Eduthrax - An idea, an educational one at that..

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Flamekebab
level5
level5

Eduthrax - An idea, an educational one at that..

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:58 am

Many of us are still in school, including myself. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but we are often required to use the internet to do "research" for various subjects.

The problem comes when we are unable to find anything of use on the matter.

It's all crap.

Many sites do indeed hold items of use - but often one is required to register for such things and one oft must pay a fee to use them.

Weeell..

I have plenty of free space on my hosting and later this week I shall have fairly large amounts of bandwidth for my site. (At present I am using about 100-300mb of my 6GB quota, which will be going up to 25GB soon).

That's the background to it.

Now for my idea.

What if I, or we, were to compile a database of relevant articles, scans of class notes, other educational materials, all of which we have looked at before, personally, ensuring they are of relevance to the subject.

I could do this myself, but I only do three subjects at present, so my notes would be somewhat narrow..

I intend to start building this within the next week.

Opinions?

Oh and of course it would be free.
Last edited by Flamekebab on Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Good idea - but there would be a shit load of stuff to have on there... you'd need a reliable search facility... and you might have problems with copyright... otherwise good idea.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Problems with Copyright?
I have a file of notes.
I type them up.
Voila..

I don't recall there being copyright on the origins of fascism or Spanish verb tables..

Also, a search facility would be unnecessary unless I got large amounts of support, as there wouldn't be enough on the site to need a search facility.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:40 pm

Nakatomi is coming
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:44 pm

I've used Wikipedia.
Don't like it.

Otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered suggesting my idea.
Ozymandias IV
level4
level4

Postby Ozymandias IV » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:14 pm

It sounds like a good idea. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute, because I'm about four years younger, it seems, than everyone else here.

Also, what's the motivation for having people type up their notes and contributing to the site. Perhaps it could be something like: you have to make an account (free) in order to view the site. However, in order to keep your account you must contribute useful materials (Flamekebab can decide at what intervals).
sweaty bob
level5
level5

Postby sweaty bob » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:35 pm

Yer sounds like a good idea btw im watching pron while im typing this...

i could do with some help to pass my GCSE's and i may have some useful material for people in my shoes also,
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:45 pm

I've said to Flame that I'd be willing to help with / design the backend system it uses.
(I've started already actually :P)

Sounds like a good idea, but it'll take a while to get off the ground.
Blasted heath
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:34 pm

There is one thing I am adamant about - I don't want to have users have to register or login to view materials. This is one of the things I find very irritating.

A login for contributers would be good, but not too "in yer face" so as to confuse users.

The motivation?

Erm. What's the motivation behind Open Source?

It's free in both senses.

I might have a donation button eventually - to pay for the hosting and bandwidth, but I am willing to host it free for a good while.

Potentially it could be good.
Banker
level3
level3

Postby Banker » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:43 pm

Sounds like a good idea me thinks..
Me300 wrote:I love how Banker has the uncanny capability cussing all the time while making his arguments.
Flamekebab
level5
level5

Postby Flamekebab » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:59 pm

So who'd be willing to contribute to Eduthrax?

I'd be curious to know who here would contribute and in which subjects, and at what sort of level, come to that.

Sometimes it might help if <depending how horrid your handwriting is> you scanned the notes and the task of typing them up could be split. I know I'd like to type up my own notes as it'd be good revision.
camman977
level2
level2

Postby camman977 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:08 pm

well, i'll help. but i am a frashmen in highschool and am probably young compared to most people here. you should also have a place people could submit their own notes and papers. but i could be a person who sewarchs the net for websites to add that you could put in as helpful websites. i could also help with web page design/devellopment. :)
Blasted heath
level5
level5

Postby Blasted heath » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:23 pm

camman977 wrote:you should also have a place people could submit their own notes and papers.

That's kindof the whole point of it really.

You can browse the system freely, but only have to register to submit anything. I'm pretty much done the logon & verification stuffs, and I'll be starting the submissions script next.

It'll work like so:
You log in and choose a category for your article. You submit your article, and will be given the chance to upload a maximum of 4 images for each article.

The script creates a file on the server and dumps the article content into it. It then writes into the queued submissions database the article id, and which category it is in.

A submissions mod comes along and approves it, the artice id gets shifted into the main part of the database, allowing the article displayer script to access it.

Anyone here that's any good at php is welcome to help :P
Blasted heath
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:31 pm

I'll help if you change the name :P

But I'm willing to submit notes, essays etc, when I finish them. How are you planning on protecting the texts (copyright, creative commons, public domain?), and will users be able to choose what they want their submitted material to be listed as?
edd8990
level5
level5

Postby edd8990 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:51 pm

Flamekebab wrote:
I don't recall there being copyright on the origins of fascism or Spanish verb tables..

If its anythinbg that you send to the exam board, it is copywrited by them. Also, how can you ensure that all the info you are given by other people is not copyright?

Return to “General”