Easy way to filter spam on Gmail

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

itax
level2
level2

Easy way to filter spam on Gmail

Postby itax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:30 am

I foudn an easy way to do this, because the spam can still be irritating, okay the method goes like this:
1) Go to your settings and in your signature type this(in caps):Add the folowing letters to your mail KZRHTY(or some other letters/word) otherwise i won't receive it.
2) Try mailing this to anyone who frequently mails you and/or is important.
3) Go back to settings and click on create filters, there is a box with 'filter email that doesn't contain the folowing words', in the box you must type KZRHTY(or some other letters/word)

Now i don't think spam is advanced enough to read and understand a signature, so...
Also for the first month you should let it still come to your inbox because not everyone will know...

:P Itax :P
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:03 am

Uh what? Well, I've never had spam on Gmail, and the spam filter provided one false positive (well, it was kind of spammish, it was a 'Your friend xxxx wants you to sign up for some crap joke of the day service). We've yet to see what'll happen when gmail goes public though.
itax
level2
level2

Postby itax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:59 pm

I don't know what just happend but i have the account since this morning, i mail some friends and boom! I get emails for penis enlargement (which i really don't need)

Stewsburntmonkey
level5
level5

Postby Stewsburntmonkey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:02 pm

This would also mean you couldn't use your gmail account for much of anything other than personal correspondance, as automated emailers (like the one used on the Darwinia forums to confirm registration will not add the required text and so be filtered out). As Darksun said most spam will be filtered out automatically and so cripling your account by doing what you suggest is really not neccessary. :)
itax
level2
level2

Postby itax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:11 pm

Damn, thats true :(
Lol i was too stupid to realize that

Return to “General”