the way.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:46 am

What a person fears is up to him. I do not fear being the victim of a terrorist attack, even though I recognize that living where I do that is certainly a possibility. Nor do I fear being hit by a car (a much more likely occurrence). It is only when people fear the terrorist that the terrorist have succeeded. I see no reason to let them succeed. If we allow them to dictate how we live and what we do because we fear them, then they have achieved their goal. That however is not to say that we should not recognize that our actions and beliefs have consequences.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:29 am

Apart from those directly affect and there friends and family I personally don't think the attack actually struck fear into people. It seemed to have just pissed people off because they had difficulties getting home.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Darkshine
level5
level5

Postby Darkshine » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:15 pm

This was pretty rubbish...
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Anyone notice that for all the cries of "OMG TERROR" and Bush saying "The war on terror goes on" that London wasn't all that terrorised. Ok, terrible thing, not trying to belittle that, but the next day, they were back to work.

Experience, England has experience dealing with terrorism that few other countries do. They don't let it overtly affect them, because when you do, that's when the terrorists win. When more extreme laws are introduced (Patriot Act anyone?) the terrorists win. You defeat them by not letting it affect you bar the initial burst of violence and it's immediate affects.

Then you go and find the root of the problem, why they are willing to do that, and either find a way to work it out, or if that doesn't work, go in hard and fast and take them out, but only as a last resort.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ

Return to “General”