Cardinals vote ultra-conservative as new pope.

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

edd8990
level5
level5

Cardinals vote ultra-conservative as new pope.

Postby edd8990 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:16 pm

OK it may be ironic me being an atheist starting this thread, but I have to say I was disappointed with their descision to elect a pope who is this conservative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4462077.stm
Banker
level3
level3

Postby Banker » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:27 pm

I am very satisfied with their choice..
Electing a fanatic like him will probably do the church more harm than good and that's great in my book. :)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:01 pm

Yes, because nations don't go and fuck themselves over what the Pope says. No, they've never gone and done that, never. Really great, awesome in fact, almost superb.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:21 pm

This guy was in the Hitler youth and the Army of the Third Reich. Not the most... politicaly astute decision the Catholic Church has ever made. :lol:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:04 pm

As a Catholic, I am very disappointed with the decision.
However, the up-side is that he's already 78. John Paul II lived to be 85.
Angry Armadillo
level3
level3

Postby Angry Armadillo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:44 pm

Ozymandias IV wrote:However, the up-side is that he's already 78. John Paul II lived to be 85.
this was my first thought, i thought why is he bothereing at that age :-|

heh, what a nice thought it was :)
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:32 pm

I thought the average life expectancy of a Pope was about 6 years?
Lord Ovrkill
level2
level2

Postby Lord Ovrkill » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:02 pm

Well ok I am an atheist too, but I can see the logic behind the choice of a new pope, simple as it can be said, THERE ISN’T ANY! Well I can tell you this much, his election has been done because the church needs to get back to its roots, see Pope Jon Paul was a real figure head, his death has crushed the catholic faith and I think the new pope will have his work cut out if he is to make any kind of mark on the world…
Without a whisper,
Without a trace
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:09 pm

Nah. He's a placeholder pope. They don't expect him to live more than 10 years, while suitable reformist candidates (like the arch-bishop of São Paulo) get a little older.

Interestingly, the name Benedict is almost always assosiated with a reforming or controvertial pope. One wonders why he chose it...
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 pm

I feel the Catholic Church is going to find itself in some major problems in the comming years. Religion by its nature is conservative, but the Vatican is so far out of touch with most Catholics it is rather scarry. I feel the election of Ratzinger to be the next pontif will only serve to reduce the Vatican to a useless symbol. The Catholic Church is in a perfect position to lead a crusade to fight poverty and hunger, but with this election I feel it will fail to take up that crusade and will instead sit and decay even further.
Last edited by Stewsburntmonkey on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DigitalNinja
level1
level1

Postby DigitalNinja » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Why did the Cardinals elect him? Didn't they elect the last one? The NY Yankees should have elected this year...
Psychology: The Original Programming Language

"Mission Over Method, say the rutheless and Forever Forward"
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:59 pm

I'm a lil scared about what i'm about to do... i'm about to defend the Catholic Church - totally out of character... but nonetheless...

[quote=doormat]Hitler youth and the Army of the Third Reich[/quote]

This was at a time when membership of the Hitler Youth was mandatory. Says nothing about his support for facism.

I too was disappointed that the Catholic Church, which has 1.1 billion followers worldwide, choose as its new Supreme Pontiff someone who was so conservative. But, it must be remembered (as Stews noted) religion tends to have conservative effects anyways and the new Pope shares similar beliefs to his predecessor - so not much of a change for the worse... just no change for the better...

And it is the Catholic Church - they are not going to elect a gay woman who has had an abortion... lets be realistic... regardless of how progressive the new Pope might have been it would have made very little difference...[/quote]
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:04 pm

Ratzinger could have used his position to get out of serving in the army. Also, referring to something einstein said, it's true that the church is always conservative, which means they don't have to elect a huge arch-conservative. This is a step backwards.
doormat
level4
level4

Postby doormat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:18 pm

einstein wrote:This was at a time when membership of the Hitler Youth was mandatory. Says nothing about his support for facism.

True, but it still wasn't very savy, was it? I mean, you've got 2 candidates, so: "I know! Lets go with the Nazi! That'll send the right message!"

Morons.

(And actualy, his dad was a brownshirt, and he was an active member, but this was before he found God and before Hitler got pasted. The funny thing is that the BBC keep saying that his dad was a farmer and part-time "policeman"! That's a nice word for it...)
Last edited by doormat on Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Actually they had several million candidates, but whatever. . . :)

Return to “General”