3-d glasses, are they any good?

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

HairDryer
level2
level2

3-d glasses, are they any good?

Postby HairDryer » Mon May 24, 2004 10:35 am

I've seen a lot of these around and tried a few different types and been mostly dissapointed by the results.

http://www.edimensional.com
I've heard that they're good but remain sceptical about buying them as they seem expensive.

Has anyone here tried these and do they work well or are they just another pair of useless junk?
kitty
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Mon May 24, 2004 10:58 am

I wouldn't go spending a lot of money on 3D glasses personally. How much 3D stuff do you watch/play anyway?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon May 24, 2004 12:25 pm

I've got a friend who has the glasses, and I can say, the first time that I used them, i was shocked, as they do actually work.
As is noted, however, you do need time to adjust to the view, and it does get better the more you use it.
I've used them to play games sucha s UT and Star Trek Elite Force II, and it definatly helps immerse you in the actual game...

NeoThermic
Iceprick.
level0

Postby Iceprick. » Mon May 24, 2004 1:57 pm

Nerd
I'm cool.
menancer
level3
level3

Postby menancer » Mon May 24, 2004 2:09 pm

don't mind that prick

neothermic : i thought the drinking glasses :shock:
Owner of the unique 35000GHz & 1000Gqs+ Gateway

Trust is NOT a weakness...
It is a sickness.

A very insensible person, according to everyone on this forum (only on this)
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Mon May 24, 2004 10:13 pm

Iceprick. wrote:Nerd

Prick...

Ahahahaha!
Nakatomi is coming
The cat
level5
level5

Postby The cat » Mon May 24, 2004 10:21 pm

I think Icepick just got a competitor... LOL..
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Tue May 25, 2004 1:30 pm

Neo
Do they get any overlapping images? I have a pair of similar glasses but after using them for around an hour i guess my eyesight adjusts and the images start to overlap.

Darksun
I prefer to use the glasses for gaming because i like the feeling of depth it gives you. Especially playing splinter cell, counter strike and flight sims. Flight sims seem to work especially well with the motion tracking mouse enabling you to look around your cockpit as if you were in it.
kitty
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Tue May 25, 2004 2:14 pm

That last game I playing using 3D was Magic Carpet. It came with a pair of 3D glasses in the box, it was pretty damn cool, I'll admit.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue May 25, 2004 2:30 pm

HairDryer wrote:Neo
Do they get any overlapping images? I have a pair of similar glasses but after using them for around an hour i guess my eyesight adjusts and the images start to overlap.

The only affect you might get is when you first use them. You will find it very strange to have objects leave your screens physical boundery, and will constantly attempt to dodge them...

You won't get any other affects, as long as you can run a very large refresh rate, remember, the effective rate is half the current rate, due to the way the glasses work, so 120hz is only as affective as normal 60hz.

Its due to the way the glasses work. They contain two very thin filter screens, which are see through when no voltage is there, and then when voltage is applied, block out all light. So, in the first refresh, it shows the screen as if the right eye would see it first, while blanking out the left eye. On the second refresh, it shows the screen as if the left eye was seeing it, and blanks out the right eye. Repeat this for the refresh rate per second, and you will get a 3D effect.

People viewing your screen however, can't really, as the effect to the screen without glasses makes it nearly impossible to use. If you play lots of games, get the glasses, you wont regret it.

NeoThermic
HairDryer
level2
level2

Postby HairDryer » Tue May 25, 2004 3:19 pm

okay you sold it to me thanks neo :wink:
they sound much better than my current ones :P
*waits for the postie*
kitty
Starfyre
level5
level5

Postby Starfyre » Wed May 26, 2004 8:15 am

menancer wrote:

NeoThermic wrote:I've got a friend who has the glasses, and I can say, the first time that I used them, i was shocked, as they do actually work.
As is noted, however, you do need time to adjust to the view, and it does get better the more you use it.
I've used them to play games sucha s UT and Star Trek Elite Force II, and it definatly helps immerse you in the actual game...

NeoThermic

neothermic : i thought the drinking glasses :shock:

:D actually, the text fits perfectly to that as well xD

Return to “General”