Gateway Mod boggling

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

AutomaticJerk
level0

Gateway Mod boggling

Postby AutomaticJerk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:03 am

Not quite sure if this would go here, or in bug reports, but I'll post here anyway and hope for the best. I've been playing Uplink for a while, and only recently got back into it, though I am now playing it in Linux. And of course, I wanted to install some additional gateways. The problem here, is that I do install them properly (like that's difficult in the first place), but they don't show up.

I know what you're thinking, read the freakin' instructions, n00b.

Well, I have. And I know I didn't miss anything, because when I installed Uplink for winders in VMware (and patched it, of course), it detected the installed gateways. and displayed them. In Linux, Uplink doesn't seem to recognize the fact that I've got additional stuff in the appropriate directories. I even started a new user, and nada. I also know that doesn't really make a difference, because when I rename the images for gateway they don't show up.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm fresh out.

EDIT: forgot to mention, Uplink runs like ass in VMware, so that's not an option
There once was an old man from Esser,
Who's knowledge grew lesser and lesser.
It at last grew so small,
He knew nothing at all,
And now he's a College Professor.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:59 am

Hmm. Are you sure you patched Uplink properly in Linux?
AutomaticJerk
level0

Postby AutomaticJerk » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:10 pm

oh yes, very much so. version shows up as 1.31 and everything. I'm rather sure its not going to be anything as simple as that.

He knew nothing at all,

AgentX 24
level4
level4

Postby AgentX 24 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 pm

I don't have an answer to your problem, but it seems to me that all the Linux posters asking for help we get are nice and polite with good grammar etc, but most of the windows ones are all "OMG GATEWAY SI NO WRK!!!111 UPLINK SI SUX!!!111///11""11". Strange.
Virulent Virus
level4
level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:19 pm

I don't think it's the cause of the problem, but have you tried running the native windows install in Wine [http://www.winehq.com/]? It tends to be more compatible and is the most well known implementation of its type for Linux. The site has links for all of the major distrobutions as well as Windows binaries. Hope this helps ;)
This is not a signature.
AutomaticJerk
level0

Wine

Postby AutomaticJerk » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:03 pm

I haven't really tried using wine for anything in a while; I mostly used it to play Anachronox. Plus, it seems to be kind of a hack, being that there's a linux version of Uplink (which is probably a hack-job in and of itself) :).

I just tried it in Win2k (native, not using VMware for it) and it works beautifully. I'm beginning to wonder if they forgot something as silly as a header or something when they built the linux port. I don't code, so I never bothered to order the dev cd when it was available. Crap. Anybody else have this problem?

He knew nothing at all,

Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:04 am

Well afaik gateway and other mods work fine in Linux, so I'm not sure why your having problems. You'll have to compare notes with another linux player, there are a few around.
AutomaticJerk
level0

Postby AutomaticJerk » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:51 am

Darksun wrote:Well afaik gateway and other mods work fine in Linux, so I'm not sure why your having problems.

AFAIK, gateways and such do work, just not for me at the moment; what I'm asking for is ideas for anything I could have missed.

Darksun wrote: You'll have to compare notes with another linux player, there are a few around.

That was the idea, though I didn't think to put that in the thread name. That's normally something I'd remember. Oops.

He knew nothing at all,

FrostShard
level5
level5

Postby FrostShard » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:21 am

You can still put it in the name, just click "edit" and put it in the title bar thingy at the top.
Rkiver wrote:So as you see, the average person is a fucking idiot.
Linker
level3
level3

Postby Linker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:56 pm

Try running it in Winex/Cedega.
jaybz
level0

Installing Mods for Uplink on Linux

Postby jaybz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:40 pm

I know this is an old post, but just in case you still need the info, or someone out there still needs the info, here it goes.

I've personally ran Uplink on both Windoze and Linux already and my experience on Linux has been far better because of better stability. Now I don't really know why but that's off-topic. My point is I wouldn't be surprised if someone prefers to run Uplink on Linux rather than Windblows but doesn't because he/she can't install the gateway mods. Well here's what I know from experience.

