Chav's and the Daily Express

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Quantum Particle
level3
level3

Postby Quantum Particle » Thu May 19, 2005 10:14 am

ToRmEnToR wrote:People should be forced to do things that they consider moraly wrong.

You. Are. A. Dick.

If someone considers something to be morally wrong, then it can cause them serious psycological harm. Besides the fact that sending people into the military to have there limbs and spirit broken in training is cruel. And dont give me all this 'you need to go through it to truely know yourself' shite; Being in the army will only let you find yourself if you are an army kinda guy. To truely know yourself you must follow your own impulses, and do what you think is right for you. The outcome of that will show you who you truely are. Not being hospitalized in army 'training'.
#Particle man
Particle man
Does whatever a particle can#
My profile!
My forums!
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Thu May 19, 2005 10:21 am

If no one will ever force you to do things that you consider to wrong you will be able to expand only to be limited by your own self later on in life.

I still think that people should experiance as much as they can in life. Especially if those experiances are not pleasant.
meow
Quantum Particle
level3
level3

Postby Quantum Particle » Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 am

But why should you expand beyond what you feel is right and wrong? Once you abandon your concept of morality, you are not really living your life; you are living the life of whoever gave you your morality.
If you fond yourself limited by your morality, then you are following the wrong path.

P.S. Sorry for calling you a dick, that quote just seemed incredebly stupid to me.
#Particle man

Particle man

Does whatever a particle can#

My profile!

My forums!
ToRmEnToR
level5
level5

Postby ToRmEnToR » Thu May 19, 2005 10:50 am

If you fond yourself limited by your morality, then you are following the wrong path.

It looks like I'll have to think about a reply for that sentence for a long while. I'll post one when I'll think about it, but meanwhile I'll write this:

Your morality is a combination of your idiology and your experiances in life.

Your idiology is a combination of your experiances in life and your unique ways of thinking.

Your unique ways of thinking are a combination of human logic and your experiances in life.

You cannot realy define your morality. It changes every day. Now when I think about it, is it might be possible that if everyone on our planet will experiance the same things, they will share the same morality and idiology.

I'm out to school... btw i got my driver licence yesterday yay.
meow
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 am

Sure, I'm up for making people experience new things but I don't think the army should be one of them. There are other ways to "find yourself", experience things and to learn discipline.

Why only try discipline people when they reach the age of 18? In the news you hear things about 9 year olds mugging old ladies, so wouldn't it be a bit late to be trying to change them by then? Surely it would be best to try fix the problem at the source or at least when they're a lot younger.

You have to look at why kids act the way they do in todays society. Sure there are many factors like evironment and social peers which affect how they behave but the main factor has to be the way their parents/family brought them up, at least that's what I believe. After all, I grew up in Peckham and I'm not a drug dealer. I would like to think that was because I managed to overcome my environment and social peers by receiving support from my parents and the way they brought me up. So perhaps what's needed are compulsory parenting courses to teach parents how to discipline their children as well as care for them. This would help fix the problem at the source.

Obviously just teaching parents how to look after their kids isn't going to cure everything. Support would be needed to help the kids overcome their social peers and environment. Not only that but not all people find it easy to learn from books and blackboards, some prefer hands on experience but since most schools can't provide support required for people like this they find the work in classrooms boring and tedious, hence why a lot of them dislike school to the extent that they don't want to attend. That is why better alternatives need to be provided to younger people.

Currently you have to be 16 in the UK before you can opt to take up courses which appeal more to your preferences but a lot of kids know what they want at a younger age than this. Although clearly it's a trade off between teaching them too many of the basics which they feel is irrevelant to what they want from life so they fail to pay attention, and risking not teaching them enough of what they should know whether they like it or not.

For extreme cases of anti-social thugs perhaps they should be sent off to something similar to what they show on "Brat Camp" (yeah, I know bad it's an example and a slight cliché but it seems effective). Hopefully that should help to make them more socialable, but if it doesn't then perhaps some form of chain-gang/community service could be set up. Make them wear some form of uniform and force to work as a team on a project that will help the community. Perhaps nothing as drastic as caring for the elderly (that requires professional training afterall) but more along the lines of cleaning streets, clear graffiti from walls, helping out at homeless shelters, etc. small things where they can be monitored easily.
Last edited by Montyphy on Thu May 19, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu May 19, 2005 11:59 am

Forcing people to do things that are unpleasant is a very diffrent thing from forcing people to do things that they consider wrong. Let's keep that distinction clear.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu May 19, 2005 1:13 pm

Morals, Ideology, Ways of thinking, they're all the bloody same. Based on your thoughts of what you've seen, read, done and been told. Experiences can drastically change these, but your morals couldn't have been that strong if they did. Then again, some experiences can be a good reinforcement. "The Great War", anyone?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu May 19, 2005 4:53 pm

Yeah, everyone should be forced to be a suicide bomber. I mean how else can we say that suicide bombing is wrong if we don't try it? :P
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Thu May 19, 2005 6:32 pm

Heh, touché.

Guys, please, please, please don't start another bloody Israel discussion. Every time I see one I just stop reading the thread because I really couldn't care less about your "unbiased" opinions about the various situations in that region.

Why do so many of you advocate a view that is extreme in one way or another, we all know it only ends in tears. "All this liberal crap" ways of thinking are no more valid than "all this totalitarian crap" ways of thinking. Compromise

Anyway, I think it could be a good idea, if the government could
a)Come up with a suitable system for it
b)Actually convince enough members of parliament to agree to it

Neither seems likely, however.
Weeman
level2
level2

Postby Weeman » Thu May 19, 2005 6:36 pm

Who wants to run into a battlefield shoot strangers and see your buddies die?
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Thu May 19, 2005 6:43 pm

I don't think forcing people to do anything is generally productive in the longterm. I believe the key is to make people want to do community service, join the military, or make people not want to be a chav. I believe this is best done through social methods and education. :)
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Thu May 19, 2005 7:58 pm

Keep to the topic, please

Stewsburntmonkey wrote:I don't think forcing people to do anything is generally productive in the longterm. I believe the key is to make people want to do community service, join the military, or make people not want to be a chav. I believe this is best done through social methods and education. :)

Yay! Someone who agrees with me! Social Manipulation for everyone!
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Thu May 19, 2005 8:06 pm

Social Manipulation for some, miniature American flags for others!
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
the.web.hermit
level1
level1

Postby the.web.hermit » Thu May 19, 2005 8:08 pm

Yay! Propganda for all!
-Understand that the internet is almost devoid of intelligent life. That's the reason for my name.

"God is Dead."- Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is Dead"- God
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Thu May 19, 2005 9:35 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Stews...

And has anyone even stopped to consider the economic ramifications of removing 16-18 year workers from the work place as well as replacing paid employees with a free-land army?

Return to “General”