Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Jonosss
level0

can i get

Postby Jonosss » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:50 am

how often/how many times can i get onlink
ive been trying for days

will you release it again to more people?
schumikimi
level2
level2

Postby schumikimi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:20 am

Miah Helpmann wrote:That error?

That error only occurs if you were silly enough to think the Patch Generator actually works yet... you need to start a new user on this Beta...

Onlink crashes right before you should see About Us and Register an agent. So I can't really create a new user in this beta, if you know what I mean.
And that's when the debug.oll says what I said earlier. The 'patchgenerator.ccp'-bug
--You Can't Build A Reputation On What You're Going To Do--
Henry Ford

--Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity--
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:55 pm

You mean to tell me that the patch generator bug occurs upon creating a new user?

Hmm... that is, indeed odd.

I shall be seeing if I get a similar error after my class here...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:24 am

Just a small suggestion, can you change the name of onlink's date folder to something else? Having those gateway definitions exist renders buying gateways in every other mod/version of uplink impossible.
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:24 am

oh crap, i'm sorry, i'll do that...

I was hoping to have it so it wouldn't conflict with anything else... thanks for pointing that out, Mas
Hex22
level3
level3

Postby Hex22 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:35 pm

So, what to do with the patch generator bug? I want to play, but it won't let me!
My name: Hexadecimal 22.
My format: Virus.
My destination: Mainframe. ReBoot! Vote please!!
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:52 am

Uh...

Someone AIM/ICQ/MSN/YIM me and I'll send them Beta3a...

For some reason, I have NEVER run into the issues you guys have, which just seems to defy all logic...

If that person/people has no issues with that, I'll post it public as a replacement for Beta3.

Sorry for the inconvience :(
Saiyanora
level0

Postby Saiyanora » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:49 am

For me it crashes at the same place as schumikimi, with the same error :(

Don't worry about the errors, always happens to me when I release mods for other games... especially the first public release ;)

Will downloads of 3a be limited also?

*You might notice lack of grammar/spelling in my posts, this is because I connect through my mobile phone (with laptop), and I hae to be very quick... otherwise the bill will eat my student loan!
Thehacker256
level2
level2

Postby Thehacker256 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:06 am

The only error I get, is that sometimes a box pops up asking if i want to send the error report (I have XP). If I say "yes," then Onlink closes. I am able to just move the box out of the way and continue playing, but without sound.
I would think of a cool signature, but my titanic brain is too busy pondering more important things.
Vladimir_CDN
level1
level1

Postby Vladimir_CDN » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:07 am

hmm....i get this right when i start the game up:

A Fatal Error Occured in Onlink.

and it quits....how do i fix this?
THE PREDATOR
level0

Postby THE PREDATOR » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:16 am

Problem. The mod wants to jack up when I buy a new gateway. It says "Your mouse is fucked", and won't let me buy any software or hardware, as there are no slots on any of the gateways.
THE PREDATOR
level0

Postby THE PREDATOR » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:23 am

Miah Helpmann wrote:You mean to tell me that the patch generator bug occurs upon creating a new user?

Hmm... that is, indeed odd.

I shall be seeing if I get a similar error after my class here...

Yeah, that mod was bogus. Lots of bugs.
Radhil
level0

Postby Radhil » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:49 am

Well, I only got Uplink a couple weeks ago, and I was already writing up a list of "cool stuff" to add. Then I found this. A project as crazy as I am. Cool. Don't envy you putting all this together that you've got on your front page, Miah.

I am getting the same errors as these guys though. Onlink mod starts in the "first-run" mode where it automatically does the intro to create a first user, and crashes before it gets anywhere. Debug.oll shows the same patch generator thing. I have done the copy data.dat -> data.old. I can't get in to disable sound - is there a command prompt switch to do this at startup? I tried DLing UplinkLauncher, and ended up breaking more things trying to make *that* disable sound... I'd like to see what you've got in there, it just appears to be more difficult that I can figure out blind. :)
Radhil Trebors
Persona Under Construction
Pyrotecnix
level0

Real Simple Fix That Works!!!! For the PatchGen Error

Postby Pyrotecnix » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:44 am

Ok, I tested the crap outta this tryen to get this program to work in windows XP....Well here is the fix you ONLY have to do one thing that is rename Patch.dat in your main uplink DIR to Patch_dat.bak or how ever you would like to name it....Only one hitch if you wish to play the original version of uplink you need to change it back to Patch.dat or just install one more copy of uplink on your box and have two seperate copies of the game which I usualy do when it comes to mods like these in games. So enjoy....btw the sound works but has some bugs in the sound and can also cause your computer to crash and reboot.

Pyrotecnix

PS I hope this helps and I hope a better fix will come along as I know it will with any good programmer props to you Miah Helpmann
for taking your free time to write this mod...Well im outtie
Miah
level5
level5

Postby Miah » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:54 pm

Eh, you mean to say that if you rename patch.dat so it doesn't look for it, it will work fine?

That would at least explain why I personally never had the error that everyone else has...

Could someone verify, please?

Return to “General”