First I'd like to note that these instructions highly depend on how the files were zipped up to begin with. I'll also be assuming that you installed uplink onto /usr/local/uplink. Just replace that with what dir you're using. And also, I'm pretending that whoever will be reading this is a not quite a n00b in terms of linux but not quite l337 yet either. On to the details.

One thing to remember is the fact that Linux is case-sensitive as far as filenames and directories are concerned. To be sure, I renamed all the files and directories to lower case and it works for me. One other thing to remember is that you need to make sure that the owner, group and permissions are correct. This highly depends on your setup, but in mine, i made root owner, games for the group, and rw-r----- (640) for permissions on the files and rwxr-x--- (750). And then I simply add a user to the games group to allow him/her access. Don't worry about the user files/options. They get dumped to ~/.uplink with the correct permissions. Kewl!

A. Installing themes are simple, just unzip them onto /usr/local/uplink making sure that its set up as /usr/local/uplink/[theme name]/[theme files and dirs].

B. Installing a gateway mod is tricky. Uplink is obviously Windozer-centric, unfortunately. The code, partially assumes that when you run uplink, you're current directory is /usr/local/uplink just like when you click on the link made by the installer. I'm guessing here that, just like me, you prefer to be able to just type 'uplink' anywhere. Soft-linking /usr/local/uplink/uplink to /usr/local/bin/uplink will work. But in that case, it can't actually find the files for the gateway mods you installed in /usr/local/bin/uplink/data and in /usr/local/bin/uplink/graphics if you installed it exactly the way you should do it in Windorks. Uplink looks for them in ./data and ./graphics. What I did was:

1. create /usr/local/bin/uplink with this contents:
=====/usr/local/bin/uplink=====
cd /usr/local/uplink
./uplink
cd
=========cut here=========
(if you're good at shell commands/scripting, there's actually a better way to do this but I don't have time to find out how at the moment)

2. chmod and chown it to the same settings as /usr/local/uplink/uplink and that should put you in business.

3. unzip the file somewhere and move the whole data and graphics directory to /usr/local/uplink then setting the right permissions.

C. If you're interested in installing mods made by compiling the source code from the DevCD, then you have to get a linux specific version of the mod. You can't just drop the files for the windows version of the mod onto /usr/local/uplink. It just won'y work in this case.

D. For any other mods, if you did steps 1 and 2 in section B already, then you should be able to install it just as you would install it on Windums. Just make sure you have the right permissions.

If you have continue having problems, just post here. I do a lot of testing on Linux boxes so I have quite a lot of experience as far as getting stuff to run on Linux. Just don't ask me how to compile stuff. I use (warning: shameless plug) gentoo and I hate to admit that I'm spoiled. :wink:

One last thing... I thought of an idea as I was writing this. By altering these instructions you can also have an "uplink user" where you can log in as that user and you automatically get into the game screen.

just my 2 cents... longest 2 cents i've seen though... :)
Spectere_uplink
level4
level4

Postby Spectere_uplink » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:40 am

FYI: Windows bashing got old 10 years ago.
.what.
jaybz
level0

Postby jaybz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 am

Spectere wrote:FYI: Windows bashing got old 10 years ago.

So?
ReflectingGod
level5
level5

Postby ReflectingGod » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:33 am

FYI this post got old 7 months ago, why are you still posting here?
ME!

Procrastination - Hard work often pays of after time, but laziness always pays off now!

**Bibo ergo sum!**
AutomaticJerk
level0

Postby AutomaticJerk » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:44 am

ReflectingGod wrote:FYI this post got old 7 months ago, why are you still posting here?

possibly because he didn't feel that I was given a better answer than "just use windows". I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but that's the best answer I got from this thread, until jaybz put up his dissertation that happens to be incredibly useful.

AutomaticJerk

He knew nothing at all,

Return to “General”