Mayweather
89%

Total votes: 9
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Arturo 'thunder' Gatti vs Floyd 'pretty boy' Mayweather Jr

Postby DJ_Velocity » Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 am

Now... I don't know if any of you are interested in boxing (hopefully some of you are) but I made this thread because I am a HUGE fan. I'm actually trying to go pro myself, my record stands 14W 8KO 0L 0D (14 wins 8 knockouts 0 losses 0 draws). Anyways, that aside, I am so psyched for this match. It's for the WBC Welterweight Title! I think it's held in Atlantic City, NJ at the Boardwalk Hall, but don't quote me. Anyways, I'm risking being flamed and people getting mad for starting such a stupid thread, but who do you think will win? Keep in mind, Mayweathers never lost (33W 22KO 0L 0D) is ranked the worlds best in his division, is 5 years younger and has 2 inches more of a reach then Gatti... that aside... GO TEAM GO! Haha, I'm thinkin that Mayweather will win, but Gatti brings a fierce fight to the ring. Anybody see the Gatti vs Ward war? (all 3 of them!) Cast your vote now! :)
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Fri May 06, 2005 11:01 am

Mayweather will win, but Gatti'll make him work for it. I'd be surprised to see a KO. Still, Gatti fought a tough bout in Jan. vs. J J Leija, with a great right in the 5th, so who knows? It'll be interesting.

p.s. That's a decent record Player. But think hard about going Pro, and keep your head. Lewis was offered 15 million to return to boxing last year (and could afford to turn it down), but the sport is not gerneraly that well paid, and almost always results in some sort of injury or mental damage. They don't let you wear a helmet, you know...
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Fri May 06, 2005 8:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. I never wear protection for the head in any of my bouts, to me, it's not real boxing. But maybe I'm just stubborn
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Fri May 06, 2005 9:50 pm

Maybe I'm just a pansy. :lol:

(Not that I box anymore anyhow.)

Sorry. I read my post back and it sounded a little preachy. I wan't trying to persuade you or anything: good luck and all that.

I'm no grizzled old boxer with parkinsons or something, don't worry! It's just a few of my friends got into boxing at school, and only one of them realy made anything out of it. It's realy sad when someone thinks boxing is glamourous and finds out too late that the higher-teir fighters don't pull any punches and it's actualy pretty damn painfull. But I guess you know that already.
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Sat May 07, 2005 7:40 pm

Oh I learned that quite quick. I actually am trying to become one of those boxers. I use my strength to my advantage, 6'1" / 195 lbs. I wouldnt really depend on my technique, defence or stamina to get me out of a tough bout, instead I would bet it all on my ability to knock his jaw into his skull, lol
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat May 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Hey, did you hear that there's this whole stereotypical mindless brute image about boxers? Yeah, most people thinkg they're just brain dead musclemen with no skill of any sort who just like to hit people.

Can't think what people base that on :P

"I use my strength to my advantage" is probably one of the silliest things I've ever heard, too, I mean, of course you are gonna do that, but, there's always gonna be someone stronger, and if you're even going to consider turning to boxing as a profession, it sounds like you're gonna need to put some serious work in to getting yourself up to scratch, because currently, I sure as hell wouldn't bet on you doing very well. I mean, don't get me wrong. best of luck and all, but, it just doesn't sound like you're really... there.

Expecially if you think wearing head protection isn't real boxing :P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sat May 07, 2005 11:58 pm

Unfortunatly, the Pro Boxing setup ain't the olympics, and going without head protection is not optional. It makes sense to begin how you mean to go on. And all things are relative. When Player says he doesn't depend on technique or speed, he's probably still faster and more skilled than most if he's got a record like that.

I prefer to watch Olympic bouts, I admit. I consider speed, technique and tactics to be what boxing should be about, rather than actualy testing a competitors true fighting ability: much like fencing does not test a competitors true swordfighting skills. But like I said, I'm a wimp. I can understand that a true gauge of the skill and strength of two combatants comes from a true fight, and you can win that sort of fight by absorbing blows well or dealing out serious punishment.

Boxers are not all brutes. They do make a living by fighting. They are not all mindless. Boxing requires tactics and quick thinking under pretty tough conditions. Most make a serious effort to expand their minds to combat the profesional injuries many of them sustain.

The acid test is to ask them who the Marquis of Queensbury was. Tyson didn't know - and he was a mindless brute.
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Sun May 08, 2005 9:21 am

crap, I fail too. can't say that I know who that is
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Sun May 08, 2005 1:38 pm

DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 am

well I can see how most boxers would know that but my excuse is that my trainer was shot 6 times last July and was presumed dead on arrival. That being said, after his passing at age 19, I had no-one else to show me the ropes and I have been training solo for the last 10 months. Still... maybe I'm not as educated about the sport as I thought I was, hence not knowing what the Marquis of Queensbury was :)
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon May 09, 2005 12:39 am

Don't feel bad: Loads of boxers don't know. You don't need to know who wrote the rules in order to follow them. The thing is, John Douglas (Marquis of Queensbury) was the man who turned boxing into a real sport rather than just a bloody fairground brawl with wagers. His writings are what gave rise to the whole repectable boxing scene, and he had a vision of the "honourable gentleman-fighter" whom he considered to be no less dignified than a swordfighter.
Remember he was writing at a time when every gentleman wore a sword and fist-fighting was only seen in "prize-rings" were wealthy people would find fighters, back them with money and then they would fight pretty much without rules untill one of them was knocked unconsious or died. It was a "dirty" sport, illegal and violent.
A good boxer will work towards the Queensbury attitude, treating his oppolents with respect and recognising that sometimes it's better to lose than to bite someones ear off. It's not just the rules, all his writings are important to boxing. He's like Jigoro Kano is to Judo. Anyone can learn to thow people about, but Judo is also about "kai" and "energy flow" and has all that stuff. Thats what Queensbury gave to boxing - a level beyond the actual sport.
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Mon May 09, 2005 2:06 am

Damb! Thanks man, you really educated me, and I bet a few others too. Anything else that you know about boxing that most people wouldn't know, please share it with us
Last edited by DJ_Velocity on Mon May 09, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Mon May 09, 2005 12:10 pm

Are you being cheeky? :wink:
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Mon May 09, 2005 7:27 pm

Nah man, sorry but it's hard to show sarcasim/anti-sarcasim on the board. but seroulsy, if you know anythin else that is trivial or not known to many people, do tell because I find it very interesting

Return to “General”