Postby ToRmEnToR » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:08 pm

Terrorist attack in london.

Terror sucks.
meow
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:15 pm

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
poortwistedme
level5
level5

Postby poortwistedme » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:38 pm

At least there's "only" two dead at the moment.
There's gold in them mountains!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:53 pm

No... there are more. They are not revealing the true numbers at the moment because they are still in a state of confusion

Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:21 pm

Al Qaeda are the first suspects again.

There are thoughts on some websites that some Jewish guy was the target of one of the bombs.

Originally it was thought to be an electrical fault.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:55 pm

When I was at East Croydon train station, on my way to work, they were announcing power faults and signal problems for both train and tube services.

All public transport across London is apparently now stopped.

The Wiki seems to have quite a bit to say
Image: Trapped Underground (nothing graphic)
Last edited by Montyphy on Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poortwistedme
level5
level5

Postby poortwistedme » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:23 pm

12 are alredy dead, and after the bus bombs the death figure is expected to be in the 40s... damn.
There's gold in them mountains!
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:15 pm

I was evacuated from Kings Cross this morning. I would have been on the tube that got bombed between Kings Cross and Russell Square if Kings Cross hadn't been so busy. I couldn't fit on it before it left and I was waiting for the next one when they started telling everyone to evacuate the station. Also, the bus that got hit was just down the road from where I'm working at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
When we were told to leave the station, no-one knew what was up, and everyone was just trudging up the escalators very calmly. Then we heard reports about a power surge when I got to work. Then they said on the radio that a bus had blown up and that was the first real clue that it was something a lot more sinister.
The hospital was put on full incident alert and they converted the whole canteen area in to a casualty area for anyone that arrived. I heard ambulance sirens going all morning.
Scary.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Lucky escape Curio!

Glad your OK.
Curiosity
level5
level5

Postby Curiosity » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:30 pm

Yeah, they just announced there are currently 21 confirmed fatalities on that train.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Bomb scares in the Croydon area. Town centre evacuated - no one hurt

N0ught
level3
level3

Terror?

Postby N0ught » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:02 pm

Please read this whole post - don't skim, otherwise I'll just sound paranoid. And for god's sake, think about how it applies to you...

Terrorism is defined as the use of force, or the threat of force, to achieve a political agenda: getting a political prisoner released, or money, or whatever. There is always some sort of demand.

Blowing up a national monument or assassinating a government official are images used to effect the morale of a country, through the media. They are NOT terrorist attacks against our government - they are attacks against how YOU feel. And with how readily these facts and images are taken and manipulated by the mass media, any organization could start an anti-(insert anything here) campaign, and get full support from thousands of people, if the media covers it right. And all you have to do is be careful about what you let the media hear or see to accomplish that.

Think about it: How did you feel on 9/11? How did the media make you feel? If someone attacks the U.S., they show pictures of people crying and devastation everywhere. In other countries they even show dead bodies, without the faces covered. If the U.S. attacks someone, they show pictures of the supporters, smiling, happy people... or maybe they will just show the protesters burning the american flag. All to manipulate the way YOU think and feel.

A camera will never, EVER get the whole picture, so what you get is what is edited for content. It is a lot like recording a long debate between two people and editing it. You can make the arguement go either way if you want. And if you REALLY get down, and cut out each individual word, you can make them say practically anything you want. The media does this every day. Any quote that comes in or leaves with a "..." is an obvious edit. Others are not so obvious.

A statement coming from, say, an Iraqi citizen sounds great like this:

"I feel less intimidated on the streets now..."

Sounds wonderful doesn't it? The U.S. has done its job yet again!

But wait! What he REALLY said was:

"I feel less intimidated on the streets now that the U.S. soldiers are no longer patrolling with their tanks and M16s."

Quite a bit different aye? This editing (which they call "censorship") is being done every second to every bit of the information you recieve in printed form, everywhere in the world. Even on the internet.

A lie of omission is still a lie. You are being lied to. You are being manipulated. All they have to do is drop a bomb somewhere, blame someone, and season the media coverage with sugar or alum to taste.

Likely, this post will be cut from the forum, proving my point. I'll at least get martyred by the rednecks. But think about what I said, and remember: it's just my opinion. I COULD be wrong.

But somehow I don't think I am.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:09 pm

That's why you look towards unbiased, realiable news sources.

As for 9/11, I personally thought it was Bush that was doing most of the manipulating.

ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:20 pm

I just hope that no-one I knew was on one of the trains or the bus...
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:21 pm

Bush has also been saying he "broke the back" of Al Qaeda. . .

This sort of horrible loss of life is a direct result of leaders not having the courage to fight a true war on terrorism and instead getting sidetracked in Iraq. The terrorist networks remain as strong (if not stronger) than ever. If anything positive can come out of this tragedy maybe it will make people aware of this.

Return to “General”