Eduthrax - An idea, an educational one at that..

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:04 pm

Hm, what exam board?
Nakatomi is coming
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:57 pm

http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/writearticle.php

Rudimentary article submission script. And suggestions are welcome, image uploads etc will be added in later stages. Please report any problems you come accross.

Further categories and age ranges are easy to add, just need to insert an extra row into the categories table in mysql to create one.

A list of the different subjects you'd like to see in it would also be useful.
Blasted heath
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:19 am

Just a quick question...
Are you planning on limiting this to National Curriculem (and equivilents) classes, or extending it to extra-curricular studies and post-schooling ones?
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:35 am

You realise that when I've done the article display script I'm going to approve all articles queued.

coolsi.

@Deepsmeg: post-schooling certainly, not sure about extra curricular, but I suppose it doesn't really matter what it is, as long as it is educational, and useful.
Blasted heath
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:08 am

http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/category.php

So far there's only anything approved in the 17-18 agegroup, category 1.

It's so horribly bare as I'm leaving all the design to Flamekebab, and it has to be as bare as possible so he can simply include it into his pages he's designed.

Everything is, for the time being, automatically approved. This is until I've written the approval script.
Blasted heath
camman977
level2
level2

Postby camman977 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:02 am

there needs to be a age range for 14
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:50 am

You're 14?!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:04 am

I'ld be willing to help on the code. I belive there might be secuirty issues with the current example.

NeoThermic
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:10 pm

14-15 age range added.

NeoThermic wrote:I'ld be willing to help on the code. I belive there might be secuirty issues with the current example.

NeoThermic

Pm me with details about said issue.
(I'm presuming it has something to do with the article entitled "*/ show databases /*")

Also remember that this is a VERY basic version, nowhere near complete.
Blasted heath
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:14 am

Ok, I think most of the major security holes are fixed.

I'd be grateful if people could actively try to find and test for any more, again it is set to approve automatically.

http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/writearticle.php
http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/createarticle.php ( will redirect to writearticle.php if nothing is posted )
http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/category.php
http://www.eduthrax.ecwhost.com/article.php

There are a few articles there that don't actually have a file where it's supposed to be, and so will give error messages, but just ignore those, that was from when I was trying something which was reusing an id for some reason. Shouldn't happen for any new articles.

Have now disabled html for articles too - will introduced some form of bbcode into it soon.
Blasted heath
ODDin
level5
level5

Postby ODDin » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:18 pm

It seems that if I don't upload the file, it gives me an error and doesn't post the article at all...

I write something, I click on "Submit article", and it then gives me a screen with files to upload. Since I don't want to upload anything, I just click "Send file" (as it's the only thing there is there), and it gives me an error... and then, when I check, the article isn't there.
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:34 pm

ODDin wrote:It seems that if I don't upload the file, it gives me an error and doesn't post the article at all...

I write something, I click on "Submit article", and it then gives me a screen with files to upload. Since I don't want to upload anything, I just click "Send file" (as it's the only thing there is there), and it gives me an error... and then, when I check, the article isn't there.

I was probably playing around with it at the time. It shouldn't give you errors if you just leave it blank now, but still is when you actually try to upload anything. Please don't attempt uploads as yet.

EDIT: I've just remembered, I turned off automatic approval :lol:

That's why it wasn't appearing, but 'tis there now.
I'll start on an approval script.
Blasted heath
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:54 am

You can fire away with your image uploads now, only jpg, png & gif allowed atm.

To show images in posts, use the bbcode tags [1], [2], [3] & [4]

images are uploaded AFTER article is posted, when you have posted an article you can upload images to it.

Note: You MUST use the bbcode tags to display the images in an article at present, but I may change that at some stage to show them at the bottom.

Max file size is currently at 1MB, I've reenabled automatic approval for testing purposes.

Just remembered Deepsmeg's rating idea, I'll implement that next. Also, I'm considering dropping registering for article submission.
Blasted heath
einstein
level5
level5

Postby einstein » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:44 pm

Darksun you seem to have a pretty good grasp of copyright and intellectual property law.... how so? have you taken a course in it.

But of course Darksun is correct, it is the person who creates a piece of work that owns the copyright in that piece of work and this can only be alienated (given away) by means of an assignation... which you'd know if you had granted. Whereas the right to copy, edit, reprint, etc can be given by means of a license which is what is granted to the exam board in the situation you guys are referring to.

One issue with copyright law - the content of the lectures which you attend, and therefore any transcript (notes) from them are the intellectual propery and copyright of the lecturer - all you are doing is recording it (which in fact completes the copyright...) However, the odds of a lecturer bringing an action is unlikely...
Disco Stuie_uplink
level3
level3

Postby Disco Stuie_uplink » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:17 am

Especially since you're making their job quite a bit easier :wink:

Yeah, I'd happily submit stuff. I did AS spanish, Flamekebab, and I got a pretty good set of grammar-y notes off our teacher (she was wicked), so I could probably digitise them. I have kept loads of other stuff from various GCSE subjects, most of which I keep meaning to get round to typing up, so maybe during the Xmas holidays I will.. as for A levels, I should be able to contribute some Physics, Chemistry, and a shed-load of maths (though our maths course is pretty good, the books are comprehensive); I'm doing Further, so I can contribute Decision, Stats, (first book of each) Mechanics (eventually up to M4) and Pure (eventually to P6). I don't quite know how I'd go about forming the notes for maths, but since it would all be just sums, I think Heinemann/Edexcel would have a hard time claiming copyright. They can't *own* the proof that 2^0.5 is irrational, or the solution of x^3 + 5X^2 +6x +11 = 0, right :wink:

Return to “General”